Biggest Goose bumps...

Mucker1884

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

"You live in the past, you live the paaast!!"

Not me

i live in the distant past....

1970 watney cup final

Oh happy and better days.

It's the little things you notice and remember (apart from the BBG without mud) - the refereeing decisions (or lack of), the complete lack of backchat or moaning from the players, substitutes running straight on with no 4th official nonsense, the goalkeepers without gloves and back passes, very little advertising (except for Watneys).  And how good we were.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

No order and I could probably pick many more but:

Dave Mackay's free kick v Chelsea in the League Cup in 1969

Archie Gemmill's free kick v f***** in 83 in the FA cup

Trevor Christie's penalty

They all have reasons - Dave's goal because it really marked the moment that team grew of age, he was such a special player and it was a BBG special night; Archie's because of the back story of Brian and Peter, the fact they were so much better than us and another BBG special atmosphere; Trevor's because it was so important for us to go up that year and because it was the last match I went to with my best mate who died not long afterwards of cancer in his early 30's. Miss him still.

Whilst I gave my own top 3, I don't recall restricting everyone else to 3.

Fill yer boots!  

EDIT:
Actually, reading my OP again, it does say "moment"... singular!  I clearly then went on to cheat, so I can hardly hold anyone else back!

Fill yer boots (Part 2!)  ?

I go for: 

Hendrick in the 10 men win at the Council Dump

Marriott against Leeds in that semi

Dave Mackay against Chelsea in 1969.

Hendrick because of who it was against, the harshness of the red card, provoked more by the Red Dog protests than a red card offence, and it wasn't even Hendrick's ball!

Marriotts goal against the Dirties, not because they had been better than us throughout the season, but because they have never, ever changed from being the Dirty team that has got them their knickname, used universally, and because of the whole spying thing.

Mackay's goal against Chelsea because it announced our arrival in the football world. I wasn't even at the match, and actually had never been to a match at the Baseball Ground - I was only 12 at the time. I loved football, but my parents had no interest in the beautiful game. MY grandparents lived in Harrington Street. a few hundred yards from the ground. We had been on a family visit, and dad drove past the ground on our way home, and I saw for the first time the glow of the BBG lights streaming skywards, and the sound of the crowd. I just knew that something very special was happening right there at that moment in time.

Roger Davies late winner, 3-2, against Leeds 1975 in the Lee-Hunter game.

Marriott's winner in the play off semi against Leeds last season.

Chris Martin's late equaliser last week against Leeds.

Ok so in case anyone thinks I've something against Leeds, try these...

Daly then Duncan's brace, three in three minutes against Forest, 4-1, in 1979. Shilton dropping every cross at the feet of a Derby player, two yards out.

Gemmill's 1983 free kick in the 2-0 cup win over Forest.

Hendrick's goal for 10 man Rams at Forest.

Russell's blast in Bryson's hat trick game against Forest.

There, no common theme in those.

All just spine tingling moments.

12 hours ago, GangwayD said:

Was on the Columbo that night and the atmosphere was sensational. (Only matched when we played Liverpool at home a couple of years later and John Barnes spent most of the game watching us what appeared in amazement and just grinning)

Didnt think it was a penalty at the time against Rotherham but thank you Mr Fitzharris from Bolton as it never was a pen looking back !

Pitch invasion at the final whistle but we had to climb into the Ossie end first and the few Rotherham fans left desperately trying to shake our hands. Walked round and on the ‘hallowed ground’ near C Stand. Trainers ditched as celebration commenced near the tunnel. 

Back to the pub and the Champaign literally flowed - still get the cork. Signing and dancing into the night. 

It seemed to mean so much more back then and we had a real connection with the players.

Also worth a mention the WBA Wembley win. Whilst it’s no FA Cup it’s always a dream to watch your team win at Wembley and lift the cup. Shed a tear that day.

Happy Days,

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace 

Only 15 years old that day but will never forget it, saw grown men crying with happiest, and dark fruit ram, the atmosphere in those days was something you will never see at football nowadays, that Wednesday night was electric, and the away end a year later at Sheffield United was also something special.

It's too late for me to edit my original post but one more, if I may...

Actually listening on the radio against Real Madrid in the European Cup, not Charlie George's hat trick in the home leg, but he scored in the away leg to make it 3-1. I thought it might just be enough to get us through. That was a goosebumps moment.

But, I've been thinking of all the exciting times since I started supporting the Rams in 68 and, honestly, Marriott's winner - for the shear unbridled joy of it - has to be up there.

It seemed to all the world, especially Leeds themselves, that we were out of it and yet we came through. It was a real Ben Stokes moment.

With the Clough & Mackay teams (in blue shorts ?), I kind of expected us to win every game so it wasn't quite the same.

Anyhow.....great question ?

9 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Only 15 years old that day but will never forget it, saw grown men crying with happiest, and dark fruit ram, the atmosphere in those days was something you will never see at football nowadays, that Wednesday night was electric, and the away end a year later at Sheffield United was also something special.

This is pedantic but I think the Rotherham match was a Friday night. 

And the away end at Sheffield Utd was a special and memorable afternoon with Phil Gee and Burridge. 

On 29/09/2019 at 11:49, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm sure it was different when you were there but, purely from that video, the atmosphere sounds crap!

Atmosphere in the BBG was amazing,the Popside was fantastic.

You won’t be able to recreate it now due to changes in safety laws.

BBG could have those typical Derby tumbleweed moments as well,when things aren’t going well.

1 hour ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

One that no one has mentioned is McGovern 1/5/72 v Liverpool.

Cracking Goal and it won us the title 1st time, still get flashbacks with the noise explosion.

While we're remembering goals against Liverpool that raised hairs on your neck, Michael Forsyth's against them in 88 was special.

it was a good goal in itself from a really honest, good player. What made it even better was that Lawrenson and Hanson shut up shop with 25 minutes to go at 1-0 up, wasting time, delaying tactics, passing to each other 20 times, the lot. Their come uppance was a real pleasure. 

7 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

While we're remembering goals against Liverpool that raised hairs on your neck, Michael Forsyth's against them in 88 was special.

it was a good goal in itself from a really honest, good player. What made it even better was that Lawrenson and Hanson shut up shop with 25 minutes to go at 1-0 up, wasting time, delaying tactics, passing to each other 20 times, the lot. Their come uppance was a real pleasure. 

Yes I can remember some sad scouser writing to the Ram moaning about us booing them for passing the ball back to Grobellar saying we should 't boo and respect their "champion" team Yes right

It's not easy to have a top 3 as there are so many moments. For me it's 

3) Leeds away 

2) Southampton play off semi at home 

1) Pearson winner 

The top 2 are mostly because i was at both of those and was a relatively young teenager at the time so it sticks in my mind more.

On 29/09/2019 at 13:25, RamNut said:

"You live in the past, you live the paaast!!"

Not me

i live in the distant past....

1970 watney cup final

So glad you put that up, never seen it before and was absolutely fascinating to hear the panel comments at the end, praising the Rams that were mainly legends my Dad told me about.

Brilliant to hear current players views of the time, not retired ex pros, talking about our team, particularly Dougan who I know was a Wolverhampton legend himself.  

Thanks so much, it was great nostalgia for me.

Archived