Wage cap

I think market place of supply and demand will now bring a sense of realism to football.

The hardship clubs below the premiership are suffering at present will at least in the short to medium term will mean that they review of all of their running costs.  Anything deemed surplus will be cut or dispensed with. 

The largest single cost with a club is wages so that obviously going to hit first. 

A read somewhere their were over 1600 players out of contract this season in lower leagues . With teams cutting costs and looking to offload or re-negotiate existing contracts just to stay afloat this figure will only rise. Squads will become a lot smaller and made up of more youth team players on lower wages. 

An un-enforced wage cap of sorts will be self applied because the money won't be there in football. 

I afraid to say the gravy train for some players may be about to hit the buffers very hard. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Why couldn’t the £20m wage cap include bonuses? If clubs want to offer a bonus then their actual wage cap would be lower. Or, any bonuses can’t exceed a certain percentage of the wage cap. For example, a wage cap of £20m and a maximum bonus of 10% making a total of £22m

As I say though, I really can’t see it happening.

To put it in to perspective, I have a faint recollection that Wolves and Fulham paid out £20m in promotion bonuses the last time they went up

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To put it in to perspective, I have a faint recollection that Wolves and Fulham paid out £20m in promotion bonuses the last time they went up

I don’t doubt it but if a wage cap is considered feasible then I can’t see why a bonus cap wouldn’t be as well. 

14 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

From the flight of that ball it looks like it came from the gun room of HMS Victory.

Imagine trying to kick it, never mind head the thing.

And it burst too!

Those lads earned their £387 per year.(max!) just over £16,000 in 2020 money.

Great to see the Royal family enjoying the game too!

Amazing indeed.  I am sure it was a pretty decent wage for the time. Today it is filthy money

• 1 month later...

Some interesting proposals according to the Daily Mail, other than the £18m cap:

• Wages of U21 players will be excluded
  • 5% 'allowance' (spend £18.9m without punishment)
  • Fines for overspending, up to £3 for every £1 over budget.
  • Money collected from the fines shared equally between all compliant clubs.
  • Squad sizes capped to 25 (U21s probably don't count)
  • Players from relegated clubs have a salary 'registered' as a max of £720k, until a new contract is signed.

Can't see it happening.. No way the Premier League will introduce one and if the EFL do it will be the death of the Championship in terms of quality.. The Premier League would hoover up all the talent as EFL could not hope to compete, say we have a player capped at 20k a week Premier League clubs only have to offer him a bit more and most would jump.. Can only see this in any form as a spectacular backward step.. 

41 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Some interesting proposals according to the Daily Mail, other than the £18m cap:

• Players from relegated clubs have a salary 'registered' as a max of £720k, until a new contract is signed.

On the last point , I can see teams just about to be relegated from the prem to offer all their players who are on high wages a new contract so that their real wages dont impact this...

51 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Seems highly unlikely

Parry seems to be firmly against parachute payments in their current form and this proposal suits teams coming down from the Premier League much more than any team currently in this league

It also doesn't account for the income potential of clubs - Teams who have more fans, larger stadiums, more/better sponsorship etc have no way to apply use of that - Teams will end up spending whacking amounts on signing bonuses instead of more manageable weekly wages

On 18/05/2020 at 23:40, IslandExile said:

Yeah, I'm hoping the "top six" split off into some European super duper League and allow real competition to begin in their wake.

Scotland would benefit so much without the old firm, though I guess Hearts and Aberdeen may then dominate without measures in place to encourage competition.

That would be bad for English football. And Scottish

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I saw that - the way we are going hardly any of our first team would count ???

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Seems highly unlikely

Parry seems to be firmly against parachute payments in their current form and this proposal suits teams coming down from the Premier League much more than any team currently in this league

It also doesn't account for the income potential of clubs - Teams who have more fans, larger stadiums, more/better sponsorship etc have no way to apply use of that - Teams will end up spending whacking amounts on signing bonuses instead of more manageable weekly wages

Just make all teams accepting parachute payments start on minus 12 points - that would even things up a bit 

On 20/05/2020 at 22:28, Ambitious said:

A wage cap works to level the playing field, but what happens when teams get relegated with a £100m wage budget? 

It just creates more problems, especially as the Premier League continues to grow at a substantial rate. It only makes it worse. You would have kids playing in the u23 on more than the top earner in the Championship, in fact it wouldn’t even be close.

Close the Premier League up and focus the football league into a national league. It really is the most sensible option. You could then bring in all the financial restrictions you could possibly want as there would be a clear divide between the Premier League and the Football League. 

