The Killer (2024) - 4/10

Assassin (2015) - 2/10

A Quiet Place : Day One - 8/10

Milk & Serial - 6/10

After Hours - 7/10

Last Straw - 5/10

Wolfs - 7/10

Strange Darlings - 7/10

I thought 'In a Violent Nature' was really slow and bordering on tedious.

Reminded me of 'Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer'. Obviously some point about the mundane nature of murder, but just left me cold.

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I thought 'In a Violent Nature' was really slow and bordering on tedious.

Reminded me of 'Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer'. Obviously some point about the mundane nature of murder, but just left me cold.

I enjoyed the fact it was from the killer’s POV for the majority of it.  Admittedly it could’ve done with 10 or so minutes of him walking cut out, but other than that it was really good

23 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I enjoyed the fact it was from the killer’s POV for the majority of it.  Admittedly it could’ve done with 10 or so minutes of him walking cut out, but other than that it was really good

It's definitely picked up a lot of plaudits, so I'm in the minority.

I felt like I was watching the kids play a horror, POV computer game. Just a generic character wandering round aimlessly, happening upon somebody and killing them. Followed by more aimless walking along boring fields. Really made me feel nothing.

It was all definitely a deliberate artistic choice so I was just missing the point I suppose. 

Nocturnal Animals (Netflix)

Loved this & the more I think about it, the more I love it. 
Amy Adams is living a superficially privileged life & receives a book, written by her ex-husband (Jake Gyllenhaal). The film is then a mix of her real life story, and the plot of the book she’s reading. 

Just a warning that there’s a very stressful sequence early on (from the book story) which almost made me give up, but I’m glad I didn’t. 

9/10

Prey...on film 4, Predator movie, Set in Native America in 1719, Loads of blood and snot, The female Native is a cool cat taking on the Predator, guess who wins☺️..."If it bleeds we can kill it" 

5/10

An absolute classic 'Bad Science' movie - there is precious little that is right about it, but if you want a man in a car outpacing a pyroclastic flow, the Earth's crust rotating 2000 miles around the planet's core, California dropping into the Pacific Ocean, magnetic pole reversal and neutrinos interacting with, well, anything really, this is the film for you.

0/10 for reality, 9/10 for fun.

I love bad science films, and this one's 'worse' (at least from a scientific accuracy perspective) than most. NASA named it as "... the most absurd and scientifically flawed sci-fi blockbuster in recent memory" - which is as good a review as it gets in my book.

Edited by Eddie

Violent Night

First Christmas movie of the year.

a jaded and disillusioned Santa Claus (David Harbour) finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. His reindeer have apparently headed back to the North Pole, and Santa has just found the 'good stuff' which he finds preferable to the usual glass of milk.

Speaking of 'wrong place at the wrong time', that could be said for the crooks and mercenaries who turn up, expecting an easy and profitable heist. They reckon without Santa's sledgehammer and Trudy (Leah Brady) who most definitely watched 'Home Alone'.

Well worth watching.

8.5/10

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Violent Night

First Christmas movie of the year.

a jaded and disillusioned Santa Claus (David Harbour) finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. His reindeer have apparently headed back to the North Pole, and Santa has just found the 'good stuff' which he finds preferable to the usual glass of milk.

Speaking of 'wrong place at the wrong time', that could be said for the crooks and mercenaries who turn up, expecting an easy and profitable heist. They reckon without Santa's sledgehammer and Trudy (Leah Brady) who most definitely watched 'Home Alone'.

Well worth watching.

8.5/10

@Day will not be happy.

19 hours ago, Eddie said:

An absolute classic 'Bad Science' movie - there is precious little that is right about it, but if you want a man in a car outpacing a pyroclastic flow, the Earth's crust rotating 2000 miles around the planet's core, California dropping into the Pacific Ocean, magnetic pole reversal and neutrinos interacting with, well, anything really, this is the film for you.

0/10 for reality, 9/10 for fun.

I love bad science films, and this one's 'worse' (at least from a scientific accuracy perspective) than most. NASA named it as "... the most absurd and scientifically flawed sci-fi blockbuster in recent memory" - which is as good a review as it gets in my book.

I'm so gonna watch this now 🤣

Edited by Comrade 86

How It Ends

There are 'Bad Science' movies - and then there are just bad movies. 'How It Ends' is an example of the latter. Society breaks down, but nobody seems to know why. The film is a road trip which follows the following path:

• Car running out of fuel
  • Find fuel
  • Get robbed of fuel
  • Get fuel back again

... repeatedly from Chicago to Seattle.

• Roads are blocked by the Military and/or Militias.
  • Forest Whittaker dies
  • Get to Seattle

All the while, nothing happens to explain why nothing happens. Every cliffhanging moment has an anticli8mactic conclusion. All power, internet, cell coverage is down. There's a volcanic eruption and another instance of a car being able to out-run a pyroclastic flow, and then the hero gets there and meets the missus again.

The whole thing seems to be one "Wouldn't it be a good idea if this happens" sub-plot after another, with no explanation of why it happened in the first place.

Bizarre and, frankly, rather dull.

On 15/10/2024 at 00:38, Eddie said:

After some wonderful critique I thought I'd give it a go, After some superb driving and great piloting after only 2 lessons while the whole of California is crumbling and are able to🤷‍♂️...well I don't know😏 as it put "the disaster movie world" to shame, I couldn't stand another circa 100mins.

I have now rewound the film and got back those 50+mins 😁 

4 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

After some wonderful critique I thought I'd give it a go, After some superb driving and great piloting after only 2 lessons while the whole of California is crumbling and are able to🤷‍♂️...well I don't know😏 as it put "the disaster movie world" to shame, I couldn't stand another circa 100mins.

I have now rewound the film and got back those 50+mins 😁 

Can't everyone fly a plane between two collapsing skyscrapers after just two lessons? You should have seen him flying the Tupolev later in the film - another instance where pyroclastic flows don't move as fast as they ought to.

A Man Called Otto

Perhaps it's time for me to have a break from 'Bad Science' and 'Bad Santas' for a while, so I've just armed myself with a nice Tripel and watched Tom Hanks in this emotional rollercoaster. 

I laughed, I cried, I had a second beer. I absolutely loved this film. Tom Hanks is amongst my favourite actors alongside Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood. Perhaps it's because I found myself identifying with grumpy old Otto (apart from the 'attempting suicide' bit).

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Can't everyone fly a plane between two collapsing skyscrapers after just two lessons? You should have seen him flying the Tupolev later in the film - another instance where pyroclastic flows don't move as fast as they ought to.

If only those in Pompeii that got caught up in the explosion of Vesuvius could have out run a 500mph pyroclastic surge the 100meter race would have set a world record never to be beaten 😁