Rangers Fans

David

UEFA is hitting them with 2 charges for sectarian singing, the first resulted in them having to close a section of Ibrox off for their next game. 

Now they have declined their ticket allocation for their away game following further chants which brought the second charge.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, David said:

UEFA is hitting them with 2 charges for sectarian singing, the first resulted in them having to close a section of Ibrox off for their next game. 

Now they have declined their ticket allocation for their away game following further chants which brought the second charge.

Good strong move by UEFA, and credit to the club who have reacted positively to it. Now over to the fans to do their bit. 

Lets see which songs get belted out at the weekend. Thats the real acid test for club and fans.  

Shame the Football authorities in Scotland dont seem willing to take the same action. Spineless. 

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Shame the Football authorities in Scotland dont seem willing to take the same action. Spineless. 

Don’t want to upset Rangers or Celtic. Gone on far too long now at both clubs and should have been stopped years ago 

16 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Yet Legia Warsaw taunted the Rangers fans with a large picture of the pope in the game last night.

I haven't seen any condemnation as of yet?

But I agree the authorities do need to stamp down on this

Give it time, UEFA wouldn’t be on it that quickly and they will be charged for this at least

59 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Yet Legia Warsaw taunted the Rangers fans with a large picture of the pope in the game last night.

Legia will definitely be fined for that, I believe it's against the rules of FIFA to display any religious imagery on kits and in grounds.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

If they let a picture of the pope taunt them i think they should be looking within themselves.

4 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

If they let a picture of the pope taunt them i think they should be looking within themselves.

It is not about the Rangers fans. It is about the principal of punishing one set of fans for one thing and not another.

As @David said, maybe too early for any punishment but would be sad if nothing is done.

2 hours ago, Shang said:

Legia will definitely be fined for that, I believe it's against the rules of FIFA to display any religious imagery on kits and in grounds.

Is it religious imagery? It’s only a picture of a bloke. If I brought a big picture of rod hull to a match, would we get done. 

4 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

That's quite funny actually.  It's just a picture of a man after all and someone who is something of a national hero in Poland.  Did they chant anything offensive along with it ? 

I don't think anybody should have a go at Rangers fans if they held up a portrait of the Queen.  Even at Celtic Park

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

That's quite funny actually.  It's just a picture of a man after all and someone who is something of a national hero in Poland.  Did they chant anything offensive along with it ? 

I don't think anybody should have a go at Rangers fans if they held up a portrait of the Queen.  Even at Celtic Park

It doesn't matter if someone finds it funny or not. The rules are the rules. UEFA: "the use of gestures, words, objects or any other means to transmit any message that is not fit for a sports event, particularly messages that are of a political, ideological, religious, offensive or provocative nature".

I'm no expert but I think a flag of the pope's face falls under the category of religious objects.

9 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Imagine if we took a giant poster of Jimmy Saville to Leeds.

Leeds fans taking a giant flag of Jimmy Saville around to away grounds would be the better analogy?

But anyway, yes, the SFA should've stopped this sort of thing years ago but won't or can't.

I remember at Ibrox before KO when we were their they played their "Rangers is for anyone and everyone" video (which I think is genuinely commendable in intentions) - however ever single person leaves a pause where clearly they're thinking "even them"

42 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It doesn't matter if someone finds it funny or not. The rules are the rules. UEFA: "the use of gestures, words, objects or any other means to transmit any message that is not fit for a sports event, particularly messages that are of a political, ideological, religious, offensive or provocative nature".

I'm no expert but I think a flag of the pope's face falls under the category of religious objects.

The pope would certainly fall under the religious category all right. And if UEFA do have that rule, then they had better be seen to act on it, funny or not, as you say.

It is quite depressing though that the mere image of the Pope (who was after all a peaceful man, whatever you think of Catholicism or religions in general) is considered too alarming and provocative for other people to bear.

Being consistent UEFA better ban the singing of 'God Save the Queen' too then.  God is, after all,  a somewhat religious figure and the Queen is the head of her very own church. 

Archived