Fantasy NFL 2019

Westcumbrianram

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't have anywhere near the same amount of research in the draft. In fact, I drafted some players that I haven't heard of or remember seeing. 

My reasoning:

Rodgers - I drafted him based on the number of people who fancy GB this season. I don't, really, but I know his ability and he's consistent. It was between him and Mayfield - so we'll see on that one. 

Gurley - Gurley will be saved, so won't get the same touches, but he'll definitely be used in clutch situations. I imagine he'll get plenty of TDs even if he doesn't get the same mileage. 

Cohen - He was a first team all pro last season. I'm surprised he went as late as he did. 

Woods - I'm a big fan of Woods, so much so I picked him over Cooks & Kupp - largely because the latter can't stay fit. 

Thomas - I really liked/disliked him last season for the same reason. He's a top player. Worthy of my first pick. 

Kittle - He was arguably the best player I saw last season, really loved his style and he carried a poor side to at least respectable results. A better team around him must improve his chances of a better season. 

Samuel - I really liked the look of him last season, now 23 with a couple seasons under his belt he could be the breakout player in the team. 

Tucker - He was the best/second best K in the NFL FL last season? Baltimore love a field goal. I would've definitely picked Zuerlien but he wasn't available for selection for whatever reason? I'm assuming because I already had too many Rams?

Bears - The best defence last season, plus they look well suited to keep that title. The Rams have improved theirs, but the lack of an experience DT with Donald, makes it easy to put 2-3 men on him at a time. Suh wasn't great, but he was a name that focused attention. 

Dak - I fancy him to have a really good season. 
Davis - Mr. Irrelevant in our draft. I don't know too much about him in all honesty. I just remember seeing his name a couple of times last season - enough for me. 
Latavius Murray - Saints like dual backs, so he seems likely to get a few touches. 
Goodwin - Another player I'd heard the name of so picked on nothing more than that. Post pick, I'm not entirely sure it was the right call. 
DK Metcalf - a lot of people were high on him at the draft. I've picked him on the off chance he becomes a breakout player. Never seen the guy catch a ball.
Burton - see above. Recognised his name, thought he was highly rated. Picked him up. 

In essence, I like my starters, but my subs were picked off the back of very little knowledge. It's seemingly no different to how our scouts work at Derby. Let's hope I get a better strike rate. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

My reasoning:

Rodgers - I drafted him based on the number of people who fancy GB this season. I don't, really, but I know his ability and he's consistent. It was between him and Mayfield - so we'll see on that one. 

You should have listened to your own thoughts. There will always be a Green Bay love in, especially in the media, but they aren’t even close to competing with us and Chicago this season...in my opinion of course.

but I got Mayfield, so I’m glad you didn’t ?

Didn't particularly like the no.2 slot as after my first pick there was a lot of sitting and watching streams of top players being taken off the board!

It was a bonus to see @SaintRam in the no.1 slot though as I knew he'd take Kamara and I'd get Barkley.

By the time I had my 2nd pick most of the top WRs had gone so I settled on nailing down more top RBs, TE & QB before taking my pick of mid-ranking receivers in rounds 6+.

I've took a punt on Belichick keeping Josh Gordon on the straight and narrow, if so he could be a bargain pick up for one of my receiver slots. The other starter is the explosive Calvin Ridley who I expect more targets for this year at the expense of Sanu.

Complete about turn from last year's winning zero RB strategy so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Didn't particularly like the no.2 slot as after my first pick there was a lot of sitting and watching streams of top players being taken off the board!

It was a bonus to see @SaintRam in the no.1 slot though as I knew he'd take Kamara and I'd get Barkley.

By the time I had my 2nd pick most of the top WRs had gone so I settled on nailing down more top RBs, TE & QB before taking my pick of mid-ranking receivers in rounds 6+.

I've took a punt on Belichick keeping Josh Gordon on the straight and narrow, if so he could be a bargain pick up for one of my receiver slots. The other starter is the explosive Calvin Ridley who I expect more targets for this year at the expense of Sanu.

Complete about turn from last year's winning zero RB strategy so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

That was the first time I've been first pick in a draft and I think on balance I definitely prefer being in the middle of the pack, and having a smaller number of players leaving the board between my picks.

A lot changes in 22 picks ? 

Although I'm pleased to have Kamara, and if I'd had a middle pick I probs would have overvalued Thomas.

4 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That was the first time I've been first pick in a draft and I think on balance I definitely prefer being in the middle of the pack, and having a smaller number of players leaving the board between my picks.

A lot changes in 22 picks ? 

Although I'm pleased to have Kamara, and if I'd had a middle pick I probs would have overvalued Thomas.

It was better being 2 than 1, at least I got to check what your team requirements were when I had the first pick in our 2-1-1-2 runs.

41 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Anyone had the “who won your draft” email yet? I don’t seem to have it and I’m sure it came virtually straight away in my other leagues.

No... though when I looked on the full site for draft recap it said still generating, so that's probably why. Not that it means much as we found out with their predictions last year... was it @David predicted as 1st ???

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

No... though when I looked on the full site for draft recap it said still generating, so that's probably why. Not that it means much as we found out with their predictions last year... was it @David predicted as 1st ???

Hah yeah I just like to see if I agree with their assessment.

5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Hah yeah I just like to see if I agree with their assessment.

It's based on where the players were in the default NFL.com ranks. 

So if anyone was just filtering that list by "rank" and taking the player at the top of the list every time, they'll be #1 - essentially. If you kept moving down off the top ranked player to get someone you preferred, your draft rating will likely be lower.

10 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It was looking ahead to this season I believe

I've been trying to formulate trades; but so many moves outside of the top guys just seem like coin-flips. Trading for the sake of trading. Although things would probably be different if Melvin Gordon wasn't in the situation he's in - I'd be able to shop a decent RB out in that case.

I'll just see how the first few weeks go, and risk losing any potential value my rookies have - hopefully they have good starts to the season.

Archived