Egg Chasing WC

Van der MoodHoover

On 26/10/2019 at 11:26, jimbo jones said:

Ready to jump on the bandwagon for the final ??

I've been thinking all along that I'll feel like a fraud if we get to the final and I watch it, just as I label as plastics those who start supporting football teams when they're riding the crest of a wave. However, I've been invited to the local rugby club to watch it on Saturday morning before heading to Pride Park on the train, and I couldn't possibly turn down such a fantastic Saturday.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've been thinking all along that I'll feel like a fraud if we get to the final and I watch it, just as I label as plastics those who start supporting football teams when they're riding the crest of a wave. However, I've been invited to the local rugby club to watch it on Saturday morning before heading to Pride Park on the train, and I couldn't possibly turn down such a fantastic Saturday.

When it’s your country it’s fine to jump on the bandwagon a bit imo

How the duck has Ben Skeen got the TMO gig for the final? Absolutely staggered by that. Prepare for more crap decisions impacting our chances again this weekend. Grrrrrr....

Garces not a bad call for ref though. Will quickly ping any Saffas lying on the ball as they very much like to at the breakdown. Talking of the breakdown, the Kamikaze twins will need to neutralise du Toit who can jackal and carry, along with de Klerk who will look to snipe. Big game for Ben Youngs too!

As for how the game will go, well I mentioned on here I thought England were a big price at 13/5 to beat the Kiwis and I see no reason to desert them against a team whom most would agree are less of an overall threat. That's not to say the Boks can't win this game and we don't want to get drawn into an arm wrestle with them, but I'm confident it will be our game to dictate as long as we are as disciplined and focused as we have been to date.

With all this in mind, I'll be looking at the handicap betting. England -4 at evens looks an absolute lock to me but I'm tempted by some bigger price options too as I think if we play to our strengths, we can put clear air between us and South Africa. I'll mull it over until we see the team sheets I reckon. Despite being our best player in this competition by some stretch, Ford may again see himself dropped to the bench as Erasmus is certain to attack the 9/10 channel if Ford is picked. For me, it's a risk worth taking but Eddie might switch to Farrell at 10 with Slade coming in alongside Manu in the centres to nullify that threat. Huge call and one I'm glad I don't have to make!  

As for the balance of the side, I'd imagine it'd be as per the NZ game, fitness allowing. May and Farrell were carrying bad dead legs after the fame but both are more or less recovered, or so we're told. There seem to be no other injuries to report, just a few 'bumps and bruises' as Eddie put it!

South Africa will be sweating on the fitness of Cheslin Kolbe though at this point he seems more likely to play than not. Interesting to see also whether Steyn is favoured over WIllie Le Roux who has not been at his best to date. If Kolbe plays we might see a slightly more expansive game from SA which would, in all honesty, please everyone! 

Anyway, enough of my waffling. Enjoy the game chaps and chapettes. Here's hoping the lads deliver on the immense promise shown thus far. I'll be drunk as a lord by lunchtime if so! 

COE

15 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Local rugby club? 

And you an invitee not a regular?? Are you mad?

It'll be bare buttocks and one of those awful games involving 2p pieces, broom handles and pint pots before you know where you are.....

?

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Local rugby club? 

And you an invitee not a regular?? Are you mad?

It'll be bare buttocks and one of those awful games involving 2p pieces, broom handles and pint pots before you know where you are.....

?

The stories I’ve heard of uni rugby team initiation nights are not for this forum.

13 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

How the duck has Ben Skeen got the TMO gig for the final? Absolutely staggered by that. Prepare for more crap decisions impacting our chances again this weekend. Grrrrrr....

wasn't it going to either be him or Marius Jonker?

And where's Jaco for this one? ?

13 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Despite being our best player in this competition by some stretch, Ford may again see himself dropped to the bench as Erasmus is certain to attack the 9/10 channel if Ford is picked.

Ford more than stood up to the Kiwis, including that mighty rip off the All-Black prop so for me he starts.

I don't think Erasmus has the weaponry to launch pacy attacks in the channels - Handre Pollard will be 10 m behind the ruck looking to boot the ball up into the air again. If our forwards play as intelligently as against NZ and deliver Ford quick ball i fancy us to win by a street.

COE indeed - i shall be assuming the position with naught but the dog for company.

On 30/10/2019 at 09:47, Van der MoodHoover said:

Ford more than stood up to the Kiwis, including that mighty rip off the All-Black prop so for me he starts.

I don't think Erasmus has the weaponry to launch pacy attacks in the channels - Handre Pollard will be 10 m behind the ruck looking to boot the ball up into the air again. If our forwards play as intelligently as against NZ and deliver Ford quick ball i fancy us to win by a street.

He did indeed but the Kiwis are a very different side to the Bokke. Their forwards are no shrinking violets for sure but the kiwi game is all about quick ball, moving the ball through hands at pace and making their offloads. They are not a smash it up the middle kind of side whereas the Saffas most definitely are. If you watched the Wales - SA game you'll know what I'm referring to.

As for the inside channels, it's not pace I'm worried about. It's monsters like Etzebeth, De Jager, Kolisi Du Toit, and Vermeulen. They will definitely target Ford as you'd sooner take the ball into contact with him than Farrell or Manu. Outside the inside channels they do have pace too. Kolbe is pretty swift and has the best sidestep in rugby and Mapimpi is pretty rapid. How much they'll see of the ball is up for debate, though with Kolbe in the side I do expect them to go wide more often than they did against Wales.

All of this notwithstanding, I'm really pleased to see Ford in the side. For me he's been our outstanding player thus far and it's a sign of confidence that Eddie has put him in. WIth no further games to play it's a risk worth taking and I'm strangely confident of an England win though still wary of the Saffa's physicality. 

6 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

He did indeed but the Kiwis are a very different side to the Bokke. Their forwards are no shrinking violets for sure but the kiwi game is all about quick ball, moving the ball through hands at pace and making their offloads. They are not a smash it up the middle kind of side whereas the Saffas most definitely are. If you watched the Wales - SA game you'll know what I'm referring to.

As for the inside channels, it's not pace I'm worried about. It's monsters like Etzebeth, De Jager, Kolisi Du Toit, and Vermeulen. They will definitely target Ford as you'd sooner take the ball into contact with him than Farrell or Manu. Outside the inside channels they do have pace too. Kolbe is pretty swift and has the best sidestep in rugby and Mapimpi is pretty rapid. How much they'll see of the ball is up for debate, though with Kolbe in the side I do expect them to go wide more often than they did against Wales.

All of this notwithstanding, I'm really pleased to see Ford in the side. For me he's been our outstanding player thus far and it's a sign of confidence that Eddie has put him in. WIth no further games to play it's a risk worth taking and I'm strangely confident of an England win though still wary of the Saffa's physicality. 

South Africa’s main weapon is their nastiness. I think they will target Farrell and Sinckler and try to get an England red card.

I don’t think they will succeed and that it will be Curry and Underhill who put De Klerk and Pollard under pressure and win us the game.

Now I’ve seen that but if film about how culturally important it could be for a black captain to lift the World Cup for South Africa, I kind of feel bad that we’re going to stop that from happening. 

oh well, on the bright side, even if we loose, it’ll still be quite cool to watch a pretty historical moment. 

Just don’t understand rugby. Referee decides, usually by the flip of a coin, a penalty early in the game and then that’s it, the penalty goes against the same team for the rest of the game. Not even mentioning the forward passes that get missed and the knock ons which aren’t even knocked on. 

Archived