Hold Your Nerve

Nuwtfly

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Cool As Custard, good post. My only suggestion would be to put Bielik in midfield and move Evans to CB. Bielik has a bit more thrust than Evans, who has looked impressive whenever he's played at the back. The other alternative would be to start Davies in the middle of the back three, although I would worry about a lack of pace on the left hand side with Clarke next to him.

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

We always get this preaching to fans after defeats like this 

It ain’t the fans fault though. 

Where did I say it was the fans fault?

I'm not preaching. I'm trying to push back against the really tiresome mass-hysteria that you are often part of. 

29 minutes ago, Curtains said:

We don’t need to hold our nerve .

We have no say as fans 

We just pay to watch the team end of. 

From a forum perspective, I’d say yes, we do need to hold our nerve. 

Luckily, I’ve been away on holiday since a few hours after the duckst game, but I’ve seen enough to know some on here are feeling somewhat downbeat... to put it mildly!  

14 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

I’m not saying we are going to do the same this year but the parallels are remarkable.

You're not wrong. First 6 games included a win, two draws and three losses. May I also mention one of those defeats was a 3-0 trouncing away to wolves. Sound familiar? 

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

From a forum perspective, I’d say yes, we do need to hold our nerve. 

Luckily, I’ve been away on holiday since a few hours after the duckst game, but I’ve seen enough to know some on here are feeling somewhat downbeat... to put it mildly!  

You don’t mind if the players try. Lack of application and effort first half  at Brentford IMO 

56 minutes ago, Squid said:

Whats the problem here? is it the fact Roos looks like he's holding in a sneeze?

I think he may be subtly pointing out that Lowe is playing out of position, Roos isn't a long term No 1, Buchanan looks to be a little short of first XI standard at the moment, and Dowell is crap...

Maybe...

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I think he may be subtly pointing out that Lowe is playing out of position, Roos isn't a long term No 1, Buchanan looks to be a little short of first XI standard at the moment, and Dowell is crap...

Maybe...

You reckon eh?

I dunno mate seems a bit vague to me....

16 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

You expect this to happen after 6 games? Come on. Let's get a hold of ourselves here. We have to back this team.

What I would expect is to see some evidence of improvement, what concerns me is it seems like we're going in the opposite direction. We definitely shouldn't be hitting the panic button yet, but we need to actually put up some semblance of a fight in the games. The last two, we haven't had a shot on target. 

2 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

I don't know how you can draw that conclusion from just one picture when, by it's very nature, a photograph is a very short snapshot. if you can run a video clip showing,  what you consider to be, bad body language over a longer period of time then you might have a case. also, in this photo, is his body language any worse than the other players apart from Roos who looks suitably furious after conceding a goal I assume?

Finally, whilst not performing well at the moment, to suggest Dowell's attitude (note: attitude, not performance as body language in no way reflects ability) is the main problem feels a bit harsh to me.

28 minutes ago, Andicis said:

What I would expect is to see some evidence of improvement, what concerns me is it seems like we're going in the opposite direction. We definitely shouldn't be hitting the panic button yet, but we need to actually put up some semblance of a fight in the games. The last two, we haven't had a shot on target. 

I reckon that's probably a bit of an exaggeration, especially if you take the first four games in to account. We didn't look like we were going in the opposite direction against Huddersfield, or Swansea, or West Brom. We looked like we were improving and playing some nice stuff.

The last two games have been really poor, for differing reasons. I'm not arguing that at all. The Brentford game especially. But what I'm saying is that these types of games, from Huddersfield to West Brom to Brentford, are indicative of a team going through a transition. Of a team changing something, or trying to.

Before the season started, everybody fully expected this. Some even welcomed it. Yet some are reacting like this has come as a total shock. I even saw one poster on here suggest we are "relegation fodder." This sort of stuff is just so ridiculous. It's the kind of stuff you laugh at when other club's fans do it. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I reckon that's probably a bit of an exaggeration, especially if you take the first four games in to account. We didn't look like we were going in the opposite direction against Huddersfield, or Swansea, or West Brom. We looked like we were improving and playing some nice stuff.

