Wage cap

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I never thought a breakaway premier league would ever happen but I think it's the only way I can see the other 72 clubs competing for anything.

A Premier League 2 would be so much better for the likes of Derby, Leeds, Forest etc. The bigger clubs in the Championship get shafted really badly by the TV deal, when such clubs get incredibly high viewership. For saying the Championship has one of the highest viewership in the world (I think it was the 5th largest, but citation needed on that one), the value of the TV deal is pathetic. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

A wage cap in football should reflect the wage cap one has in spending in one's life.

If you can't afford something then don't buy it.

That way you'll never be in debit.

Why has anybody in football, ever thought of that before I wonder.

Simple and effective really.

Sadly, real life has moved away from the save then spend mantra about 40 years ago. Firstly Thatcher but then every government since has extolled the virtue of getting credit so you can have what you want NOW and pay at some point in the future - if ever.

Football has not lead this phenomenon, but it has joined in.

A global football wage cap would be great but I don't think it is necessary beyond the Championship. Foreign players would be less likely to play in the Championship and the standard would go down somewhat, but the English lads won't lkely go anywhere as there are very few English players that have been successful outside of the British Isles. 

And for those that think that the EFL undersell the TV rights, may I remind you what overpaying did to ITV Digital. The interest from TV networks and advertisers is far, far less than the Premier League. The rights are worth what the broadcasters are prepared to pay and the broadcasters cannot sell their subscriptions based on Championship football and not much else. Only the Premier League and Champions League can sell mass subscriptions. 

A potential wage cap just feels like yet another unnecessary intervention from the EFL, restricting owners from spending money which is theirs to spend. Just as with FFP, why not just let owners spend what they want to? All these restrictions do is keep the status quo in place and take away any dreams of smaller clubs making their way up the leagues. Only the established elite clubs stand to benefit. It’s not like the restrictions FFP put in place have stopped clubs going out of business - you only need to ask the fans of Bolton, Bury etc. I’m sure this will have just as little positive effect. All a wage cap will bring about is a drop in quality within the championship as better players move to other countries - leaving a massive gap between the Premier League and Championship that’ll become impossible to pass.

17 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, I'm hoping the "top six" split off into some European super duper League and allow real competition to begin in their wake.

Scotland would benefit so much without the old firm, though I guess Hearts and Aberdeen may then dominate without measures in place to encourage competition.

Although Hearts were bottom of the SPL and have just been relegated (subject to legal challenge).

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

All these restrictions do is keep the status quo in place and take away any dreams of smaller clubs making their way up the leagues. Only the established elite clubs stand to benefit. It’s not like the restrictions FFP put in place have stopped clubs going out of business - you only need to ask the fans of Bolton, Bury et

FFP hasn't stopped smaller clubs going up the leagues. The amount of clubs going into administration has also dropped dramatically since FFP. 

The average wage in the EPL is 5 times that of an EFL player. Yet the clubs that go between the leagues change every year, just as they did prior to the enormous sums of money going to the EPL. A wage cap might make the game more affordable for the supporters. 

On 19/05/2020 at 20:05, The Key Club King said:

FFP hasn't stopped smaller clubs going up the leagues. The amount of clubs going into administration has also dropped dramatically since FFP. 

The average wage in the EPL is 5 times that of an EFL player. Yet the clubs that go between the leagues change every year, just as they did prior to the enormous sums of money going to the EPL. A wage cap might make the game more affordable for the supporters. 

I don't think a wage cap would make any difference to the cost of attending football matches. It would just reduce the number of clubs living beyond their means. Reducing costs (with a wage cap) helps balance the books. If you also reduce income (cheaper for supporters) that would negate the benefits of the cost savings. 

A wage cap works to level the playing field, but what happens when teams get relegated with a £100m wage budget? 

It just creates more problems, especially as the Premier League continues to grow at a substantial rate. It only makes it worse. You would have kids playing in the u23 on more than the top earner in the Championship, in fact it wouldn’t even be close.

Close the Premier League up and focus the football league into a national league. It really is the most sensible option. You could then bring in all the financial restrictions you could possibly want as there would be a clear divide between the Premier League and the Football League. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

A wage cap works to level the playing field, but what happens when teams get relegated with a £100m wage budget? 

It just creates more problems, especially as the Premier League continues to grow at a substantial rate. It only makes it worse. You would have kids playing in the u23 on more than the top earner in the Championship, in fact it wouldn’t even be close.

Close the Premier League up and focus the football league into a national league. It really is the most sensible option. You could then bring in all the financial restrictions you could possibly want as there would be a clear divide between the Premier League and the Football League. 

Is that you Phil Gartside?

FFP was brought in to police clubs' financial behaviours and it has been treated with absolute contempt. What difference would a wage cap make in levelling the playing field and making clubs exercise control?

One of three things would happen in my opinion. Clubs would look for every little loophole they could exploit. Clubs would break the rules and take the hit. Or most likely of all, clubs would simply incentivise players in another way. It could be through bonuses. It could be through sponsorship deals. It could be through a merchandise deal. The more ambitious clubs would be prepared to get inventive.

If Mel Morris could find a way to bring Wayne Rooney to Derby County, there's no doubt in my mind that he would find ways to work around a wage cap.

