Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 03/04/2018 at 20:13, 86 points said:

Been watching a lot of Korean cinema recently. Some seriously good stuff out there without the OTT Woo type choreography or the geekiness of Chinese or Japanese equivalents.

I Saw The Devil - stunning cinematography and no holds barred - not for the faint-hearted but not overtly gratuitous. Think 'Seven' but flipped upside down and you won't be far off the mark.

8.5/10 an artful Asanovic

Serious question, when does anyone sit down and think, I will give Korean movie a go tonight?

I can only assume drugs and or alcohol were involved. I am sure it's good but that was a big leap of faith going into that. North or South Korean stuff? :o

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Serious question, when does anyone sit down and think, I will give Korean movie a go tonight?

I can only assume drugs and or alcohol were involved. I am sure it's good but that was a big leap of faith going into that. North or South Korean stuff? :o

So you've never seen movies like Old Boy or A Bittersweet Life? IMDB provides an instant frame of reference for those with open minds.

In any case, it's a recommendation is all, no real need for the snarky comments or inferences about my lifestyle. If you want to watch it, do so, if you don't, then don't :thumbsup:

I thought everyone liked Oldboy? I really like Sympathy for Mister Vengeance as well.

I love a good foreign language film. I don’t see why anyone would deliberately cut themselves off from entire film industries. Their loss. The only kind of foreign language film I’d avoid watching is the musical Bollywood types.

Foreign language films are a bit of a pain in the arse at night when you’ve got heavy eyelids though.

1 minute ago, StringerBell said:

I thought everyone liked Oldboy? I really like Sympathy for Mister Vengeance as well.

I love a good foreign language film. I don’t see why anyone would deliberately cut themselves off from entire film industries. Their loss. The only kind of foreign language film I’d avoid watching is the musical Bollywood types.

Foreign language films are a bit of a pain in the arse at night when you’ve got heavy eyelids though.

Well put Mr Stringerbell. I would have explained all this myself but given the response I just couldn't be a4sed.

I have had terrible insomnia since I was a kid so to save the other half dying of sleep deprivation I find myself getting up, sofa-surfing and watching a lot of movies. Been binging on Korean crime movies recently - Old Boy as you say is the one everyone has heard of but there's stacks of good stuff out there. I'll send you a couple of links to other stuff that's cool but not so well known but you probably already know where to find such titles. The one I suggested is definitely worth a look - brutal mind!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588170/

Like you, I can't understand why anyone would just write off an entire country's output without knowing the first thing about it. It's like toddlers with their food! These days it's so easy to check out feedback on films amongst other things. I guess some folk prefer the stock-in-trade Hollywood output but franchised entertainment gets tiresome pretty quick. I guess it's symptomatic of how you look at life. Do you stick with what you know or take a risk from time to time in search of new adventures? I'm all about the latter.

20 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Well put Mr Stringerbell. I would have explained all this myself but given the response I just couldn't be a4sed.

I have had terrible insomnia since I was a kid so to save the other half dying of sleep deprivation I find myself getting up, sofa-surfing and watching a lot of movies. Been binging on Korean crime movies recently - Old Boy as you say is the one everyone has heard of but there's stacks of good stuff out there. I'll send you a couple of links to other stuff that's cool but not so well known but you probably already know where to find such titles. The one I suggested is definitely worth a look - brutal mind!

Like you, I can't understand why anyone would just write off an entire country's output without knowing the first thing about it. It's like toddlers with their food! These days it's so easy to check out feedback on films amongst other things. I guess some folk prefer the stock-in-trade Hollywood output but franchised entertainment gets tiresome pretty quick. I guess it's symptomatic of how you look at life. Do you stick with what you know or take a risk from time to time in search of new adventures? I'm all about the latter.

Bit precious aren’t you.. I was genuinely interested in why Korean. French etc, I understand but would have never thought of Korean.  I will leave you to it. Can’t be arsed..

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Bit precious aren’t you.. I was genuinely interested in why Korean. French etc, I understand but would have never thought of Korean.  I will leave you to it. Can’t be arsed..

Well you've a odd way of going about asking, haven't you? 

Watch the film - what have you got to lose? You might even like it. 

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I’ll check it out. I could do with watching something a bit different. Last Korean one I watched was train to Busan. I used to watch loads of foreign language films when I was younger but as I get older I tend to find myself busy and just put stuff on to switch off. Shame really.

