Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Knives Out. 

Utter s****. Just Daniel Craig talking in an annoying voice for two hours explaining away non-existant plot points about who killed an old guy who you don't care a jot about.

Fell asleep three times.

Conor Doyle, Connor Sammon and James O'Connor rolled into one.

Watched the Glass Onion first and wasn't madly keen, but thought I'd try the first and purportedly superior first outing. Gave up around 30 minutes in. More ham than a butcher's shop.

Craig made for an excellent Bond, where his bristling masculinity and limited characterisation were actually assets, but his casting as Benoit Blanc is unfathomable. 

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Watched the Glass Onion first and wasn't madly keen, but thought I'd try the first and purportedly superior first outing. Gave up around 30 minutes in. More ham than a butcher's shop.

That's sort of the point of the Murder Mystery genre, though. the old Agatha Christie adaptations were full of it.

I didn't enjoy Glass Onion as much as Knives Out. I thought it was dull for the first hour or so - until the dog leg structure came into play and the plot changed. After that I thought it was decent but the script wasn't as witty and the cast not as strong as Knives Out.

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

That's sort of the point of the Murder Mystery genre, though. the old Agatha Christie adaptations were full of it.

Agree to a point, but a) I'm not offering an opinion on Agatha Christie adaptations and b) that style works well with a Peter Ustinov, a David Suchet or an Alfred Molina, but it really doesn't with a Daniel Craig which is 'sort of the point' I'm making ?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Agree to a point, but a) I'm not offering an opinion on Agatha Christie adaptations and b) that style works well with a Peter Ustinov, a David Suchet or an Alfred Molina, but it really doesn't with a Daniel Craig which is 'sort of the point' I'm making ?

To be fair, I think the popularity of the two films suggests it has worked in most people’s eyes. I think he’s great.

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair, I think the popularity of the two films suggests it has worked in most people’s eyes. I think he’s great.

I can't really offer opinions based on other folks' reactions to the films, can I? Not really the point of the thread. I'm not looking to piss on people's chips I just thought this thread was to 'review the last film' we've seen ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Me too & I read that he really enjoys the role as well.

He wasn't exactly a household name pre-Bond though, so I can understand why it could be a shock for some (uncultured philistines?)

I enjoyed both of them. But I didn't think Glass Onion was that clever. I called a lot of it. And the "omg" moment of what actually happened during the glass switch. I saw that in real time too so the whole "what you saw or what you THINK you saw" thing was wasted. 

I've watched Ghostbusters 2 (1989) and I loved it just as much as when I was a kid. But I didn't realise it's been absolutely panned. In my head it was a classic. But according to reviews from audiences and critics it's a bad movie and Bill Murray wanted no part in a third. 

I thought the 80's didn't make mistakes

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Me too & I read that he really enjoys the role as well.

He wasn't exactly a household name pre-Bond though, so I can understand why it could be a shock for some (uncultured philistines?)

Folk need to watch Our Friends in the North - you'll see a whole new side to him - might even realise he's an actor that can do roles other than Bond.....

12 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Folk need to watch Our Friends in the North - you'll see a whole new side to him - might even realise he's an actor that can do roles other than Bond.....

FWIW,  I've not said Craig can't act, only that he's not suited to the role in question, but as an uncultured philistine, I'll defer.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

20 hours ago, Alpha said:

I enjoyed both of them. But I didn't think Glass Onion was that clever.

For such a hyped film, with such a cast, I thought it was really poor - plot was tenuous and hard to buy into large chunks of it, even for a bit of Christmas fun. And whoever wrote it has a real Elon Musk fixation.

Good film: RRR. It's a Bollywood spectacular, not too much singing and dancing but still enough to warm your heart. I've lived in India so maybe it touched a bit of nostalgic memories but it just makes you feel good. It is long, first half an hour is slow but do persevere. Think Marvel meets period drama and you're about there.

On 02/01/2023 at 21:46, JoetheRam said:

Knives Out. 

Utter s****. Just Daniel Craig talking in an annoying voice for two hours explaining away non-existant plot points about who killed an old guy who you don't care a jot about.

Fell asleep three times.

Conor Doyle, Connor Sammon and James O'Connor rolled into one.

Your review made me laugh more than the film. 

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

The Pale Blue Eye - Eery, macabre and well acted murder mystery. 

8/10

Looking forward to that now we have finished the brilliant Mayor Of Kingstown last night.

I'd pay good money to watch Christian Bale buy a newspaper when he was 5p short and the newsagent insisted he pay it. That on its own is a great movie pitch.

6 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Looking forward to that now we have finished the brilliant Mayor Of Kingstown last night.

I'd pay good money to watch Christian Bale buy a newspaper when he was 5p short and the newsagent insisted he pay it. That on its own is a great movie pitch.

It's another strong outing from Bale. Some nice cameos too, including a rather svelte looking Timothy Spall.

Glad you enjoyed Mayor of Kingstown. I'm looking forward to S02 due out in Feb I think?

Jeremy Renner apparently recovering well after what sounds like a pretty nasty accident too. 

See how they run

This really should have been right up my street. A who-dunnit with comedy about murders occuring around a performance of The Mousetrap. Well reviewed too.

Average 6/10 for me. Quite disappointed. Should have watched Clue for the hundredth time instead.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's another strong outing from Bale. Some nice cameos too, including a rather svelte looking Timothy Spall.

Glad you enjoyed Mayor of Kingstown. I'm looking forward to S02 due out in Feb I think?

Jeremy Renner apparently recovering well after what sounds like a pretty nasty accident too. 

Season 2 starts this Sunday so we've timed it nicely.