Home v Away

SaintRam

I'm finding this season bizarre. I know it was a cup game tonight, and that its a little different, but it plays into my confusion as the performance was not all that dissimilar to many an away game this season.

There is a huge disparity between our home and away form so far this season; I'm not sure I've seen one bigger - and I'm curious what people's thoughts might be as to the reasons why.

For reference:

image.png.c2ff5509cb022d2a81b040042f81d97f.png

image.png.e79b34c6e89949d0b568a3966cb5f966.png

(Green is PPG at Home, Blue is PPG Away)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'm finding this season bizarre. I know it was a cup game tonight, and that its a little different, but it plays into my confusion as the performance was not all that dissimilar to many an away game this season.

There is a huge disparity between our home and away form so far this season; I'm not sure I've seen one bigger - and I'm curious what people's thoughts might be as to the reasons why.

For reference:

image.png.c2ff5509cb022d2a81b040042f81d97f.png

image.png.e79b34c6e89949d0b568a3966cb5f966.png

(Green is PPG at Home, Blue is PPG Away)

For me it has to be the way Cocu sets the team up differently home v away.

Away from home we tend to set him 2 holding midfielders, 1 up top, apart from against Palace we tend to struggle.

We are on an unbeaten run at the minute with a very good chance of extending that against Luton on Tuesday, but my word we need to be much better or that wont be the case.

-15 GD away. 

I see Cocu as a manager focused on the first two thirds of the pitch. The defending and the possession. In the final third there is nothing clever going on like we saw under Mac or Burley or even under the best times under Nigel. It's just freestyle then.

I guess there are several reasons for the away form but I wonder if one among them is that teams are much more aggressive in the way they press and attack on their home turf?

Most games are grind though with small margins. We get the bounce at home but not away. 

A neat exchange between forwards and little through balls and round the corner passes seem beyond us. 

I AM OUTRAGED BY THAT STAT GOD DAMM Derby WHAT ARE YOU DOIN ON THE TEAM COACH ON THE WAY TO BE THAT BLOODY BAD AWAY FROM PRIDE PARK I WILL CALL RADIO Derby LATER TO WHINGE ABOUT ROONEY NOT SIGNING MY AUTOGRAPH AND THAT WE DIDNT WIN A LOT MORE GAMES WE GOT TO THE PLAYOFF FINAL LAST YEAR DIDNT YOU KNOW AND I AM OUTRAGED, OR SHOULD THAT SAY APPALLED & ALSO DISGUSTED THAT WE ARE NOT TOP 6 AGAIN COS WE DESERVE IT OR SUMMATS.

CRY ME A RIVER..OVER & OUT.

From what I saw tonight it’s not like we don’t get into decent positions, I think we sometimes lack composure in that final pass which means we don’t create the opening and then invites the home side to push forward rather than giving them something to feel cautious about. Also we find it very easy to pass wide for then Bogle/Lowe/Malone etc to try and cross to no one in particular and rarely beating the first man. 

I think at home teams generally sit deeper and we tend to find a couple of openings. Thats the main difference.

31 minutes ago, Alpha said:

-15 GD away. 

I see Cocu as a manager focused on the first two thirds of the pitch. The defending and the possession. In the final third there is nothing clever going on like we saw under Mac or Burley or even under the best times under Nigel. It's just freestyle then.

I guess there are several reasons for the away form but I wonder if one among them is that teams are much more aggressive in the way they press and attack on their home turf?

Most games are grind though with small margins. We get the bounce at home but not away. 

A neat exchange between forwards and little through balls and round the corner passes seem beyond us. 

I don’t think it’s freestyle, the wingers intentionally drift into the channel and I can’t work out why. Maybe it will work eventually. You have to think there’s an end goal to us being intentionally narrow. 

It’s the mentality away from home. We seem to come out away from home so deep and defensive so many times that I can only think its deliberate. Cocu needs to be braver, either that or the players actually need to listen to the managerial staff and work harder. It’s probably a combination of both.

We had a similar record in Clough’s last full season. Back then it was because he didn’t trust us away from home (when he should have) and this side he’d built that was spanking everyone at home was forced to play negatively away. 

Can’t put my finger on what’s wrong this time. Perhaps we aren’t good enough to play open games.

Completely baffled. People talk of different mentalities, different formations and the opponents setting up differntly, but why should this be the case?

When a team is away from home what's different? The pitch is still a big green rectangle with white stripes, the laws of the game are no different, there are still eleven other blokes trying to kick a ball into our net whilst trying to stop us kicking it into their net.  The only difference that I can see is that away from home there are are few more people saying "boo" and other nasty things to you.  The players can't be that sensitive, can they?

Whilst you should never base your entire game around it if you want to build a successful team, it's away games in particular where you often need that one player who can produce an individual piece of brilliance to act as a spark, but we don't have anyone in the squad who can provide that.

It doesn't necessarily follow that great performances follow (see Billy Davies/David Jones) but just that little something extra can drag you through a game, gain a few unexpected points and help to increase confidence levels, or at the very least cover up a few cracks!

Couple of reasons why I think;

1. We've defined ourselves as a possession based team but the problem is we're not that good a team (yet) therefore our lack of cutting edge is brutally exposed away from home against opponents who are much more on the front foot. There are teams on that list that are better away from home than at home (prime example being the treetards) who are better on the counter attack than when they are asked to take the game to a team.

2. A vicious circle of lack of confidence - we actually started the season away from home quite well, won at Huddersfield, then at Scunthorpe with a second XI, then a decent draw at Stoke, couple of shockers, then draws at Leeds & Barnsley. The big result was Charlton away, it being such an awful result & heralded the start of a run where we couldn't score with the very limited chances we were creating. When a team feels it can't score or is unable to create chances, it places a heavy burden on the defence to keep clean sheets. Wigan on Boxing Day seems to have stopped the rot but we're still very edgy away from PP

Back in the 70s when we were a force to be reckoned with we hardly lost a point at the BBG but drew lots of games away from home. Clough just made us hard to beat.With the right recruitment Cocu is gradgually getting us there. win at home hard to beat away.

Archived