Can Derby make play offs I say yes

B4ev6is

7 minutes ago, Archied said:

Sorry but the not wanting promotion because it’s too soon is without doubt the most irritating thing I ever see posted ,,, the money involved in being promoted makes it poss to compete in the championship and keep building  if you go back down to a division that really has no workable financial sustainability unless you want dwindling crowds or get quite lucky ,,, it all about decent owners with sensible long term view ,if you have that then there’s nothing to fear from promotion at any time

Take away the emotion of it - what does promotion actually mean? It means your club is too good to play in this division & hence is being moved to the division above. A club like Derby isn't going to be able to go up & start signing loads of quality Prem players to compete, therefore we're going to have to rely largely on the team we went up with. If that team was only barely good enough to go up in the first place (with plenty on here saying we were in relegation trouble at Christmas), what chances do you think that same team would have at a much higher standard of competition?

And we're going to have to agree to disagree on your last statement. 2007-08 is an experience I never ever want this club to repeat. What on earth was the benefit to us of either that season or the subsequent seasons back in the Championship?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets face it, back in November / early December this simply wasn't on. Not just because of our league position and points total .. We weren't scoring, and we weren't playing joined up football.

I believe now we have a team/squad that are onboard with the management, we are scoring, and we are playing good football. The will and the ability exist.

Now its a race, we are in it; The teams above us have a head start so it's going to be hellish difficult, but if we stay on our feet, get a couple more wins this month, don't stumble we have a chance .. Every point we reduce the gap increases the pressure on those above us and at the same time will fuel our fires of self belief and determination.

I'm a maybe, but wow !  wouldn't it be a terrific achievement if we did … COYR

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Take away the emotion of it - what does promotion actually mean? It means your club is too good to play in this division & hence is being moved to the division above. A club like Derby isn't going to be able to go up & start signing loads of quality Prem players to compete, therefore we're going to have to rely largely on the team we went up with. If that team was only barely good enough to go up in the first place (with plenty on here saying we were in relegation trouble at Christmas), what chances do you think that same team would have at a much higher standard of competition?

And we're going to have to agree to disagree on your last statement. 2007-08 is an experience I never ever want this club to repeat. What on earth was the benefit to us of either that season or the subsequent seasons back in the Championship?

I completely see your view and going to see us lose week after week would hurt, but this isn't a 2007/8 side of journey men who battered their way in to the prem. There is a lot more about us in terms of talent. We'd fight and get some points in good games of football . If we go back down, we'd be in a far stronger financial position to go again next time. 

In truth I wouldn't mind us staying down this year and taking the league by storm next (I'd almost prefer it - almost )  but I couldn't refuse a gift horse of £ 100 million that would end up in the coffers 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I completely see your view and going to see us lose week after week would hurt, but this isn't a 2007/8 side of journey men who battered their way in to the prem. There is a lot more about us in terms of talent. We'd fight and get some points in good games of football . If we go back down, we'd be in a far stronger financial position to go again next time. 

In truth I wouldn't mind us staying down this year and taking the league by storm next (I'd almost prefer it - almost )  but I couldn't refuse a gift horse of £ 100 million that would end up in the coffers 

It never seems to work out like that for clubs tho. Whether its players who have huge pay hikes in their contracts or chairmen who just go batpoo crazy and sign all sorts of old jollop, clubs rarely seem to come bac down better off.....

Except Burnley and Newcastle. 

Fulham maybe......?

36 minutes ago, Archied said:

Sorry but the not wanting promotion because it’s too soon is without doubt the most irritating thing I ever see posted

One of my pet hates as well. 

We wouldn’t start the season with the same squad, you have a transfer window that if you wish can go ahead and spend upwards of £100m.

To be honest I would take one 07/08 season again, bank the money and use it to improve the squad whilst back in the Championship to give us a better foundation for Premier League survival.

Both Villa and Fulham have shown how not to do it. Although Fulham should really be doing a lot better this season with the players they have available to them.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

No emotion at all in my thoughts on this issue , football is a sport and the ethos of sport is striving and competing to be the best and or the best you can be ,, take that away and there’s nothing genuine left ,do we really aspire to be a flat track bully staying big fish little pond ? 
seen all the wailing and gnashing of teeth re THAT season ,, sorry but for me I say so what , am I ashamed of being a Derby fan because of it ? Jeez no , I’m Derby win lose draw , success or shat 

saying you don’t want promotion whenever or however it happens is beyond barking ( in my opinion) ,,welcome to your to but I can’t comprehend that line of thought

2 hours ago, David said:

We wouldn’t start the season with the same squad, you have a transfer window that if you wish can go ahead and spend upwards of £100m.

To be honest I would take one 07/08 season again, bank the money and use it to improve the squad whilst back in the Championship to give us a better foundation for Premier League survival.

Both Villa and Fulham have shown how not to do it. Although Fulham should really be doing a lot better this season with the players they have available to them.

Yes, I thought Fulham had assembled a good enough team last season to easily get promoted straight back up again. But that doesn't take into account the grotty feeling and knock to confidence that getting relegated gives you. It's been quite a struggle for them to adjust to this, despite the even nature of the Championship this year and the quality in their squad.