All things being equal, smaller, less established clubs will still be disadvantaged. As a player, imagine money is no longer a factor, you then start to think about the prestige of joining a particular club and the prospects there, or the lifestyle moving to a particular area will afford you.

Unless Barnsley want you to be a key player and Fulham want you to clean the toilets, it's still going to be a straightforward choice by and large.

On 18/05/2020 at 22:22, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

I agree with the idea of capping players' wages in general. Footballers are on stupid money. But if there is to be a wage cap it needs to be agreed to globally and implemented in all leagues worldwide... otherwise players will just move to where the money is.

19enks.jpg

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

FFP was brought in to police clubs' financial behaviours and it has been treated with absolute contempt. What difference would a wage cap make in levelling the playing field and making clubs exercise control?

One of three things would happen in my opinion. Clubs would look for every little loophole they could exploit. Clubs would break the rules and take the hit. Or most likely of all, clubs would simply incentivise players in another way. It could be through bonuses. It could be through sponsorship deals. It could be through a merchandise deal. The more ambitious clubs would be prepared to get inventive.

If Mel Morris could find a way to bring Wayne Rooney to Derby County, there's no doubt in my mind that he would find ways to work around a wage cap.

All things being equal, smaller, less established clubs will still be disadvantaged. As a player, imagine money is no longer a factor, you then start to think about the prestige of joining a particular club and the prospects there, or the lifestyle moving to a particular area will afford you.

Unless Barnsley want you to be a key player and Fulham want you to clean the toilets, it's still going to be a straightforward choice by and large.

Just a thought but, I reckon if it ever did happen (which I don't think it will) then hopefully bonuses would be included in the cap.

If the purpose of the cap is to stop clubs getting into financial difficulty and spending beyond their means, then surely personal sponsorship or merchandising deals for high profile players would be OK. The players concerned would only receive the income if a specific sponsorship deal is secured. Therefore, the club's finances would not be at risk. If Bet32 wanted to sponsor Rooney personally to have his head shaved to spell out their name then it wouldn't endanger the club's financial position but it would if Derby agreed to give him a salary of £xxx,000 per week. 

A wage cap is essential. Players are massively over rewarded. 

Championship Chairman are spending money they haven't got chasing the financial returns in the premier league. 

But unfortunately the next counter move would be the dubious payments game and bungs.

We got booted out of Europe for that once.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Just a thought but, I reckon if it ever did happen (which I don't think it will) then hopefully bonuses would be included in the cap.

If the purpose of the cap is to stop clubs getting into financial difficulty and spending beyond their means, then surely personal sponsorship or merchandising deals for high profile players would be OK. The players concerned would only receive the income if a specific sponsorship deal is secured. Therefore, the club's finances would not be at risk. If Bet32 wanted to sponsor Rooney personally to have his head shaved to spell out their name then it wouldn't endanger the club's financial position but it would if Derby agreed to give him a salary of £xxx,000 per week. 

How do you factor in promotion or avoid relegation bonuses? Promotion bonuses already aren't included in P&S so I wouldn't be surprised if it's any different with a wage cap or relegation bonuses. "Join us on £10k per week but help us to avoid relegation and you earn a £1m bonus"

A £20m wage cap almost equates to a squad of 20 on £20k pw. However, if they were on £10k pw and earned a £1m extra in bonuses, the club would only be using half of their wage cap but actually spending £10m more over the season.

Would goal bonuses count? If they do, then you're incentivising clubs to adopt a defensive approach and grab 1-0 wins. Surely that's the opposite to what football should be about.

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

A wage cap is essential. Players are massively over rewarded. 

Championship Chairman are spending money they haven't got chasing the financial returns in the premier league. 

But unfortunately the next counter move would be the dubious payments game and bungs.

We got booted out of Europe for that once.

Wage cap as a percentage of income? Yes.

Wage cap with an absolute figure across all clubs? No.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How do you factor in promotion or avoid relegation bonuses? Promotion bonuses already aren't included in P&S so I wouldn't be surprised if it's any different with a wage cap or relegation bonuses. "Join us on £10k per week but help us to avoid relegation and you earn a £1m bonus"

A £20m wage cap almost equates to a squad of 20 on £20k pw. However, if they were on £10k pw and earned a £1m extra in bonuses, the club would only be using half of their wage cap but actually spending £10m more over the season.

Would goal bonuses count? If they do, then you're incentivising clubs to adopt a defensive approach and grab 1-0 wins. Surely that's the opposite to what football should be about.

Why couldn’t the £20m wage cap include bonuses? If clubs want to offer a bonus then their actual wage cap would be lower. Or, any bonuses can’t exceed a certain percentage of the wage cap. For example, a wage cap of £20m and a maximum bonus of 10% making a total of £22m

As I say though, I really can’t see it happening.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I have it on very good authority that the average promotion bonus for a player , even if they haven't kicked a ball for you all season and have been on loan elsewhere was averaging 500k 10 yrs ago . God knows what it is now.

On 19/05/2020 at 10:36, BathRam72 said:

I love the commentary 'Here comes the first goal and the fans go goal crazy' as everyone in the crowd are smiling in their suits. Different times.

From the flight of that ball it looks like it came from the gun room of HMS Victory.

Imagine trying to kick it, never mind head the thing.

And it burst too!

Those lads earned their £387 per year.(max!) just over £16,000 in 2020 money.

Great to see the Royal family enjoying the game too!

Archived