Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confession time...

We've recently (week before last) taken an unplanned 3 day trip to Cornwall, spending time (during the day) in a 4 berth caravan.  Total 5 adults, one dog.  (We stayed the 2 nights in a Premier Inn).

It wasn't ideal of course, and far from our approach to all things Covid, for the previous 8 months(?), but needs must, and short of arrest/Straight jacket, literally nobody would have stopped me!  Some may have called it "family emergency", I say "sheer parental panic"! 

Panic over for now, (touch wood!) but still far from comfortable/relaxed!

At this stage, we're not sure whether the recipient of our visit will be heading Derby bound during the 5 day free-for-all to spend a night or three at ours.  If it's what he wants, then he (and presumably his French petite amie) will be our only Xmas visitors.  Again, we'll see it as being a case of "needs must", and will override our usual concern for both ourselves, and others.

The remainder of the family, both immediate and wider, all seem to have the same approach as us, so the usual gatherings and longstanding traditions will be out of the window this year, as indeed they have been since March.

I'm neither ashamed nor rueful for the above approach, but I'd fully understand others perhaps being somewhat critical, particularly with my obvious and determined lack of explanation, but sometimes, we just have to do what we feel is right for us, rather than what is right for everyone else.  

Sometimes, family really does come first, deadly virus or no deadly virus!

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Confession time...

We've recently (week before last) taken an unplanned 3 day trip to Cornwall, spending time (during the day) in a 4 berth caravan.  Total 5 adults, one dog.  (We stayed the 2 nights in a Premier Inn).

It wasn't ideal of course, and far from our approach to all things Covid, for the previous 8 months(?), but needs must, and short of arrest/Straight jacket, literally nobody would have stopped me!  Some may have called it "family emergency", I say "sheer parental panic"! 

Panic over for now, (touch wood!) but still far from comfortable/relaxed!

At this stage, we're not sure whether the recipient of our visit will be heading Derby bound during the 5 day free-for-all to spend a night or three at ours.  If it's what he wants, then he (and presumably his French petite amie) will be our only Xmas visitors.  Again, we'll see it as being a case of "needs must", and will override our usual concern for both ourselves, and others.

The remainder of the family, both immediate and wider, all seem to have the same approach as us, so the usual gatherings and longstanding traditions will be out of the window this year, as indeed they have been since March.

I'm neither ashamed nor rueful for the above approach, but I'd fully understand others perhaps being somewhat critical, particularly with my obvious and determined lack of explanation, but sometimes, we just have to do what we feel is right for us, rather than what is right for everyone else.  

Sometimes, family really does come first, deadly virus or no deadly virus!

We were due to travel to Cornwall this week but alas unable to.

Ive been a stickler for following the rules also. The decision however was taken away from us as the company we booked the accomodation with knew from our address that we were in tier 3 so cancelled the trip for us.

Would I have gone if given the choice? Considering the accomodation we were booked in, and our plans, which probably meant we would have seen very few, if any people, when there, I may have done, i dont know. However as said this option was removed from us so it wasnt a decision i was able to make.

I am surprised the Campsite / Premier Inn allowed you to stay considering the approach the company we booked with mind.

I see Nottingham CIty Council have now decided to fully cancel the Christmas Market.

It would seem they had measures in place to limit the numbers but due to the sheer volumes of people they were unable to implement them.

I feel sorry for the stall holders, ride owners, who have paid to transport their stalls/rides, those that have purchsed stock, and those that have food/drinks purchased to sell.

I hope both Nottingham City Council and the company responsible for the market will be compensating them is some way.

3 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

I dont go out that much but can give so many examples too. I dont think its everyone but certainly plenty of people who dont want to follow the rules.

Before the tier system was implemented we left one pub because they were allowing people to crowd in and stand, another allowed two groups to have a table next to each other to circumnavigate the rule of six, and it soon just became one big group. People entering he pubs not sanitising their hands (and yes i know we shouldnt criticise young people but it was mainly young people)

We have some friends who havent been good at following the rules throughout (especially during this last lockdown), however many weeks ago while it was ok to meet other people indoors we agreed to book a christmas meal with them, ok no problem, in a recent chat with them i said that it doesnt look good for us getting together because the best we an hope is tier 2 and its now allowed, so their response was to invite us to their house for a meal on the same day, didnt even bat an eyelid.

We just said lets see whats happening, but now it leaves me feeling like a dick when i say to them im not coming over because i know she more than him is going to take it personally and feel like we are saying they are dirty/unclean.

I wont go, ill have to have a conversation, it just annoys me more as they know i had to shield during both lockdowns.

My view with the Christmas thing is it was another damned if you do, i still think those of us who have been responsible will continue to be, i know the group i meet with over christmas have taken every precaution they can and remained sensible, i know it means i wont get to meet other members of my family but so be it. I think the spread will come from those who are and have been irresponsible, and would have gathered in groups anyway regardless of the relaxation of the rules.

