George Thorne, Jeff Hendrick, Bryson and Will Hughes

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

How did that midfield not play in the Premier League together?

I just randomly thought about it, throw in Lingard and Ince on loan even Bamford.

You cant deny we gave it good go.

Our midfield under Mac (mostly built by Clough), was absolutely triffic.

Thorne - Made of glass

Hendrick - had 1 good euros wasn't exactly quality prior to that.

Bryson - Was quality to be fair

Hughes - Snakey is a snake

28 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I just randomly thought about it, throw in Lingard and Ince on loan even Bamford.

Ibe on loan was awesome, Lingaard on loan was massively overrated and ineffective, hated him. He might have done OK after but he did naff all for Derby (he's a pet peeve)

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Ibe on loan was awesome, Lingaard on loan was massively overrated and ineffective, hated him. He might have done OK after but he did naff all for Derby (he's a pet peeve)

I agree about Lingard, but his loan stint at Brum before us was very successful, so you could argue the only club he didn't do well was Derby.

When Thorne was fit, Hughes was injured and when Hughes was fit either or both of Martin and Thorne were injured

The spine we had of Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Martin barely ever got out on a regular basis. 

Mac didn't have a fit Thorne after buying him

Clement had a fit Thorne but Hughes did his knee on the opening day v Bolton. 

Bryson spent some time out injured and I'm sure Martin was out during that season but I can't remember too well. Clement season was quite forgettable really. The highlight was the Hull away game in the Play Offs. 

Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson and Martin was a great spine for this league. They are all different but the same. All hard working in their own ways, all good passers of the ball and it's like the perfect run of Defender, defender/playmaker, link up player, agile attacker, playmaker. 

All bases covered right down the pitch. But very rare they played together.

The season after Wembley was when the foundations started to crack. The biggest turning point for me was when Martin got injured away at Bournemouth. He was integral to the way we played and although Bent scored a lot of goals our pattern of play changed so much after the Wardrobe got injured. 

OIt's almost funny but not quite that we were so desperate to get Thorne. Twitter updates and the thread updated every 30 seconds. Then he gets put out for the season. 

Then when Clement comes in we all get excited. Mac has left a good team and it just needs a bit of fine tuning. Thorne is back fit and no way can we get hit by injuries like the previous season.

Boom! Hughes out for the season. 

You know when you looked back at like Barcelona? Quite a good team without Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. Not a bad side without those. Yet they always seem to be on the pitch. 

While little old Derby who haven't got that power to go out and get any player have had a calendar year of complete crippling injuries in key areas. 

Still, that's the past. At least we don't have to put up with season ending injuries to key players at the start of the season anymore. 

God's a red dog. 

Put my Derby team of the decade together yesterday, and allowing for players like Mount and Tomori, the bulk of it was that Mac squad.  Easily our golden patch during the decade.

That being said, I always thought Hendrick was massively overrated, was bang average 90% of the time and his sale to Burnley was the best business we have done in years.

Had we been able to go a full season with a fully-fit Thorne, Bryson and Hughes, things could have been very different.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Because that midfield didn't get us out of the Championship.

I was never sure what the best use of them was,when it all clicked it was unbelievable.

I remember going to Rotherham away in 2015 and the first half was awful(Mascarell,Hendrick and Hughes) it was 3-1 at half time and we were only kept in it by a worldie from Ince.

Mascarell,Hendrick and Jamie Ward came off and I think Bryson,Dawkins and Lingard came on plus Hughesy dropped to CDM.

We were fantastic 2nd half and should have had 6.

Not sure this has anything to do with the thread but it was the first thing that came into my mind.

Look at our current midfield and remember how much we slated Hendrick.

Because John Eustace got too old to remain injury free.

Thorne was a fantastic player, but it was telling that in Craig Bryson's recent interview he singled out Eustace as being the experienced workhorse that allowed him to play with the freedom required to contribute so many goals from midfield.

My favourite John Eustace moment came in away game at Ipswich where he flattened David McGoldrick miles away from the ball and still somehow only got a yellow card, closely followed by him going mental in front of the south stand after scoring an extremely rare header against QPR.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Ultimately we weren’t good enough ! 

As for lingard and Ince - well that’s when we really started letting the goals in 

as a team we were much better with ward and Russell and Dawkins helping out 

Archived