Rangers Fans

Day

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/08/2019 at 00:10, RadioactiveWaste said:

In preparation for the old firm game on Sunday, Celtic and rangers fans have decided to have a practice in Govan this evening with riot police deployed.

FFS Glasgow has its ugly faces and glad I don't live southside.

Its embarrassing. Republican march met with loyalist protest. Im fed up trying to make sense of the idiots. 

I'm not a fan of religion in the slightest, but this seems excessive. I'm assuming the song was 'Duck the Pope and the IRA' and not something genuinely offensive, like Celtic fans singing about Lee Rigby. England fans are encouraged to sing about the Queen and God before matches.

That flag of the Pope was outstanding poohousery by the way.

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm not a fan of religion in the slightest, but this seems excessive. I'm assuming the song was 'Duck the Pope and the IRA' and not something genuinely offensive, like Celtic fans singing about Lee Rigby. England fans are encouraged to sing about the Queen and God before matches.

I think the problem is that they're travelling to strongly catholic countries and singing "Duck the Pope". Most Eastern European countries, including Poland, are something like 90%+ Roman Catholic; and are still very strict, dedicated followers of the religion. "Duck the Pope" is, to them, genuinely offensive.

In the UK it's not seen as a big deal really, because even a large proportion of the "religious" (primarily Christians) are not particularly strict. If you're going to be in competitions that send you to different cultures and societies you have to be mindful of the varying definitions of what is offensive.

6 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Please dont get trapped in the whataboutery that goes hand in hand with those 2 clubs. 

Thats been part of the problem, the fans wont address their own clubs problems because theres always finger pointing at the other side to be done. 

To be fair, the songbook wasnt as bad yesterday as it usually is. Maybe the message is getting through, or maybe its the effect of the reduced away fans allocation. 

The away element of both clubs needs addressing, but I guess you could say that about many clubs. 

Archived