The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

1 minute ago, ramit said:

Have we become so burnt by past failures that we automatically discard hope for a better future and better leaders to guide folks into that future?

Lets give him a chance before we lump him in with failed corrupt leaders of past and present in the region.  He speaks like a nationalist of the deficiency of self sufficiency, something even first world countries can examine themselves about.

Of course I'm not writing him off, it's just that I've seen it all before. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

From the outside, most African leaders say the same. 

20 years later they're overthrown by the military having amassed enormous personal wealth for them and their cronies, with little progress in their countryman's lives to show for their time in office.

The next fella comes in, and rinse and repeat.

Sounds like US politicians, apart from the overthrowing. 

13 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:
Yet I still firmly believe he'll get another 4 years. 

I thought he'd win last time and I think he will win next time IF the Covid thing turns around.

But seriously, he's not winning himself any new supporters over here with his erratic behavior. 

And last time it was a matter of 70k votes over 4 or 5 States that gave him the win after losing the popular vote by 3 million.

He can win, but I think he needs Biden to implode.

Which by the way, is very possible.

Ugh.

41 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

The 'Leader of the Free World' there. Every time he opens his mouth it gets more and more upsetting, yet I still firmly believe he'll get another 4 years. 

I think his strategy is obvious now.  Blame the coronavirus on China at every opportunity and in doing so, deflect attention from his own administration's dreadfully poor preparation for the virus' arrival in the US.  American deaths are China's fault and China's alone, seems to be Trump's message.

It might even work for the tangerine chancer. 

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

I think his strategy is obvious now.  Blame the coronavirus on China at every opportunity and in doing so, deflect attention from his own administration's dreadfully poor preparation for the virus' arrival in the US.  American deaths are China's fault and China's alone, seems to be Trump's message.

It might even work for the tangerine chancer. 

And China are making themselves an easy target by refusing an investigation being carried out into the origin of the virus.

Wonder why they are doing that?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And China are making themselves an easy target by refusing an investigation being carried out into the origin of the virus.

Probably for the same reason people here in the UK, say we shouldn't be questioning our government's performance of dealing with the coronavirus, until the crisis is over.

17 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Probably for the same reason people here in the UK, say we shouldn't be questioning our government's performance of dealing with the coronavirus, until the crisis is over.

It's not a big thing in China though is it? Only a handful of deaths so not like they have good a big health emergency on their hands like us.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's not a big thing in China though is it? Only a handful of deaths so not like they have good a big health emergency on their hands like us.

That's OK then, the Chinese can carry out their own investigation on the origin of the virus, if they haven't done so already. While the rest of the world can stay focused in dealing with crisis in their own individual countries.

Tbh if I was president, I would have been annoyed by that question. And maybe it is understandable to be angry with China. A bit of a fuss over nothing in this instance?

46 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

That's OK then, the Chinese can carry out their own investigation on the origin of the virus, if they haven't done so already. While the rest of the world can stay focused in dealing with crisis in their own individual countries.

And then after that our Government can carry out it's own investigation into its handling of the pandemic then I assume?

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And then after that our Government can carry out it's own investigation into its handling of the pandemic then I assume?

I think it's all proceeding to plan.

The poor are being sent back to work to become the 'controlled second phase', those who are ill but not with Covid-19, needing operations, chemotherapy and cannot obtain treatment because either the hospital is short-staffed or the beds are needed for Covid-19 patients are quietly being euthanised, and the partial relaxation of the lockdown together with the gradual reduction of the furlough scheme to just 60% will accelerate that process towards 'herd immunity' without attaching any blame to themselves.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Tbh if I was president, I would have been annoyed by that question. And maybe it is understandable to be angry with China. A bit of a fuss over nothing in this instance?

What’s to be annoyed about? It seemed like a valid question to me. Say what you will about our politicians, I doubt very much if either Johnson or Starmer would responded in such a way followed by refusing to allow the next reporter to even ask a question and then walking out. 

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

What’s to be annoyed about? It seemed like a valid question to me. Say what you will about our politicians, I doubt very much if either Johnson or Starmer would responded in such a way followed by refusing to allow the next reporter to even ask a question and then walking out. 

It was utterly pathetic, as we have come to expect from President Toddler.

I expect that today's couple of hundred rage-tweets will be even more insane than usual.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Spot on RamNut, She sits back after being "rebuked" then thinks...hello I'm of Asian origin, I'll ask him why he aimed that statement at me...then gets cut off.

There's a new spokeperson for the President, A blonde female, She turned the tables onto to journalists last week when they said the statements coming from the Whitehouse are contradicting, She named several papers that have done the exact same thing...as Corporal Jones said "they don't like it up em"

2 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Spot on RamNut, She sits back after being "rebuked" then thinks...hello I'm of Asian origin, I'll ask him why he aimed that statement at me...then gets cut off.

There's a new spokeperson for the President, A blonde female, She turned the tables onto to journalists last week when they said the statements coming from the Whitehouse are contradicting, She named several papers that have done the exact same thing...as Corporal Jones said "they don't like it up em"

Surprised you didn't pop a couple of 'Obamagates' in there for emphasis - you know, that heinous crime that was revealed to the world one question and two minutes before his mental breakdown and childish flounce.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Surprised you didn't pop a couple of 'Obamagates' in there for emphasis - you know, that heinous crime that was revealed to the world one question and two minutes before his mental breakdown and childish flounce.

I've no need too, While we have Polititians and Journalists that keep feeding the electorate with crass "statements, Questions and answers" there'll be people that will react in a way where they feel they need to defend those that are hurt by the above.

Like it or not, these days you need the media if not on your side at least neutral. Walking off in a huff comes across as extremely immature, and its not the first time he's done it. It guarantees hostile reporting. His margin of error come next election may come down to just a few thousand votes in swing states. A hostile media could kill his chances completely.

I think some of our minor politicians have exited mid interview occasionally, but I don't remember any PM doing it. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Clearly China didn't deal with the virus in a transparent manner in the beginning. That's the nature of their political system and I wouldn't even try to defend that. The view that China is at least partly culpable for the pandemic is hardly debatable. Also, the medical and scientific communities will obviously wish to study the origin and spread of the virus when all this is over and China should facilitate that.  

None of that is really relevant to the point I was making which is that Trump is clearly following a strategy of building up the perception in the media that China is to blame for everything. It is an attempt to deflect attention from his own administration's failings and his own dismissal of the Covid threat for a month or more. He has been heavily and rightly criticised in the US for his handling of the pandemic and he is looking to shift the blame entirely to China.

Archived