The Future Is Promising

Bubbles

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Squid said:

Fed up of seeing doom and gloom on this forum so wanted to share a bit of positivity, hopefully it makes a nice little change.

If you look at the way the youths play, it is exactly how Cocu wants the first team to play, playing out from the back but in a positive way, always looking for that pass forward, that drive forward, where as with the first team its the opposite.

This is one of the things that Mr. Cocu mentioned when he outlined his ambitions and his philosophy, he wants the youth to play how the first team do to help bridge the gap, the issue is, the players in the first team lack confidence, and, dare i say it: Quality.

This also links to why I am a firm believer that Cocu and Co are going to do wonders for us in the long run, and we will reap the rewards of patience.

You could easily see visibly the way Cocu was getting peeved off at our players passing back, not taking them risks/chances.

So the other teams play the way Cocu wants but somehow he is not able to influence what our first team does on the pitch despite the fact that he is responsible for coaching the first team?

48 minutes ago, desirelines said:

A nice phrase was used on this week's Totally Football Show, something along the lines of "the best way to teach someone to swim, isn't by throwing them into a raging river".

I see so many people on Twitter saying 'play the kids' or 'Sibley must start' and 'why isn't Sibley playing ffs'. 

Yeah but he could at least let him paddle with waterwings - he's ready for that!

The fact that these lads have been training with the first team since the start of the season and then regularly play for their respective teams with the odd first team appearence only cements my belief that there's quite a lot of senior players who just cannot do what cocu wants ( not good enough ).

This has been said times, when he came here, him and Mel continuously said they want the youth teams to play with the exact style/philosophy as the 1st team will play.

Those players are doing it (and well).

It's the donkey's in the 1st team that cannot handle it. These will eventually get shipped out and players will be bought in/ youth promoted and we will then start to see the improvement.

We need patience, this team is bang average at best.

There's also no point in playing a different style "to play to the players strengths" just to appease some delusional fans who think we should be tanking everyone.

I believe this team will be unrecognisable in 12 months from what we have today.

imo ?

22 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

This has been said times, when he came here, him and Mel continuously said they want the youth teams to play with the exact style/philosophy as the 1st team will play.

What had they been (successfully) doing before Cocu got here then?

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whatever input Cocu is having hasn't taken them backwards. Impossible to know how they would be doing if he wasn't here.

Interestingly though, one thing Cocu did want was to keep those players here and not loan them all out. That may change in January but I would expect that to have given extra motivation...that and working with Rooney aswell.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He stated that he wouldn't need to change much in the way that we were already playing. Those who regularly watch the youth teams have said they are playing better and I think the coaches have alluded to that as well in interviews.

Lets not kid ourselves, those three loans carried the 1st team last season, when mount was out we were bang average. Now we have non of them and most of our main players are either injured or sacked.

Our squad is on it's knees atm and needs major work in terms of players.

This team ain't too shabby - if they are good enough they are old enough  - chuck em in

Peter Shilton 16, Micah Richards 17, John Stones 17, Colin Todd 17, Luke Shaw 17, Steve Powell 16, Tom Huddlestone 16, Bryan Robson 18, Paul Gasgoigne 17, Wayne Rooney 16, Michael Owen 17,

Did not do this lot any harm

8 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

This team ain't too shabby - if they are good enough they are old enough  - chuck em in

Peter Shilton 16, Micah Richards 17, John Stones 17, Colin Todd 17, Luke Shaw 17, Steve Powell 16, Tom Huddlestone 16, Bryan Robson 18, Paul Gasgoigne 17, Wayne Rooney 16, Michael Owen 17,

Did not do this lot any harm

Name a player in our academy system that you would say is as good as those stated at the same age. imo, we ain't got 1, even hughes and Hendrick are nowhere near those players.

I agree though, if they are good enough they are old enough but you've listed elite players and this happens very few and far between.

1 minute ago, mwram1973 said:

Name a player in our academy system that you would say is as good as those stated at the same age. imo, we ain't got 1, even hughes and Hendrick are nowhere near those players.

I agree though, if they are good enough they are old enough but you've listed elite players and this happens very few and between.

True - but I do not think we necessarily knew how good they were going to be when they were thrown in - to be fair Huddlestone has done better than I expected on Day 1 but not as good as I thought he would after 6 months.

Just now, Dethorn said:

True - but I do not think we necessarily knew how good they were going to be when they were thrown in - to be fair Huddlestone has done better than I expected on Day 1 but not as good as I thought he would after 6 months.

Agreed, probably only rooney and Gasgoigne would have been the exceptions tbh.

Just now, mwram1973 said:

I agree though, if they are good enough they are old enough but you've listed elite players and this happens very few and far between.

Have to disagree with you about Hughes. Nowhere near Richards, Stones, Shaw or Huddlestone? I'd say better than any of those.

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Have to disagree with you about Hughes. Nowhere near Richards, Stones, Shaw or Huddlestone? I'd say better than any of those.

I respect your opinion and I think hughes is a good player. But all those players have gone on to play for top teams, hughes plays for watford!!

Just now, mwram1973 said:

I respect your opinion and I think hughes is a good player. But all those players have gone on to play for top teams, hughes plays for watford!!

Playing for a top team doesn't really count as a ability for me! 

Just now, Dimmu said:

Playing for a top team doesn't really count as a ability for me! 

I can't see Liverpool or man city or any of the top 6 clubs ever signing hughes, Also I don't think watford could get Aguero, Mane, Salah or Foden to play for them.

Top players play at top clubs.

Of course the top top players play for big teams, the latest list makes sense. But your first list included some pretty crappy ones, which I picked up. 

As a reminder, when Manchester United won league last time around, they had players like Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling and Jones. Hardly blessed with ability and never as good as Hughes is already. They  just happened to have best manager football has ever seen. For the players. the team status doesn't always reflect the ability. If someone, it's we, who should from experience that player's status doesn't mean a poo.

59 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Of course the top top players play for big teams, the latest list makes sense. But your first list included some pretty crappy ones, which I picked up. 

As a reminder, when Manchester United won league last time around, they had players like Cleverley, Welbeck, Smalling and Jones. Hardly blessed with ability and never as good as Hughes is already. They  just happened to have best manager football has ever seen. For the players. the team status doesn't always reflect the ability. If someone, it's we, who should from experience that player's status doesn't mean a poo.

I would say that's just your opinion. All those players you have listed may not be world class but still had the ability to play for prob the best team in the world at the time and win the title, that amount of average players in a team won't win you titles so in my opinion they were better than hughes. They also played in different positions so it's hard to compare.

Lets not forget that those players have also played many times for England. How many caps has Hughes got?

Also I don't remember listing any players to compare him to, I was answering someone elses opinion.

Again, it's opinions and I loved hughes but he's not gone on and shown his obvious potential whereas all the others listed have won titles and played for their country and top teams in their careers.

imo of course ?

6 hours ago, DRBee said:

So the other teams play the way Cocu wants but somehow he is not able to influence what our first team does on the pitch despite the fact that he is responsible for coaching the first team?

The u18s (who make up the majority of the u23s too) have been playing together for years under a consistent coaching staff

The senior team this season can't even field the same 11 every week cos of injuries this season

Different situations 

I'll say it again - Patience everyone...

Archived