Coronavirus

1of4

41 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm starting to think that some folk only watch the briefings so they can have a good bitch about them afterwards. Hard to know which is more tedious at this point.

Or maybe in the hope that sensible questions will be asked, where the answer is relevant and useful to the general public?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What do people think of the idea that virus may have escaped/come from lab in Wuhan ? 

Don’t know.

I saw one unconfirmed suggestion that patient zero, the first person to get it, was allegedly from the lab not the market, but how anyone could know that I’m not sure. At present I would favour the market for two reasons. Firstly the genome was similar to bat coronavirus but not the same, which is why it was reckoned to have jumped species via an intermediary species - possibly pangolin. Secondly, the first cases were all centred on the market. If a scientist had acquired the disease in the lab by buggering about with a bat virus as suggested, then there should be other scientists and family members infected and a different geographical outbreak in Wuhan. And it’s not the bat virus. 

7 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What do people think of the idea that virus may have escaped/come from lab in Wuhan ? 

That is the current narrative coming out of the USA but Trump hasn’t yet seen this CCTV evidence

halloween wtf GIF by Scooby-Doo

15 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

The wet market was seafood, not meat. 

I don't think it was engineered in a lab, but accidental release of a natural virus being studied isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm starting to think that some folk only watch the briefings so they can have a good bitch about them afterwards. Hard to know which is more tedious at this point.

Agreed. They hardly ever mention anything the politician has said. Just take the question they get most worked up about and repost it here.

Guess it's a bit weird for them seeing most the media saying something they disagree with for a change. They've had years where only the only mainstream voice that said anything different were the Guardian and Mirror. The BBC mostly towed the party line.

Now these and plenty of other traditionally Tory media are also piling in on Johnson and his band of merry fools...it must be hard to take. I get the feeling Johnson is not very well liked beyond his inner circle, especially as some of his cabinet are pretty much joke characters. Many in the media must think Johnson's actions at the start of this crisis were reckless, as the Sunday Times article showed a couple of weeks back.

Not really much to bash Starmer and Labour with at the moment, so constantly moaning at the media seems a good outlet.

4 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The wet market was seafood, not meat. 

I don't think it was engineered in a lab, but accidental release of a natural virus being studied isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

That sounds like enough evidence for me to burn down the science lab at the local comprehensive.

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Agreed. They hardly ever mention anything the politician has said. Just take the question they get most worked up about and repost it here.

Guess it's a bit weird for them seeing most the media saying something they disagree with for a change. They've had years where only the only mainstream voice that said anything different were the Guardian and Mirror. The BBC mostly towed the party line.

Now these and plenty of other traditionally Tory media are also piling in on Johnson and his band of merry fools...it must be hard to take. I get the feeling Johnson is not very well liked beyond his inner circle, especially as some of his cabinet are pretty much joke characters. Many in the media must think Johnson's actions at the start of this crisis were reckless, as the Sunday Times article showed a couple of weeks back.

Not really much to bash Starmer and Labour with at the moment, so constantly moaning at the media seems a good outlet.

Although Starmer said at the beginning of his appointment he wasn’t here to play politics and attack and that lasted for all of about 4 hours.

No time for him either. If his only question was ‘how can I help’ and it was genuine and sincere, then there’s a bloke who’d get my vote long term....

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Amateurs

i start bitching an hour before the daily briefings and all throughout them

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Don’t know.

I saw one unconfirmed suggestion that patient zero, the first person to get it, was allegedly from the lab not the market, but how anyone could know that I’m not sure. At present I would favour the market for two reasons. Firstly the genome was similar to bat coronavirus but not the same, which is why it was reckoned to have jumped species via an intermediary species - possibly pangolin. Secondly, the first cases were all centred on the market. If a scientist had acquired the disease in the lab by buggering about with a bat virus as suggested, then there should be other scientists and family members infected and a different geographical outbreak in Wuhan. And it’s not the bat virus. 

Read somewhere that the lab was built under a french chinese  project because at the time the chinese did not have the expertise to build the most secure labs (SL4). Under the agreement 150 french scientist were supposed to go and work there but the chinese reneged on that part of the agreement. Since then no access has ever been given to what is happening there.

45 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Read somewhere that the lab was built under a french chinese  project because at the time the chinese did not have the expertise to build the most secure labs (SL4). Under the agreement 150 french scientist were supposed to go and work there but the chinese reneged on that part of the agreement. Since then no access has ever been given to what is happening there.

We could blame them anyway.

Archived