Egg Chasing WC

Van der MoodHoover

59 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Poor display too many basic errors. Next week is going to be tough but they still have a bad game in them.  Okay I’m clutching at straws. 

Not really. When the Irish finally fronted up they gave the Kiwis problems. I don't see this AB team as being as dominant as we've come to expect and this England side won't be far away. One thing's for certain, it'll be a game to savour and it looked like all our boys came through the game unscathed so I'm hopeful if not bullish.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Well they are the tournament favourites but in fairness, we conceded 8 pens in our game and the kiwis have given up 6 in the first half alone. The errors I suppose is valid but with two players back after breaks and the team probably a little undercooked after a fortnight on the sidelines, there's every reason to expect them to improve again next week. A far weaker England team lost by a single point to the Kiwis when they last met and the ABs will be far more wary of us than a very toothless Ireland.

It's the hope that kills you.......

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's the hope that kills you.......

You're unusually glum today mate! We put on a cracking performance, the team is peaking right on time, we're currently able to select our strongest starting 15 and the Kiwis are not the bulletproof team of recent years. Let's not forget that a very ordinary Australian team smashed them only 3 months back running up 46 points in the process. The previous month they were held to a draw at home by South Africa and scraped past a very mediocre Argentina side by a mere 4 points. I'm over 50 pts up on my rugby betting bank and at current prices I'd rather be backing England at 13/5 than the Kiwis at 3/7.

On a final note, the hope is what it's all about my friend. I'm looking forward to next week already and win or lose, as long as we front up and play our game I'll be happy with what's been a wonderful tournament. Grab yourself a beer, bask in the glow of a really strong performance today and get ready to bring your A game next week. It promises to be quite a match! 

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

You're unusually glum today mate! We put on a cracking performance, the team is peaking right on time, we're currently able to select our strongest starting 15 and the Kiwis are not the bulletproof team of recent years. Let's not forget that a very ordinary Australian team smashed them only 3 months back running up 46 points in the process. The previous month they were held to a draw at home by South Africa and scraped past a very mediocre Argentina side by a mere 4 points. I'm over 50 pts up on my rugby betting bank and at current prices I'd rather be backing England at 13/5 than the Kiwis at 3/7.

On a final note, the hope is what it's all about my friend. I'm looking forward to next week already and win or lose, as long as we front up and play our game I'll be happy with what's been a wonderful tournament. Grab yourself a beer, bask in the glow of a really strong performance today and get ready to bring your A game next week. It promises to be quite a match! 

You're right....I have a dark cloud and I don't know why. 

England will be close if they play as well as today.

Think we will need a little bit more from Daly at fb and youngs sniping to win it. But we won't be as far away as Ireland were today I don't think. 

Bet France +6 at 10/11 today but after the event I think they should have won outright. There's been much crowing from the Welsh but I don't really see a side capable of beating South Africa who I think will squeeze the life out of them. Both have a very similar game plan based on robust defence and I'm not expecting to see the ball going wide too much. Dull but effective I guess.

Talking of the Boks, well they certainly squeezed the Brave Blossoms to death today. Ruthless. It's a shame to see Japan exit the tournament but what a run they've had, bringing so much excitement and joy to the home fans in the process. They go out heads held high having won a legion of admirers amongst us rugby nuts. As a team and a country they've put on a great show for the world but it's pretty much as per IRB ranking now with the ABs, England, the Boks and Wales to battle it out for the title. My sense of it would be that the winner will come from whoever goes through the NZ-ENG side of the draw. Both teams look very hard to beat to me and have both strong defence capabilities and massive threats with ball in hand. The Boks may surprise I guess but they seem a tad one-dimensional to me, especially against a team who can match their physicality.

Can't wait for the next round of games!

COE

56 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bizarre refereeing scenes this week as Jaco Peyper gets sidelined after being phot6with Welsh fans imitating the French elbow.

England v new Zealand have got Clive Owens which is great.

Wales v boks have got Jerome garces who was ok last weekend to be fair. 

I don’t get why this guy was in contention anyway.

I don’t get when there’s only two matches, with only 4 nations involved, surely it can’t be that hard to find a ref from a nation that’s no longer in it.

surely if you’re reffing one semi, and your team’s in the other semi, there’s a chance that you might be biased towards the team you’d rather your team face in the final. 

I’m sure integrity and all that make it a small risk but still, could they not find a Irish and Ozzie ref or something, that would have absolutely no vested interest. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I don’t get why this guy was in contention anyway.

I don’t get when there’s only two matches, with only 4 nations involved, surely it can’t be that hard to find a ref from a nation that’s no longer in it.

surely if you’re reffing one semi, and your team’s in the other semi, there’s a chance that you might be biased towards the team you’d rather your team face in the final. 

I’m sure integrity and all that make it a small risk but still, could they not find a Irish and Ozzie ref or something, that would have absolutely no vested interest. 

Don't really think he was buddy. Least not after failing to properly review the Wales 'winning try' against the French. He was poor the entire game to be fair and that would have been enough but his utter idiocy means he won't be seeing any game time for the foreseeable. 

The two standouts from the last round of games are those officiating the semis. Garces has some 'previous' but I thought he was excellent in the ENG - AUS game not allowing any nonsense at all. Coped with some scrummage malarrkey well and was quick to penalise infringements on the floor. Pocock and Hooper are past-masters at breakdown black arts and having the breakdown reffed fairly allowed the Kamikaze twins to more than match them. As for Owens, he's the best in the game and has been for yonks but he does rather like the ABs which is a slight worry. He won't be biased but it's on those 50:50 calls that he's been accused of siding to often with the men in black but he is far from the worst in that regard as for 5 years or so, it appeared everyone was playing to a different rulebook, so in awe of the ABs were many of the officials.

Nigel Owens - the same guy who awarded a try to Aaron Smith a few years back which was clearly short of the line. And openly sung an anti-English song on Welsh telly. Great.

This post may not age particularly well but I've got a good feeling about tomorrow's match. Like @86 Schmokes & a Pancake says, ABs are not quite the force they were (although the Barrett/Mo'ounga experiment is working very well) and we look very dangerous.

Key to it is getting that forward momentum. Curry and Underhill need to be as good at the breakdown as they were last Saturday & the set pieces need to be perfect. If we can secure that, we have plenty of attacking options both running the ball & our kicking game. Daly will need a big game too as ABs will target him with their kicking game.

Archived