Can Derby make play offs I say yes

B4ev6is

Oh, and might I add, we were 5 points off 6th with 5 games to go last season. We ultimately caught Bristol City, who were 7 points ahead of us at the time.

I told myself I wouldn't get so wound up this year by people's inability to learn from the crazy things that happen in football each year, but it's happening again. It's rank stupidity to poo on other people's hopes and categorically state that we have no chance. What's the ducking point in watching football if you're just going to give in and write us off at the slightest opportunity? Where's the enjoyment?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get to the playoffs; we absolutely will be the form team going into them - so the hope will be cripplingly oppressive. ? 

9 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well with chris martin form he is in right now I think he could finnish season 15 to 18 plus goals.

B4, I share your enthusiasm for making the top 6 but I can't see Chris Martin scroring 15 to 18 goals! 

Would love you to be right though

Lose on Saturday and it's more or less over. Win on Saturday and it really is on in a big way. Why? Milwall in form, strong competitor suddenly we are on level points with them. A perfect springboard, confidence and form really matter at this stage of season. We have strong players likely to return in next few games, Wazza the obvious one, Lawrence and Holmes important. It's still a long shot but Saturday is key.

If we don't take it any further than one game at a time: it's likely that the 6th placed team will be on 58/59 points come this weekend. Preston at Luton and Bristol at Blackburn. I'd say one of them will win, if not both. We play Millwall and will need to win (or draw) to stop them going six points clear of us - a draw wouldn't be the worst result but you would fancy QPR in that scenario to jump us as they're at home to Barnsley so we would drop back to 13th. 

Without going into other results, I would say that a win would leave us still 5, maybe 4, points from the play-off positions. A draw will leave us in the bottom half almost certainly with roughly 7 points to make up and a loss would pretty much mean the same, but Millwall 6 points clear and probably knocking the door of the play-offs - they have a really favourable run to end the season and the bookies haven't been daft, they have the lowest odds outside the current top six to finish inside them. 

13 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

It’s called being “Realistic”. Man City CAN still win the Premier League, Norwich City CAN still avoid relegation, Derby CAN get to the play offs, but reality says all three are unlikely, highly unlikely. 

There’s being optimistic and hopeful B4, and there’s being downright deluded. 

what you want to happen, is the same as what we all want to happen, but there’s nothing to suggest we can put the run together required to catch back the points. 

Beating Sheff Weds was a great result, but we are probably still in the relegation zone for away points. 

2nd at home (1 point behind Fulham, Leeds and Brentford have played 1 game fewer)

21st away (1 point ahead of Charlton). We moved from 2nd bottom with the Wednesday win. There's very little between most sides away from home. Brentford (6th best away) have just 25 points from 19 games.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On the 10th of March last season, Villa were down in 14th, 7 points behind 6th spot and 10 behind 5th. I don't think I need to tell anyone how that ended...

After Matchday 37 last season: Villa were 8th on 54 points and a +11 goal difference. Bristol City and Boro were 5th and 6th on 58 points each. 

After Matchday 38 last season: Villa were 7th on 57 points and a +14 goal difference. Bristol in 5th on 61 and Boro 6th on 58 points. 

After Matchday 39 last season: Villa were 6th on 60 points and a +15 goal difference. Bristol in 5th on 64 and Boro 8th on 58 points. 

We've just finished Matchday 37 and Villa were already knocking on the door, but still needed a Boro capitulation for a spot in the play-offs - although truth be told we needed it more looking at how the season finished. In fact, we were 9th after matchday 38, albeit due to goal difference. 

It's a different scenario this season with so many teams in our way. Not only do we have to make up points, but we need to keep ahead of the chasing pack. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Forest & Preston drop out with Millwall and another taking the final two places. 

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't think we can complete the regular season with coronavirus but if we do it's unlikely we'll also have playoffs. Probably promote whoever finishes third. It would be just our luck to sneak in. Unprecedented times.

Unless someone in one of the teams is identified as having contracted Covid 19 i would say it's more likely remaining matches would be played behind locked gates rather than the season being abandoned

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Oh, and might I add, we were 5 points off 6th with 5 games to go last season. We ultimately caught Bristol City, who were 7 points ahead of us at the time.

I told myself I wouldn't get so wound up this year by people's inability to learn from the crazy things that happen in football each year, but it's happening again. It's rank stupidity to poo on other people's hopes and categorically state that we have no chance. What's the ducking point in watching football if you're just going to give in and write us off at the slightest opportunity? Where's the enjoyment?

Very fair point. There's also little doubt that the teams vying for that 6th spot are all pretty unimpressive & we play a lot of them on our run in.

