The Politics Thread 2020

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

When I was a lad, I used to march around Derby city centre in a Scout uniform blowing a bugle, and great fun it was too. I'd get arrested if I did it again on Thursday.

I bet you would too.

3 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Same as I always do - nothing. It's not a day I've ever felt any need to celebrate. Means nowt to me

Incoming from the right?

I've never really known anyone who ever celebrated it. Can't remember anyone ever talking about it back when I was a kid either. Probably the whole dragon thing makes it a bit silly vs saints of rest of Britain who I think were based a bit more in reality, right?

When I was younger I thought the English didn't really need to go in for this sort of thing. Partly stiff upper lip, partly that is what smaller countries did to show they were different. 

I think I've always thought more of being British rather than English anyway. Hope that doesn't upset any of the 'proud to be English brigade'. Like you had any choice in it.

9 hours ago, TramRam said:

The BBC also currently has no evidence to support the suggestion these allegedly fake accounts had anything to do with the UK government.

That sounds like another way of saying, they didn't look and refused to look

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I've never really known anyone who ever celebrated it. Can't remember anyone ever talking about it back when I was a kid either. Probably the whole dragon thing makes it a bit silly vs saints of rest of Britain who I think were based a bit more in reality, right?

When I was younger I thought the English didn't really need to go in for this sort of thing. Partly stiff upper lip, partly that is what smaller countries did to show they were different. 

I think I've always thought more of being British rather than English anyway. Hope that doesn't upset any of the 'proud to be English brigade'. Like you had any choice in it.

I'm proud to be English, British and European but I don't think I'll be doing anything special to celebrate St George's Day.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

No complaints from me, You're not alone, There's plenty of people that choose to do that, I have some Scottish and Welsh friends who say they are Scottish or Welsh not British when this conversation usually crops up, No Northern Irish friends tho.

I'm born in England and reside in England and have a British passport, I have never felt "embarrassed" as some do when asked where are you from.

I'm English.

28 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I'm proud to be English, British and European but I don't think I'll be doing anything special to celebrate St George's Day.

I'll be raising my flag of St George in the front garden, sitting in my union jack deckchair, and I'll be putting St George flag bunting around the front of the house.

Who am I kidding. The house looks like that every day. Perhaps I'll just kill a dragon to mark the occasion.

Always thought of myself as English first and foremost.  If other people view themselves as British or whatever thats entirely up to them.

It would be nice to celebrate St George's Day, a bit like the Irish celebrate St Patricks Day but never have done and starting a tradition now would feel a bit contrived anyway.  Just give us an extra bank holiday, that will do ?

14 minutes ago, TramRam said:

No complaints from me, You're not alone, There's plenty of people that choose to do that, I have some Scottish and Welsh friends who say they are Scottish or Welsh not British when this conversation usually crops up, No Northern Irish friends tho.

I'm born in England and reside in England and have a British passport, I have never felt "embarrassed" as some do when asked where are you from.

I'm English.

Is the main confusion with English identity that Britain is a country made up of 4 countries? Not sure anywhere else is like it and difficult to explain it to kids when they ask why. Northern Ireland also been part of Ireland complicates matters further. Are we from Great Britain, Britain, United Kingdom or England?

Could that be why far right types have always associated with England football as it's one of the only obvious places where you can understand what England means? Even England cricket team is officially England and Wales, plus you can also play for England as well as Ireland and Scotland.

As for the 3 smaller countries wanting to be recognised as different, is that much different from been a Brummie, Geordie, Scouser, Cornish, Manc or Yorkshire? Wanting to stand out from where you come from?

I think I always associated 'England' with the huge population in the South East, which don't seem to have as clear local identities as the areas above. Cockneys only ever came from a tiny geographical area, abmnd I know very few people who really consider themselves Londoners first and foremost, even when they have lived their whole life in Greater London.

42 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'll be raising my flag of St George in the front garden, sitting in my union jack deckchair, and I'll be putting St George flag bunting around the front of the house.

Who am I kidding. The house looks like that every day. Perhaps I'll just kill a dragon to mark the occasion.

You were doing so well, A1ZNsTAFw5L._SL1500_.jpg

Nothing screams patriotism like celebrating the birth of a Roman soldier of Greek heritage in what is now Turkey. That is, if he even existed at all.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against a day of celebration in honour of our country I just think the symbolism of it all is superfluous to the occasion. I eagerly await the Facebook posts of people claiming to have been sent to prison for 300 years for flying a flag though.

27 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not against a day of celebration in honour of our country I just think the symbolism of it all is superfluous to the occasion. I eagerly await the Facebook posts of people claiming to have been sent to prison for 300 years for flying a flag though.

Thing is - I'm not a christian, yet Christmas is the bank holiday I look forward to the most. So it can't really be about how you identify can it?

It's really about how much fun the day is. And St George's Day is no fun at all. The scant celebrations you do see tend to be fat beer-bellied, beetroot faced tattooed bald men rolling around drunk, wrapped in flags acting like cavemen

Essentially what I'm sayig is that if the patriots want us to celebrate St George's Day then they need to work a lot harder at making that an attractive proposition. Balloons and a jaunty song would be a start

35 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Thing is - I'm not a christian, yet Christmas is the bank holiday I look forward to the most. So it can't really be about how you identify can it?

It's really about how much fun the day is. And St George's Day is no fun at all. The scant celebrations you do see tend to be fat beer-bellied, beetroot faced tattooed bald men rolling around drunk, wrapped in flags acting like cavemen

Essentially what I'm sayig is that if the patriots want us to celebrate St George's Day then they need to work a lot harder at making that an attractive proposition. Balloons and a jaunty song would be a start

In some instances you're right, There are those that will go over board with drink, I've witnessed it, Then again there's those that don't, You don't have to portray a Neanderthal to celebrate a Patron Saint or a Country.

Not sure where you live, In Derbys market place at 11am on the 23rd there are hundreds of folk watching a speech then a little act of St George slaying a dragon, Pretty sure when pubs again open there will be beer flowing as normal and the Country will resume to old practices of punching faces in at weekends

I've seen English people celebrate St Patricks day, An excuse to get blitzed.

Archived