The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Why has he? Wasn't lockdown only ever meant to be a short term solution to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed? Well, it isn't overwhelmed. So relaxing some measures seems the sensible step.

Total number of confirmed cases in the UK: 206,715
Total number of cases required to achieve herd immunity (60 % of UK population) :the UK: 40,000,000
Number of cases to go: 39,793,285

Still plenty of scope for the the NHS to  overwhelmed

2 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Total number of cases required to achieve herd immunity (60 % of UK population) :the UK: 40,000,000

Where are you getting your figures for people who have had from? Would number of positives from those tested give us a decent guesstimate / model? of how many not yet tested are liable to have had it? Perhaps not but just assuming that people not tested yet are waiting to get it and overwhelm the nhs is not near accurate either

13 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The actual number of cases is way higher than that, you'd have to assume. That being said, you can't keep people inside indefinitely. You open it up gradually, and if it looks like it's overwhelmed then put some restrictions back. This indefinite lockdown just isn't sensible. 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Where are you getting your figures for people who have had from? Would number of positives from those tested give us a decent guesstimate / model? of how many not yet tested are liable to have had it?

These are the number of cases we know about.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Of course, many more people will have caught it who have not been tested, but we don't know how many.

The problem is that the virus is still very unevenly distributed within the general population, even if you correct the error by multiplying the number of confirmed cases by 10 or even 50. It's still bugger all as a percentage of the population.

If I were to go Nottingham to test the prevalence of Covid amongst Forest fans and then extrapolated the results for the whole country, I would find that only Forest fans had caught it but no Derby or Leeds fans anywhere in Britain.

The sample is still too small and inhomogeneous to allow the results to be extrapolated reliably. We can make an educated guess, but it is still essentially guesswork at this stage.

24 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I'm sick of it as well, but we are all going to have to put our social lives on ice and get used to going out of each others way for some time yet.

I'm well aware of it, but you can't ask people to put their whole lives on hold forever. The Government have to show the future and where we go from here, we can't all sit inside until a vaccine is ready. It's simply not going to happen. 

59 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

And the "chinese virus" to make sure deflation turns into contraction

I read that as 'cheese virus' and panicked. I can make my own Chinese food, but I only know how to make cottage cheese.

56 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Is this set up so people can talk about real politics and we can leave the other one for the communist ideologists to carry on contradicting them selves?

We’re all right on this thread. Literally.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

I read that as 'cheese virus' and panicked. I can make my own Chinese food, but I only know how to make cottage cheese.

Close....As it happens the chinese dont do cheese or milk products, they are not keen on it. It might have changed, but way back when i worked in Hong Kong I was once told that for them westerners are tall and smell of sour milk. One of the westerners there was dutch, ginger, 6"7 and drank  a lot milk instead of the usual chinese tea... he fitted the bill!

12 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I'm torn on this ,the youths deserve a good slap ,but the copper just isn't up to the job.I'm afraid the police have suffered like a lot of organisations taking recruits on which clearly are not good enough due to our PC world .

Years ago you had to be 5 foot 10 inches and physically fit and able to swim a certain distance ,nowadays people think they have a right to pursue a career regardless. I'm 66 and he couldn't arrest me unless I let him.

There's like a dozen of them, he'd have to be like the incredible hulk to scare them off. 

Archived