I suspect some on here though are playing down the prospect of us finishing top 6 for different reasons. Firstly, increased expectation creates a rod for Cocu's back if we don't make it. Reasonable posters/fans will look at our finishing position within the context of a very disruptive season, unfortunately there is a vocal element (including on this forum) who will use it for their own agenda - i.e. to agitate for a new manager/McClaren back.

Secondly, there will be folk (myself included I must confess) who would see a surge into the top 6 as a mixed benefit given that we're still far from a settled team & that we'd struggle horribly in the Premiership if we fluked promotion (again). The team has developed from a bottom half side to a top 10 team in the space of 2.5 months but that's still well short of the consistent level we'd need to be at to think we're too good for this division. Another year for Cocu & the young lads now making a mark in the team would benefit the club much more than a couple of yo-yo seasons.

15 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Secondly, there will be folk (myself included I must confess) who would see a surge into the top 6 as a mixed benefit given that we're still far from a settled team & that we'd struggle horribly in the Premiership if we fluked promotion

You can't pick and choose when you go up though. You have to take the chance when you have it. Fans were saying the same thing that we weren't good enough last year and then quickly changed their minds when we got into the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

You can't pick and choose when you go up though. You have to take the chance when you have it. Fans were saying the same thing that we weren't good enough last year and then quickly changed their minds when we got into the playoffs.

I hear this one often & yeah, you're right that promotion can't be predicted or planned meticulously. But lets face it, the promotion in 2007 set the club back a considerable time. Simply going up does not magically solve inherent problems within a club & in many cases, intensifies them in the face of increased media pressure, fan expectation & much higher standard of competition.

Essentially its a short term view v a long term view. I only want Derby to go up when we're dominating this division, as I believe that will significantly improve our chances of staying in the Premiership when we get there. We're been largely bang average all season & although we're now playing some nice stuff, the team & Cocu's regime in general is still very much a work in progress.

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We were never 12th, and we never had a schedule this hard either. Learn from the crazy things? They're crazy for a reason, they're highly unlikely so notable when they do happen. 

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Very fair point. There's also little doubt that the teams vying for that 6th spot are all pretty unimpressive & we play a lot of them on our run in.

I suspect some on here though are playing down the prospect of us finishing top 6 for different reasons. Firstly, increased expectation creates a rod for Cocu's back if we don't make it. Reasonable posters/fans will look at our finishing position within the context of a very disruptive season, unfortunately there is a vocal element (including on this forum) who will use it for their own agenda - i.e. to agitate for a new manager/McClaren back.

Secondly, there will be folk (myself included I must confess) who would see a surge into the top 6 as a mixed benefit given that we're still far from a settled team & that we'd struggle horribly in the Premiership if we fluked promotion (again). The team has developed from a bottom half side to a top 10 team in the space of 2.5 months but that's still well short of the consistent level we'd need to be at to think we're too good for this division. Another year for Cocu & the young lads now making a mark in the team would benefit the club much more than a couple of yo-yo seasons.

Clubs and their supporters are no doubt saying the same thing about us. I have always backed Cocu so have no hidden agenda if we don't make top 6, top 10 would be impressive with the season we have had. I am not a person with negative views but  blind faith optimism is long gone in my mature years and replaced by reality. We all have opposing views, somebody will be correct on the final day

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We were never 12th, and we never had a schedule this hard either. Learn from the crazy things? They're crazy for a reason, they're highly unlikely so notable when they do happen. 

I would say catching a team 7 points already with 5 games to go isn’t too dissimilar from overtaking multiple teams no more than five points ahead with 9 games to go.

Yes, the fact it would be ‘crazy’ means it’s unlikely. But I’m not claiming we’re going up. I’m saying anyone who looks down on and laughs at people saying we have a chance are ducking idiots who will never learn.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I would say catching a team 7 points already with 5 games to go isn’t too dissimilar from overtaking multiple teams no more than five points ahead with 9 games to go.

Yes, the fact it would be ‘crazy’ means it’s unlikely. But I’m not claiming we’re going up. I’m saying anyone who looks down on and laughs at people saying we have a chance are ducking idiots who will never learn.

It's quite different. Even if one or two teams above us duck up, there is enough teams between us that the likelihood they all duck up the end of the season is quite slim. I'd say that's quite a lot more difficult.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

It's quite different. Even if one or two teams above us duck up, there is enough teams between us that the likelihood they all duck up the end of the season is quite slim. I'd say that's quite a lot more difficult.

1) We’re playing a lot of them, so by beating them we’re contributing to them ducking up.

2) Even if it’s twice as difficult as last season, I’m not going to change my view that anyone who says that we have absolutely no chance is, I repeat, a ducking moron.

Archived