Coronavirus

1of4

43 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

London going into Tier 3. Should make a few happy. 

I wonder how many pubs & restaurants won’t survive this, not just London but also everywhere else as well. Their busiest time of year, it’s so wrong. The landscape and social culture of our towns and Cities will be changed forever following this, so so sad. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

There will be a lot of unhappy Londoners reading that whilst breakfasting on their smoked salmon and champers this morning. That's provided their butler and cook are not self isolating in the servant quarters.

With such obscene wealth all across London, you can see why the odd Northerner might indulge in a wry smile as they queue up for their morning gruel at workhouse, or sell their last possession so pigeon can eat.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Been on the cards for a week or so I think.. Essex can have those Eastern boroughs.... 

Some people from elsewhere in the country have an unhealthy obsession with Londons tier status.. Some regional newspapers in the North seemed to be doing a day by day comparison of theirs vs Londons case numbers. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I wonder how many pubs & restaurants won’t survive this, not just London but also everywhere else as well. Their busiest time of year, it’s so wrong. The landscape and social culture of our towns and Cities will be changed forever following this, so so sad. 

It is sad, but you have to see the balanced picture - the pubs and restaurants also wont survive if they can't open because all their staff have covid, or indeed because all their customers have covid

The world will not be the same  for a long time (possibly forever changed) regardless of what path we take

From Beeb:

China's aviation regulator has recommended cabin crew wear disposable nappies and avoid using the toilet to cut the risk of Covid-19 infection.

The advice on nappies is in a section on personal protective equipment (PPE) in new guidelines for airlines.

Setting out its advice in a new 49-page set of guidelines for airlines, the regulator said the recommendation applied to charter flights to high-risk Covid-19 destinations.

"Oh, god the food smells awful on this flight"

"That's not the food. It's a full nappy"

The mind boggles

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

There will be a lot of unhappy Londoners reading that whilst breakfasting on their smoked salmon and champers this morning. That's provided their butler and cook are not self isolating in the servant quarters.

With such obscene wealth all across London, you can see why the odd Northerner might indulge in a wry smile as they queue up for their morning gruel at workhouse, or sell their last possession so pigeon can eat.

Not sure if this is one of your irony posts, but there is some pretty obscene poverty all across London too.

51 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

It is sad, but you have to see the balanced picture - the pubs and restaurants also wont survive if they can't open because all their staff have covid, or indeed because all their customers have covid

The world will not be the same  for a long time (possibly forever changed) regardless of what path we take

Reports were suggesting there were very low transmission rates in the hospitality sector. 

47 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

From Beeb:

China's aviation regulator has recommended cabin crew wear disposable nappies and avoid using the toilet to cut the risk of Covid-19 infection.

The advice on nappies is in a section on personal protective equipment (PPE) in new guidelines for airlines.

Setting out its advice in a new 49-page set of guidelines for airlines, the regulator said the recommendation applied to charter flights to high-risk Covid-19 destinations.

"Oh, god the food smells awful on this flight"

"That's not the food. It's a full nappy"

The mind boggles

Not least because I'm pretty sure there is only one socially acceptable place to change a soiled nappy on an aeroplane...which rather defeats the object.

23 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Reports were suggesting there were very low transmission rates in the hospitality sector. 

I personally would think a sensible, socially distanced open pub would be ok. But I guess you have to trust the patrons to be sensible and the landlords to adhere to rules. 

I'm sure most did, however I have only been in 8 pubs (I think ) since lockdown 1 and there was clear rule breaking by customers (and by default the landlord ) in 3 of them.

There must be something in it as closing, or applying restrictions,  on pubs has been high on the list in many countries not just England. 

6 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I personally would think a sensible, socially distanced open pub would be ok. But I guess you have to trust the patrons to be sensible and the landlords to adhere to rules. 

I'm sure most did, however I have only been in 8 pubs (I think ) since lockdown 1 and there was clear rule breaking by customers (and by default the landlord ) in 3 of them.

Yes - You can't really compare pubs. Our small local has good management and sensible punters - but when I walked through the town centre I saw the bigger pubs full of drunk people, not caring at all about any rules at all

You could say close those pubs and keep the small ones open, but that wouldn't work as the punters from town would just head to wherever is stil serving. The landlord of my local was actually quite happy that they were closed down as it was so hard to manage and they make enough on selling take-outs (and not having staff costs) to keep them ticking over

8 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yes - You can't really compare pubs. Our small local has good management and sensible punters - but when I walked through the town centre I saw the bigger pubs full of drunk people, not caring at all about any rules at all

You could say close those pubs and keep the small ones open, but that wouldn't work as the punters from town would just head to wherever is stil serving. The landlord of my local was actually quite happy that they were closed down as it was so hard to manage and they make enough on selling take-outs (and not having staff costs) to keep them ticking over

I agree in an ideal world, let the pubs open that stick to the rules but policing it is difficult. 

I am surprised more pubs aren't doing take out meals and beers.

I don't know enough though to know if its worthwhile or not.

I did wonder too about smaller pubs, maybe allow village pubs etc but as you say the may get inundated with customers and not have the means to police it themselves. 

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've just bunged the paperboy a Monkey in case I don't see him before Christmas. Called me a tight git and kicked my Bentley.

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I've just bunged the paperboy a Monkey in case I don't see him before Christmas. Called me a tight git and kicked my Bentley.

Cheer yourself up with a couple of those southern saveloy's mate.  I'll send you down some mushy peas by one me homing pigeons to liven em up.  Should by nicely congealed by the time they get there. Just right.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

I am surprised more pubs aren't doing take out meals and beers.

I don't know enough though to know if its worthwhile or not.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/scotch-egg-debate-irrelevant-pubs-4764085

It isn't, but it's that or nothing.

When you've got pubs who've won multiple local and regional pub of the year awards reduced to serving between 8-10 customers a day, selling maybe 30-40 pints of takeout beer (so £108-£144 based on a £3.60 pint) but still having to pay overheads how can it possibly be worthwhile? 

...it's OK though because the government are giving them £32 per day to cover their losses for December

The utterly ridiculous 'substantial meal' thing is going to be a killer even in tier 2, there's really not much hope out there for many pubs even when out of tier 3.

The government have said that all pupils that attend schools in London and parts of Kent will be tested for coronavirus if these areas go into tier 3. 

Why hasn't every pupil in the country who's schools are a tier 3 area been given the test.

No wonder a large part of the country think that the south and more particularly London are given preferential treatment than that given to the rest of the country

Archived