The thing is we have been in this situation for a long time now and people will be being influenced by what they are experiencing around them re deaths and serious cases of Covid rather than the models , predictions and vague numbers reported , the initial fear of a plague like virus ravaging the human race with people dropping like flies in vast numbers is being replaced by the actual experience of 99% of people who get it being absolutely fine let alone not even having a symptom and people are voting with they’re feet on these lockdowns and restrictions when balanced against the human and economic ( also human suffering) results of them, agree or disagree, like it or not that’s what people will do ??‍♂️

My brother (and his GF) will be staying with my parents for the night on Christmas Eve. They'll then be heading over to her parents' house meeting up with her sister (and partner and child) whilst there.

At some point in the morning of Christmas Day, I'll be heading over to my parents' with my with and pets, and so too will my sister with her husband child and pets. My sister will be heading home that evening, whereas I'll be staying overnight (due to living far enough away that I have to drive, and I plan on drinking).

I know a few rules are being broken, but I work with my Dad and my sister uses my parents for childcare anyway so I don't see it as being much different than any other day really. My wife's pretty much confined herself to the house for a few months (with the occasional walk in the countryside) since we found out she's pregnant, so some real human-to-human interaction is necessary anyway. We get groceries and other items we require in our lives (Christmas presents) delivered so it's not as if I leave the house for anything other than work for a couple of days each week. As an added precaution, my workplace requires us to take semi-regular tests.

As I said, we'll be breaking the rules, but I feel we're being sensible about it.

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

There's speculation that there will be another spike in the new year due to the relaxing of restrictions for five days over Christmas. After seeing the crowds in Nottingham along with other pictures of shoppers packed on to the  streets of other cities. There could well be a rise in the number of infection before the festive period.

I think it's a nailed-on certainty after Christmas. This is why we can't have nice things - people want them all at once.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

Ive been a stickler for following the rules also. The decision however was taken away from us as the company we booked the accomodation with knew from our address that we were in tier 3 so cancelled the trip for us.

Would I have gone if given the choice? Considering the accomodation we were booked in, and our plans, which probably meant we would have seen very few, if any people, when there, I may have done, i dont know. However as said this option was removed from us so it wasnt a decision i was able to make.

I am surprised the Campsite / Premier Inn allowed you to stay considering the approach the company we booked with mind.

Just for clarity... this was an unplanned visit... literally 9 mins between getting a 'phone call, and setting off.  Pants, socks, toothbrush, and away we go!  

The "campsite" where our son's caravan is (permanently/long term) sited is a rear field to a working farm.  Effectively, he lives there, with his girlfriend (and about 8 or 9 other caravan neighbours).  We never stayed the night there... although I suspect nothing would have been said by the farmer/site owner.

Premier Inn had questions for us on checking in, (Initially for one night.  We booked and returned for a second night the following evening, as our mercy mission remained incomplete).

Questions included our individual names, home address and reason for travelling.  These appeared to be entered onto their computer going by the key tapping she was doing.

Assuming these records get checked, I'd assume "A nice break away for a few days" might not be accepted, and we'd have no doubt been turned away, but it seems our (truthful) answer passed the test, as we were offered best wishes, and a keycard!

It is noted though, that a telephone booking (or turn up at the door, for that matter) could not be accepted.  It had to be done online, where again, they took the necessary ID's for all (not just a lead name), presumably to satisfy the then current government rules re travelling/overnight stays. 

In fairness, we had no idea whether we'd be allowed to stay.  We were more than prepared to spend the night(s) in the car, if need be.  Overnight accommodation was not high priority when we set off.

For the record, Premier Inn was very busy, if not chock-a-block, but the vast majority of vehicles in the car park were clearly work vans, as one would expect, given the rules.  

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

Sorry!

Don't know if you noticed, but I mistakenly gave you a laughing face response!  I've amended that now!  Twit me!

On 06/12/2020 at 11:20, Grumpy Git said:

If that isn't a wind-up, it's no wonder the UK has the highest death rate in Europe from Covid.

Yeah I guess someone on a football forum not knowing the difference between the way the flu and covid spread has probably caused tens of thousands of deaths.

If only Sage had appointed you...

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I guess someone on a football forum not knowing the difference between the way the flu and covid spread has probably caused tens of thousands of deaths.

If only Sage had appointed you...

Well stop acting like a Gump at a Christmas market then.

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You saying they should have locked down longer then?

Absolutely they should, for at least another 6 months and then every other week until absolutely no one even has so much of a runny nose. What were they thinking, shutting everything down for a couple of weeks would stop this terrible plague? The fools.

At least they have now stopped people drinking alcohol, the evidence has pointed all along this attracts this virus, why oh why didn’t they do it earlier? Also they should of closed all entertainment establishments after dark, didn’t they know this thing only comes out in the dark. 

Archived