Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did people not take mask wearing seriously because of a post like this?

Or was it because of advice from the World Health Organisation and our medical professionals?

Danish study on masks conclusion was no statistical difference in wearing  and not wearing masks. '1st wave' when we didn't wear masks, was a less deadly period than in recent months when people wear forced to wear masks. 

Gyms didn't have people wearing masks. Sub 1% of cases linked to gyms. 

All the measures have next to no impact whatsoever. We are merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Classic case of the arrogance of mankind. 

People have had almost a year to improve their health and lifestyle and the average person is still relying upon masks, social distancing, vigorous cleaning and vaccinations to save them. Watching that unfold has been frustrating. The health of our nation was already dire and we are speeding up down that road. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Why - the vaccine is effective against the Kent Variant.

Surely if the Kent variant becomes the prevalent strain around the world, this is good and makes it safer to travel knowing the vaccines are effective.

While we  are doing very well in the number of vaccination carried out, many other countries are nowhere near our level.

We are also told that, if more people become infected there is a likelihood of another variant of the virus developing. So if the Kent variant is easier to catch wouldn't you do all you could to avoid coming into contact with it, just in case it morphed into a new and more virulent strain ?

Yes get in!!!! Loads of news doing the rounds from government leaks that Hospitality (everything pubs, restaurants etc) will open up with all be it with some Restrictions from the 30th Feb!!!! Happy days ??

22 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yes get in!!!! Loads of news doing the rounds from government leaks that Hospitality (everything pubs, restaurants etc) will open up with all be it with some Restrictions from the 30th Feb!!!! Happy days ??

Not seen that anywhere yet

54 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think you got that date mixed up with the completion of our takeover Texas. ?

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I think 3002 was the year rather than the date.

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Danish study on masks conclusion was no statistical difference in wearing  and not wearing masks. '1st wave' when we didn't wear masks, was a less deadly period than in recent months when people wear forced to wear masks. 

Gyms didn't have people wearing masks. Sub 1% of cases linked to gyms. 

All the measures have next to no impact whatsoever. We are merely rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Classic case of the arrogance of mankind. 

People have had almost a year to improve their health and lifestyle and the average person is still relying upon masks, social distancing, vigorous cleaning and vaccinations to save them. Watching that unfold has been frustrating. The health of our nation was already dire and we are speeding up down that road. 

First I was told that I'd be safe from catching the virus if I'd slept rough and spent all day in the pub, now I'm being told I'd be safer by going to the gym.

Jeez. Which is it I need to do, drink a six-pack or get one?

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are the 2 issues you mention mutually exclusive?

What would be your preferred message?

If we are opening schools up we should open everything up?

Or schools are closed indefinitely?

My preferred message would not be treating people like morons.

If they think it might be alright to open schools in about 3 weeks, why are they heavily suggesting that UK summer holidays might not happen?

Mixing at least 30 households indoors in 3 weeks sounds much more risky than going on holiday with your household in the summer, once most adults have had at least one shot of vaccine.

You repeatedly question what scientists are saying but seem much more accepting of the politicians screwups.

Johnson is clearly being told to cut out the overly optimistic ridiculous language he has used over the last year as it it makes him look more of a buffoon each time.

Now he has swung the other way and is warning about UK holidays, when surely the vaccines will be making a big difference.

It's like no restrictions on travellers from abroad for 12 months, then suddenly 10 year jail threats for people who don't follow the rules.

Car crash of an administration, full of incompetent people.

The number of people waiting more than 12 months to start hospital treatment in England was 224,205 in December

It's the highest for any calendar month since April 2008, and compares with 1,467 in December 2019.

Going to take some time to get them numbers back down.

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Hey, a lot of companies make a lot of money selling junk food and drinks to people that make them obese. The dire health of our nation is a small price to pay so the people in charge of these companies can be filthy rich.

