George Thorne, Jeff Hendrick, Bryson and Will Hughes

MackworthRamIsGod

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Hendrick is/was the most underrated player we’ve had in modern times. It’s not just luck that he’s had the better career than the others.

It could never work out why he was so inconsistent,at his best he was brilliant.

If George has had stayed fit and we’d had Brys,Hendrick and Hughesy(and they’d stayed fit) to pick two of who knows.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

It could never work out why he was so inconsistent,at his best he was brilliant.

If George has had stayed fit and we’d had Brys,Hendrick and Hughesy(and they’d stayed fit) to pick two of who knows.

This is a bit of a ponder, but I do wonder whether we’ve ended up overrating these players a little. All fantastic players when every cog is in place for them, but it’s fair to say none of them have had the glittering careers we thought they would have. What I’m essentially trying to say is that even without the injuries for Thorne to maintain the standard he was in his pomp it would have taken something special anyway. Same for Hughes and Bryson (I think Hendrick’s ‘less impactful’ approach has suited him much better and probably helped him achieve a decent standard!)

4 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

Put my Derby team of the decade together yesterday, and allowing for players like Mount and Tomori, the bulk of it was that Mac squad.  Easily our golden patch during the decade.

That being said, I always thought Hendrick was massively overrated, was bang average 90% of the time and his sale to Burnley was the best business we have done in years.

Had we been able to go a full season with a fully-fit Thorne, Bryson and Hughes, things could have been very different.

Funny you think Hendrick was massively overrated - personally I was a Hendrick fan and I seem to remember him not being rated at all, it was all Hughes Hughes Hughes- now I liked Will Hughes a lot, but I thought Jeff was better in certain areas and a great foil to him.

It is funny how people remember things differently though.

Just seen the posts by Van Cone de Head and TuffLuff who both seem to state he was underrated too.

Personally of the 4 (using FM terminology now) I would have had Thorne Deep lying playmaker, Hughes Roaming Playmaker, Hendrick Box to Box Midfielder

And used Bryson as a sub to come and add his energy.

All overrated and not exactly playing at the better clubs in the prem and not guaranteed starters...Hughes is a good player but some make him out to be better than what he actually is....same for Hendrick  Thorne is made of glass and basically  doesn't play anymore and Bryson was a good championship midfielder but no better than that ...If we'd beaten QPR as we should've i beleive we would've survived but if we were to progress eventually would've wanted better than all of them

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

All overrated and not exactly playing at the better clubs in the prem and not guaranteed starters...Hughes is a good player but some make him out to be better than what he actually is....same for Hendrick  Thorne is made of glass and basically  doesn't play anymore and Bryson was a good championship midfielder but no better than that ...If we'd beaten QPR as we should've i beleive we would've survived but if we were to progress eventually would've wanted better than all of them

Overrated, but 2 are planning in the prem. 1 is in the Scottish prem. 1 has been injured more often than not. 

thats a better record than any of our current midfielders. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Overrated, but 2 are planning in the prem. 1 is in the Scottish prem. 1 has been injured more often than not. 

thats a better record than any of our current midfielders. 

yes true Tedd  all of them are good players in there own rights and better than what we have fit to play at present IMO ...i just meant that going forward we would want better....Leicester have Maddison, Tielemans etc and I'd like to think one day we will be looking at that calibre of player...If leicester can do it why shouldn't we be aiming as high as them 

11 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Hendrick is/was the most underrated player we’ve had in modern times. It’s not just luck that he’s had the better career than the others.

Don't get many midfielders equally proficient with right and left foot.  That last home game against Brighton before he left he was the best player on the park.  Seemed like he'd bulked up enough to do the dirty work as much as the attacking.   Lost him at just the wrong time.  when he went to Burnley I'm sure another premier league team came in for him as well.  Don't get too many of our players wanted by more than one top division club.  That's why we get £5.50.

On 20/12/2019 at 08:16, MackworthRamIsGod said:

How did that midfield not play in the Premier League together?

I just randomly thought about it, throw in Lingard and Ince on loan even Bamford.

You cant deny we gave it good go.

Our midfield under Mac (mostly built by Clough), was absolutely triffic.

Shouldn’t have sold Hendrick, he would matured into a proper number 8 for us, Hughes   was already a real player for us and we just needed a John Eustace type enforcer because as good as George Thorne was he didn’t break up play as well as we needed him to in the big games. 

Archived