The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I wonder if their are any brains at FIFA.

FIFA has explicit rules on political statements in those matches and competitions falling under FIFA’s direct and indirect5 jurisdiction focus in particular on the display of messages on clothing. The FIFA Laws of the Game6 list, at Law 4, the basic compulsory equipment to be used by each player (comprising playing jersey, shorts, stockings, shinguards and footwear), which in turn is furthered by a decision of the International FA Board clarifying Law 4, which states that:

“the basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images… The team of a player whose basic equipment has political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.”

The same also applies to undergarments worn by players, and it is reasonably clear therefore that, as a player, wearing a political statement on your shirt or removing ones shirt or other item of clothing to reveal a statement underneath is going to land you in trouble with FIFA.

It’s just another genius money making scheme by fifa.

They get to fine every team that takes part and make a bucket load of cash!

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite the statement from Chelsea, seeing as they're being sued by their own former players for the racist abuse suffered from a member of staff in the past.

Despite an independent inquiry, set up by the club finding it did happen, they're defending themselves as not liable, and asking the claimants to sue the coach directly.

When they take the knee, it should be in shame, not empathy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/06/11/chelsea-face-high-court-showdown-players-claim-careers-ruined/

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I wonder how many brains are going to explode (or already have done) regarding the news that all players in the Premier League will have 'Black Lives Matter' on their shirts instead of their names when the season recommences next week?

Politics and sport should never mix there is a time and place for everything.  If they had shirts celebrating Brexit my view would be exactly the same or all lives matter.

At some point you have pack your up troubles in your old kitpack and smile  

Once we've removed all the statues, renamed our city's streets and deleted a few tv programmes or films that have been deemed offensive. What next, have a few buildings demolished that were constructed using slave trade money. Well that should change the skyline of a number of cities.

Will all of this activity, have answered the questions raised by the death of George Floyd or resolved any other inequality within our society? I very much doubt it.

45 minutes ago, cstand said:

Politics and sport should never mix there is a time and place for everything.  If they had shirts celebrating Brexit my view would be exactly the same or all lives matter.

At some point you have pack your up troubles in your old kitpack and smile  

To tell the truth, I sort-of agree, at least in part. However, if politics was completely divorced from sport and ne'er the twain permitted to meet, then it's quite possible that South Africa would still be an apartheid regime, and Nelson Mandela might have died in prison. 

Oh, and Alan Wells would never have won an Olympic gold medal.

4 hours ago, Archied said:

Explain being played and by whom

By the media, and any other company that makes money from the ad revenue generated by the seemingly inexhaustible supply of people who are happy to vent their rage on these matters  (and yes I do mean on both sides).

A week ago this was about police brutality and their murder of a black man. Now the media have managed to get everyone arguing about the wrongs/rights of judging a 40 year old comedy TV shows  by modern values. 

We're all mugs

My mother died last year at the age of 93 and, robbed of her inhibitions by dementia, she spent her last days being racist towards the people who were caring for her. It was very embarrassing having to apologise for her.

We lived in the Pear Tree/Normanton area, which in the Sixties was a working-class community undergoing "white flight" to places like Sunnyhill and the new estate at Sinfin Moor. Our parents were all as racist as hell, but thankfully it never seemed to rub off onto us kids at school. I can only recall one single incident in which the the N-word was used in anger, when one lad got very worked up, lost his temper and lashed out. A fight ensued, and the lad he insulted (who was one of the very first black lads to play football for Derby Boys) gave him a good hiding.

Many of the teachers at my old racially mixed primary school were either left-wing "do-gooders" or motivated by religion. One lady who taught there had been a missionary in India. She once gave us a lesson on Hindi and how to write it in the Devangari alphabet, which I found fascinating. It gave me a lasting interest in foreign languages and inspired me to become a left-wing "do-gooder" myself.

In my experience, racists tend to be miserable individuals who have never achieved very much in life and are grateful for the opportunity to at least have someone who they can look down their noses at on the basis of their skin colour, because nobody ever looks up to them.

If you ever see a swastika anywhere, make a superhero out of it.