The last two games have been really poor, for differing reasons. I'm not arguing that at all. The Brentford game especially. But what I'm saying is that these types of games, from Huddersfield to West Brom to Brentford, are indicative of a team going through a transition. Of a team changing something, or trying to.

Before the season started, everybody fully expected this. Some even welcomed it. Yet some are reacting like this has come as a total shock. I even saw one poster on here suggest we are "relegation fodder." This sort of stuff is just so ridiculous. It's the kind of stuff you laugh at when other club's fans do it. 

The result against Swansea looks handy now, considering the context of it. Should have won that one as well. I think the shock is to the extent that we are poor. I wasn't expecting us to be ripping up trees immediately, but Brentford was unacceptably poor, in the first half anyway. I do think though after the international break with some of our better players fit we have to look better.

With Bogle, Holmes, Marriott and Bielik being properly fit is when we see a lot closer to the best side we can put out this season.

48 minutes ago, Davide said:

What is a transition season? Is that when the manager and a load of players change because if so that’s pretty much every season.

We've been in transition for as long as I can care to remember!

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

You don’t mind if the players try. Lack of application and effort first half  at Brentford IMO 

I presume you meant “players don’t try”?

Then yes, I’d mind, but I didn’t witness it. Nor have I got around to seeing any “highlights” as yet.  Nor for the fore*t game either.

Regardless of any lack of endeavour in the first half at Brentford (which I’m happy to accept as fact) I’m reasonably happy with the players attitude and commitment thus far, from what I have seen. My concerns are more regarding quality. I’ve no idea whether that relates to the skills of the players, the skills of the training staff, the tactics, the formations, or of course a combination of two or more of them. That’s for the “experts” to muse over.

I’d agree it hasn’t been the best of starts, but since the fixtures came out, and the subsequent cries of “That’s a very difficult  first few fixtures”,  I don’t think we... the fans... should be panicking just yet. 

In fact, if we don’t hold our nerve just now, I suspect that will do the team more harm than good!

I could already feel the tension in the stands at the last home game, even to the point where the odd ripple of booing was evident merely because the ball went backwards to ensure we kept possession. I hear at least one player (Malone?) has already felt the need to wag a finger at the fans during a game. That ain’t good at any stage of the season, let alone this early. 

Whether it should or it shouldn’t, the reaction of the fans DOES affect the players, so yes, a calm head all around is needed, if we are to start heading up the table. 

Now is not the time for anyone to be losing their nerve... and that most certainly includes the fans. 

3 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

That body language from Dowell to me screams "despondent" - Slumped shoulders, upset look on his face, staring off into the distance - I want mty players to care enough that they're upset after a goal is conceded so not sure what you're reading into it?

My main worry is that we're not playing any proper defensive cover - So all three of our midfielders are trying to cover everywhere - We used to be able to create plenty of chances with a midfield two of Bryson and Hendrick and neither of them were proper creative players

I hate to point the finger but I still think the problem is trying to fit Huddlestone into a formation he doesn't really fit - Stick a proper DM in there to provide cover for the defence and give the other midfielders a little more license to break forward and not worry quite so much about getting back and we're in a better place - I think we're asking Dowell to do way more tracking back than he should be and it's cramping his game - Love Huddlestone to bits but at the moment he's not defending well but also not creating enough going forward either

3 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

This picture illustrates PCs main problem

543139769_2019-09-0209_49_04-TooearlyforalarmbellsbutconcernforDerbyCountyastheyarehandedafoo.thumb.png.5daa7f4812268713a185c8235078bc71.png

And what would that be?  All those fans behind the goal looking down at the floor?  Head in hands?  Silent?  Dejected?

Makes you wonder why they bothered to turn up!

Is it so fair to assess the situation from one single, solitary image?  I think not. 

Archived