Its not a crime film but have you seen The Host? Proper breath of fresh air.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

And not Korean but Asian crime, I always liked the Infernal Affairs trilogy back in the day. Don’t know if you’ve seen that? It’s what The Departed is based on.

3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I’ll check it out. I could do with watching something a bit different. Last Korean one I watched was train to Busan. I used to watch loads of foreign language films when I was younger but as I get older I tend to find myself busy and just put stuff on to switch off. Shame really.

Its not a crime film but have you seen The Host? Proper breath of fresh air.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

And not Korean but Asian crime, I always liked the Infernal Affairs trilogy back in the day. Don’t know if you’ve seen that? It’s what The Departed is based on.

Train To Busan I've yet to see. At the time I became aware of it tit seemed like every film made was about zombies but I'll get over myself and give it a whirl if it's good.

The Host I've not seen nor heard anything about so I'll be downloading that inside 5 minutes!

Internal Affairs = classic. I love The Departed too to be fair. Jack Nicholson stealing the show as usual. Typically when Hollywood picks up these movies to re-package them for Western audiences they turn out to be steaming hot garbage. Old Boy being a prime example - really pisses me off. They are re-making A Bittersweet Life too I believe.*

*shudder

On 14/03/2018 at 11:21, maxjam said:

Got Thor Ragnorak on blu-ray the other day, that and the 2 Guardians of the Galaxy movies are the best Marvel movies imo as well :)

The last 2 movies I've watched however are Black Panther at the cinema and Wonder Woman that has just come on Sky.  I'd probably give BP 5/10 and WW 1/10 - and a don't believe the PC hype warning.  I'm all for equality of all kinds but promoting these as wonderful movies because of the actors/directors/underlying messages etc doesn't make them good movies. 

Wonder Woman was as poor a movie as I've seen in a long time.

Dead pool for me!

Phantom Thread. 

Only wanted to see it for the Robin Hood’s Bay location. It was very well acted, visually beautiful and intense, but the main characters irritated me; I wouldn’t have given either of them the time of day. Worth seeing though. 

Tom Ince. 

Spacewalk  8/10

A very enjoyable and thrilling Russian film of the race into space in the mid sixties as told from the Russian perspective.  i suspect some of the scenes were added for dramatic purpose, but on the whole this is a riveting film with some excellent CGI and fine acting

Oldboy is a banger of a film. Some good HK cinema I want to get into a bit. Really enjoyed Wong Kar-wai's As Tears Fall and Days of Being Wild.

I'm a bit of a sucker for foreign cinema - last film I watched was a German film called Marseille. A nice watch but bit dull.

• 3 weeks later...

Mary Magdalene

Familiar subject matter, supposedly from the viewpoint of Mary, but there was too much missing from the story to give the characters any substance or to make the relationships seem plausible. 5/10

Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool 

The last weeks of the life of Holywood actress, Gloria Grahame, based on the book by Peter Turner, her much younger lover at the time. Parts of her life were told through flashbacks, but too little to give a sense of who she was or why we should care. 6/10

Family Life 

The 1971 Ken Loach film about the descent of a young woman into schizophrenia, and the brutalities of her hospital treatment. A suitably bleak anti psychiatry flick with various Freudian and Marxist themes well to the fore. 6/10

A Fantastic Woman 

Chilean foreign language film about the death of a transgender woman’s lover, and her struggle to survive the subsequent fallout from the family and the police. Unsentimental and darkly uplifting, with a strong lead. 8/10

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Mary Magdalene

Familiar subject matter, supposedly from the viewpoint of Mary, but there was too much missing from the story to give the characters any substance or to make the relationships seem plausible. 5/10

Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool 

The last weeks of the life of Holywood actress, Gloria Grahame, based on the book by Peter Turner, her much younger lover at the time. Parts of her life were told through flashbacks, but too little to give a sense of who she was or why we should care. 6/10

Family Life 

The 1971 Ken Loach film about the descent of a young woman into schizophrenia, and the brutalities of her hospital treatment. A suitably bleak anti psychiatry flick with various Freudian and Marxist themes well to the fore. 6/10

A Fantastic Woman 

Chilean foreign language film about the death of a transgender woman’s lover, and her struggle to survive the subsequent fallout from the family and the police. Unsentimental and darkly uplifting, with a strong lead. 8/10

Seem we both have a preference for films with substance ,, my mates think I’m barking as I just can’t do action films ,,,

nil by mouth is still one of the best films ever ,, Cathy Burke was superb and by far and away ray winstones best ever performance ,very dark but stunning film with great cast and performances by all