Whereas Villa, they look to have invested very badly and I expect them to struggle next season when they come down..... which probably means they will bounce straight back up there in 2nd place (after us of course if we don't do it this season!)

One serious point. If we do make the play offs we won’t be also rans .. absolutely no one will want to play the team that blasted their way up the league in short order with a gang of talented home grown teenagers and a piece bedroom furniture 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

One serious point. If we do make the play offs we won’t be also rans .. absolutely no one will want to play the team that blasted their way up the league in short order with a gang of talented home grown teenagers and a piece bedroom furniture 

Sheep sheep sheep (and granny) shaggers....

What a wembley way chant for us! ?

3 hours ago, David said:

2 hours ago, Archied said:

No emotion at all in my thoughts on this issue , football is a sport and the ethos of sport is striving and competing to be the best and or the best you can be ,, take that away and there’s nothing genuine left ,do we really aspire to be a flat track bully staying big fish little pond ? 
seen all the wailing and gnashing of teeth re THAT season ,, sorry but for me I say so what , am I ashamed of being a Derby fan because of it ? Jeez no , I’m Derby win lose draw , success or shat 

saying you don’t want promotion whenever or however it happens is beyond barking ( in my opinion) ,,welcome to your to but I can’t comprehend that line of thought

Good to see the usual 'one or the other' debate playing out here - both of you have missed the nuance in my original post.

I said it would be a mixed blessing if we went up but at no stage have I said 'I don't want us to get promoted'. Like most on here, I'd be delighted if we surged into the top 6 & won at Wembley. But that is tempered by my belief that we're not strong enough to compete in the division above.

It seems clear we're building a squad around the young players coming out of the Academy - that's the model now, not big name signings (the exceptions being Rooney who of course is here as much for the coaching gig as the playing side & Bielik but I suspect that's it going forward). Whilst this is now starting to pay dividends, the reality is Sibley only made his first league start last week, Bird has only been a regular for 2.5 months & Knight only became a starter a few weeks before Bird. We've seen with Jayden Bogle this season that young players need patience & often have quite large fluctuations in form - particularly after initial promising starts. Now imagine that pressure in the division above.

Both of you also believe that the TV money in the division above means we can go on a spending spree. My question to that is a) where does that leave the Academy if you're just going to supplant them with ready made players & b) 19 other clubs in the division have exactly the same/additional financial spending power. What makes you think we'd be able to attract Premiership standard players over other clubs in the division above?

Finally, absolutely do not confuse my reservations with a lack of ambition. I'm thoroughly sick of this division & desperately want Derby to be in the division above. I also want us to be competing at the top end of the division above & when I see teams like Leicester & Sheffield Utd vying for Champions League spots, I think why the hell couldn't we do exactly the same. But I do not want a repeat of 2007/08 & the idea Derby would be better long term for another experience like that is something I will never ever agree with. 

25 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Good to see the usual 'one or the other' debate playing out here - both of you have missed the nuance in my original post.

I said it would be a mixed blessing if we went up but at no stage have I said 'I don't want us to get promoted'. Like most on here, I'd be delighted if we surged into the top 6 & won at Wembley. But that is tempered by my belief that we're not strong enough to compete in the division above.

It seems clear we're building a squad around the young players coming out of the Academy - that's the model now, not big name signings (the exceptions being Rooney who of course is here as much for the coaching gig as the playing side & Bielik but I suspect that's it going forward). Whilst this is now starting to pay dividends, the reality is Sibley only made his first league start last week, Bird has only been a regular for 2.5 months & Knight only became a starter a few weeks before Bird. We've seen with Jayden Bogle this season that young players need patience & often have quite large fluctuations in form - particularly after initial promising starts. Now imagine that pressure in the division above.

Both of you also believe that the TV money in the division above means we can go on a spending spree. My question to that is a) where does that leave the Academy if you're just going to supplant them with ready made players & b) 19 other clubs in the division have exactly the same/additional financial spending power. What makes you think we'd be able to attract Premiership standard players over other clubs in the division above?

Finally, absolutely do not confuse my reservations with a lack of ambition. I'm thoroughly sick of this division & desperately want Derby to be in the division above. I also want us to be competing at the top end of the division above & when I see teams like Leicester & Sheffield Utd vying for Champions League spots, I think why the hell couldn't we do exactly the same. But I do not want a repeat of 2007/08 & the idea Derby would be better long term for another experience like that is something I will never ever agree with. 

Nope , don’t get it , seems more you going with the one thing or the other debate , we go up then the academy ethos is no more ????

we re never going to agree ,I just can’t see it the way you do?

41 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Imagine Leeds failing to get promotion due to coronavirus ? I think I'd have a party in my Y-fronts

Does anyone actually know the rules when it comes to the leagues? Seems like we will enter the territory of there is no time to play the games so whatever the league standings are, we be abide by. 

20 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Does anyone actually know the rules when it comes to the leagues? Seems like we will enter the territory of there is no time to play the games so whatever the league standings are, we be abide by. 

Surely declare the season void, and go again afresh in August.

Unfortunately no chance this season, our back four just isn’t good enough. Shame if we’d signed a decent centre half in Jan the I think we’d have walked into the playoffs. I completely understand why we didn’t but I believe that will ultimately cost us. Shame really but next season is ours COYR??????

Archived