Hakenkreuz.JPG.132a02c41fa9f6e47b5b235c907cc1b3.JPG

30 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

By the media, and any other company that makes money from the ad revenue generated by the seemingly inexhaustible supply of people who are happy to vent their rage on these matters  (and yes I do mean on both sides).

A week ago this was about police brutality and their murder of a black man. Now the media have managed to get everyone arguing about the wrongs/rights of judging a 40 year old comedy TV shows  by modern values. 

We're all mugs

To what ends ? Not sure it’s the media pulling down statues or vandalising them , all I ever see these days is the media blamed for everything and it just seems an easy get out it’s never the boris s or Cummings of this World or the statue attackers it’s the media’s fault for reporting it and yes that’s from both sides 

56 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

We're all mugs

It’s gesture politics on a grand scale. It’s not just the media and the politicians, it’s everyone that has bought into the idea that we are entitled to  be happy all the time. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, online forums, universities, it’s everywhere and it’s very dangerous. 

We should all stop looking for someone to blame and get on with fixing the problems we face today. At the moment we are spending most of our time defending our actions rather than taking the positive steps forward we so desperately need to take. 

22 minutes ago, Archied said:

To what ends ? Not sure it’s the media pulling down statues or vandalising them , all I ever see these days is the media blamed for everything and it just seems an easy get out it’s never the boris s or Cummings of this World or the statue attackers it’s the media’s fault for reporting it and yes that’s from both sides 

Conservative  newspapers will push a conservative narrative. In this instance, what better way to muddy the waters than to suggest that a harmless show was to be pulled to satisfy raging ANTIFA types like me. The intention is quite clear. It's another headline designed to undermine the BLM initiative and alienate the fence-sitters by highlighting another perceived negative aspect of the protests. Divide and rule, maintain the status quo. Why? Because it links people's attempts to address racism in the UK to the ritual desecration of British culture. It's really not hard to see but a lot of folk don't. They focus on the BS line being fed to them and arguments rage on. The last half dozen of this thread for instance.

And for the record, it's possible to see that balanced and informative journalism has been throttled to death in favour of agenda-laden clickbait and still be able to form an independent opinion on statue chucking, Cummings and Boris. The two thought processes are not, in any way, mutually exclusive. 

52 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

It’s gesture politics on a grand scale. It’s not just the media and the politicians, it’s everyone that has bought into the idea that we are entitled to  be happy all the time. Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, online forums, universities, it’s everywhere and it’s very dangerous. 

We should all stop looking for someone to blame and get on with fixing the problems we face today. At the moment we are spending most of our time defending our actions rather than taking the positive steps forward we so desperately need to take. 

So who are you actually talking about? Who is the segment of the populous that feels they 'are entitled to  be happy all the time'. Is that really what you believe the objective is? 

And you personally, what actions are you 'defending' and from whom and how does defending them prevent you from 'taking positive steps'. Isn't this is precisely the mindset that @SchtivePesley was alluding to? 

3 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

My mother died last year at the age of 93 and, robbed of her inhibitions by dementia, she spent her last days being racist towards the people who were caring for her. It was very embarrassing having to apologise for her.

We lived in the Pear Tree/Normanton area, which in the Sixties was a working-class community undergoing "white flight" to places like Sunnyhill and the new estate at Sinfin Moor. Our parents were all as racist as hell, but thankfully it never seemed to rub off onto us kids at school. I can only recall one single incident in which the the N-word was used in anger, when one lad got very worked up, lost his temper and lashed out. A fight ensued, and the lad he insulted (who was one of the very first black lads to play football for Derby Boys) gave him a good hiding.

Many of the teachers at my old racially mixed primary school were either left-wing "do-gooders" or motivated by religion. One lady who taught there had been a missionary in India. She once gave us a lesson on Hindi and how to write it in the Devangari alphabet, which I found fascinating. It gave me a lasting interest in foreign languages and inspired me to become a left-wing "do-gooder" myself.

In my experience, racists tend to be miserable individuals who have never achieved very much in life and are grateful for the opportunity to at least have someone who they can look down their noses at on the basis of their skin colour, because nobody ever looks up to them.