This shows the problem with the football league separation from the Premier League. It won't work unless the Premier League brings in a wage cap as well.

On 18/05/2020 at 22:22, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I agree with the idea of capping players' wages in general. Footballers are on stupid money. But if there is to be a wage cap it needs to be agreed to globally and implemented in all leagues worldwide... otherwise players will just move to where the money is.

I agree that they are ridiculously overpaid. 1.5 million £££ a year for playing second division football? Absolutely crackers.

however I don’t think that there are that many options for players to move. Didn’t China put a lid on foreign imports. There are a few opportunities in America, but there’s not enough opportunities out there for a mass exodus.

6 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

This shows the problem with the football league separation from the Premier League. It won't work unless the Premier League brings in a wage cap as well.

The Premier League wage cap would be significant in comparison to ours. Man Utd spent £352m on wages last season and still made a decent profit - £20m. The Premier League will also continue to garner interest worldwide, whereby the new television deal could see wages even double again over the next 5-10 years.

The separation between the Premier League and Championship, financially, is only ever going to get wider. Although, you could easily say something similar about League One clubs coming into the Championship. The three teams who won promotion last season are all in a relegation battle, two of which will arguably go down until the point deductions come to save them. I think most U23 Premier League clubs have a bigger budget than some League 1 and 2 clubs. 

I do think that there will be some issues going forward, it will just become untenable. I can only assume that at some point we will see a cut off where the Premier League becomes its own entity and the Football League becomes a 'national league'. The Premier League will be sold as a more worldwide brand with games being played abroad. 

17 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The Premier League wage cap would be significant in comparison to ours. Man Utd spent £352m on wages last season and still made a decent profit - £20m. The Premier League will also continue to garner interest worldwide, whereby the new television deal could see wages even double again over the next 5-10 years.

The separation between the Premier League and Championship, financially, is only ever going to get wider. Although, you could easily say something similar about League One clubs coming into the Championship. The three teams who won promotion last season are all in a relegation battle, two of which will arguably go down until the point deductions come to save them. I think most U23 Premier League clubs have a bigger budget than some League 1 and 2 clubs. 

I do think that there will be some issues going forward, it will just become untenable. I can only assume that at some point we will see a cut off where the Premier League becomes its own entity and the Football League becomes a 'national league'. The Premier League will be sold as a more worldwide brand with games being played abroad. 

We spend more on our academy than what 34(ish) L1/2 clubs earn.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We spend more on our academy than what 34(ish) L1/2 clubs earn.

I didn't think it would be that much, but it makes sense. I do think we will see the likes of Wycombe and Coventry struggle to really make an impact in the Championship, similarly to Barnsley and Luton. Although, if the EFL start dishing out point deductions then you never know. 

Parachute payments are not as big a deal as people make out. Teams relegated from the Premier League are not much more likely to get promoted again the following season than they are in the other divisions. Despite the additional wealth, the toxic nature of relegation seems to destroy the morale of a club. Admittedly, this is aided by other Championship clubs over-spending to compete with them.

The issue with a Championship wage cap forcing players elsewhere could be remedied by having a 25 man squad in the Premier League so that they avoid hoarding up the talent on the cheap. The best of the rest would then have to try elsewhere, namely the Championship. Its long been established that very few British players can play at the top level abroad so they are unlikely to disappear off into the sunset. 

7 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Parachute payments are not as big a deal as people make out. Teams relegated from the Premier League are not much more likely to get promoted again the following season than they are in the other divisions. Despite the additional wealth, the toxic nature of relegation seems to destroy the morale of a club. Admittedly, this is aided by other Championship clubs over-spending to compete with them.

The issue with a Championship wage cap forcing players elsewhere could be remedied by having a 25 man squad in the Premier League so that they avoid hoarding up the talent on the cheap. The best of the rest would then have to try elsewhere, namely the Championship. Its long been established that very few British players can play at the top level abroad so they are unlikely to disappear off into the sunset. 

Premier League clubs are already restricted to registering a maximum of 25 players in their squad.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But that's a different matter. It sounds like you're suggesting a club needs to sell a player as soon as they turn pro?

I had a quick look at the PL squad list.

Bournemouth were first listed, 25 in the main list, and a further 58 academy/U 21's, including a few with first team appearances.

I'd imagine they've probably got one of the smaller overall squads too.

It will be interesting to see the impact if UEFA do set a small limit on the amount of loans out you can make.

Archived