(On a similar topic, I remember the unbridled joy of everyone when a Coke machine was installed in my school back in the early 90s. Surely everyone knew by then that high sugar drinks were not good for you)

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

If they think it might be alright to open schools in about 3 weeks, why are they heavily suggesting that UK summer holidays might not happen?

Mixing at least 30 households indoors in 3 weeks sounds much more risky than going on holiday with your household in the summer, once most adults have had at least one shot of vaccine.

You repeatedly question what scientists are saying but seem much more accepting of the politicians screwups.

Johnson is clearly being told to cut out the overly optimistic ridiculous language he has used over the last year as it it makes him look more of a buffoon each time.

Now he has swung the other way and is warning about UK holidays, when surely the vaccines will be making a big difference.

It's like no restrictions on travellers from abroad for 12 months, then suddenly 10 year jail threats for people who don't follow the rules.

The message I got about the holidays is we just don't know. I don't see a problem with that, don't get me wrong I'd rather someone came out and said book it you'll be fine but looking at the numbers it's too early to tell.

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Maybe because getting children getting back to school is being prioritised over people travelling all over the country spreading the virus?

I think you'll find I've been very harsh in my criticism of the Government where I think they have performed poorly.

You seem to be laying everything at the door of the Government without questioning the scientists advising them.

4 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

The message I got about the holidays is we just don't know. I don't see a problem with that, don't get me wrong I'd rather someone came out and said book it you'll be fine but looking at the numbers it's too early to tell.

I've never got the impression we have been told holidays won't happen,  the message I get is just wait and we will give more information when we think things will open up week commencing the 22nd.

The issue is the media whipping it up and constantly asking questions that won't get answered. 

I guess the problem is when the sun has a headline saying no holidays people believe it. 

I have holidays booked but if I hadn't right now I'd not be climbing the walls to book I'd wait to see what the roadmap looks like. 

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe because getting children getting back to school is being prioritised over people travelling all over the country spreading the virus?

I think you'll find I've been very harsh in my criticism of the Government where I think they have performed poorly.

You seem to be laying everything at the door of the Government without questioning the scientists advising them.

To be fair I have holidays booked but if them being cancelled means kids go back to school so be it. I'll manage with no holiday,  kids won't manage without an education. 

7 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I've never got the impression we have been told holidays won't happen,  the message I get is just wait and we will give more information when we think things will open up week commencing the 22nd.

The issue is the media whipping it up and constantly asking questions that won't get answered. 

I guess the problem is when the sun has a headline saying no holidays people believe it. 

I have holidays booked but if I hadn't right now I'd not be climbing the walls to book I'd wait to see what the roadmap looks like. 

I'd agree with that, headlines sell papers and mix into it that it means mixed messages are given out and people are only to willing to buy into it.

I've just cancelled my holiday abroad again, but I'd be fully expecting to go again in the summer somewhere in this country, most companies are offering free cancellation as well, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Im more interested in what if anything will be open in March ?

Just now, BIllyD said:

I'd agree with that, headlines sell papers and mix into it that it means mixed messages are given out and people are only to willing to buy into it.

I've just cancelled my holiday abroad again, but I'd be fully expecting to go again in the summer somewhere in this country, most companies are offering free cancellation as well, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Im more interested in what if anything will be open in March ?

I have one 1st may and I'm resigned to it not happening but it is what it is. I'll get my money back, my hardship is no holiday the consequences for others are lost jobs so its perspective.

if I get a holiday in this country I'll be happy. 

I can't see much other than schools in march.

6 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I have one 1st may and I'm resigned to it not happening but it is what it is. I'll get my money back, my hardship is no holiday the consequences for others are lost jobs so its perspective.

if I get a holiday in this country I'll be happy. 

I can't see much other than schools in march.

Schools and grassroots football will do me for a start ?

21 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Schools and grassroots football will do me for a start ?

Schools, grassroots football, back in the stadium watching the rams, festivals, gigs, watching live cricket, pubs, restaurants, gyms and holidays where ever you want in the world, will do me for a start ?......once the vulnerable have been vaccinated no reason not to do any of the above. 

Archived