If you ever see a swastika anywhere, make a superhero out of it.

Hakenkreuz.JPG.132a02c41fa9f6e47b5b235c907cc1b3.JPG

That was not grandma talking mate sadly my grandma passied away same thing but also had dieabties you see they hear things differently. One memory sticks with me how clever she was. She escaped from Derby city hospital she clocked nurses how long it takes them to do there rounds. But sadly when she got out she did have a clue were she was. But even on mothers day my grandma was back even if it was for few mins she told how she met great brain clough and how her dad took to watch Derby play at bbg and they next she was gone my knees bluckled under neath me even through I spent all day at bed side with my mum holding her hand I said grandma okay to let go I will look after everybody or try my best too I am crying as I post this.

6 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

That was not grandma talking mate sadly my grandma passied away same thing but also had dieabties you see they hear things differently. One memory sticks with me how clever she was. She escaped from Derby city hospital she clocked nurses how long it takes them to do there rounds. But sadly when she got out she did have a clue were she was. But even on mothers day my grandma was back even if it was for few mins she told how she met great brain clough and how her dad took to watch Derby play at bbg and they next she was gone my knees bluckled under neath me even through I spent all day at bed side with my mum holding her hand I said grandma okay to let go I will look after everybody or try my best too I am crying as I post this.

Sorry mate. I'm posting comedy clips and I've just read your post. 

Sorry mate. Really sorry

15 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

It is okay mate you did not know she been gone 5 years now but still feels like yesterday.

Just try to remember and focus on the happy times. Much much easier said than done. But I'm sure they're the memories we all want people to have. 

These wounds take time to heal, dude. And time does heel even if it seems like it won't. You will make her proud and you can hold onto the happy memories. 

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Conservative  newspapers will push a conservative narrative. In this instance, what better way to muddy the waters than to suggest that a harmless show was to be pulled to satisfy raging ANTIFA types like me. The intention is quite clear. It's another headline designed to undermine the BLM initiative and alienate the fence-sitters by highlighting another perceived negative aspect of the protests. Divide and rule, maintain the status quo. Why? Because it links people's attempts to address racism in the UK to the ritual desecration of British culture. It's really not hard to see but a lot of folk don't. They focus on the BS line being fed to them and arguments rage on. The last half dozen of this thread for instance.

And for the record, it's possible to see that balanced and informative journalism has been throttled to death in favour of agenda-laden clickbait and still be able to form an independent opinion on statue chucking, Cummings and Boris. The two thought processes are not, in any way, mutually exclusive. 

I’m not daft enough to not know there’s not agenda driven media on both sides and as such always try to find the balance , personally I’ve found the debate on here regards the statues and tv stuff valuable, it hasn’t muddied the waters at all for me or taken away from the main issue of BLM or racism in the form that exists today in this country and yes I do believe it still exists today and we still have work to do.

my ONE big problem with SOME elements ( mostly young element and white ) of the blm message is the tarring of decent people,,it’s so sad

i look at my kids and they don’t have a racist bone in their bodies and yes it makes me quietly proud as I know that’s the life example they have picked up from myself and their mum , no I don’t need or expect praise just for being what everybody should be naturally but I am offended to be labelled part of the problem or inherently racist because of my skin colour.

as a side note one area we see the underlying racism around us is my wife’s work , she is a childminder and she has a mix of ethnic children ,,you should see some of the looks she gets out and about with 4 or 5 kids of all different shades , over the last year I’ve helped her with school pick ups , I pick up a lovely little black girl from school and walk her home to our house , she runs out ,holds my hand and talks my ears off all the way home and I get to be like the daft old grandad that’s fun to be ( no grand kids yet) it’s the most natural thing in the world as kids don’t see colour and it’s up to us all to create a world where they never have to , I guess the point I’m making probably not very well through this debate is it should not be under estimated how many people by their actions are doing this and have been for years and the value that has ,

the biggest thing we all can do is be decent human beings , not for praise ,reward or show , just because it’s the right thing to do

6 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

It's the positive memories that stay with you mate, not the negative ones. I'm glad you have lots of good memories of your grandma, just as I have of my mum.

Archived