Social Media Abuse

Bubbles

15 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

An easier situation would be an IP ban. Sure people would get around it but they’d have to work a heck of a lot harder to do so.

No, that would be incredibly easy to bypass. Just log into a VPN, new account, away you go. It's too easy.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Re: the comment about Bennett, I don’t agree with it and will never do something like that myself, but Bennett can block that guy, report the tweet for harassment to twitter and move on, easy as that . Twitter don’t have these options just for fun.

He still has to see it to do that though doesn't he.

This issue is about so much more than the already highlighted comment to Bennett, it's the tip of a very large iceberg.

Some players, and it's not just ours, seem to have to continually put up with abuse, there's nothing that makes that ok and it's daft to think that it won't affect them.

If it comes from opposing fans it might be easy enough to brush off, but when it comes from your own? I don't think it's that easy, these are the people you're relying on for support, this is so far from support they might as well be rivals!

14 minutes ago, David said:

I could create an email address using a VPN, sign up for a Twitter account and tweet any of our players racial abuse in under 5 minutes. Easy, really easy. Don’t forget we have fans taking regular flights to watch games online.

Adding a phone number to the process makes things more difficult, yes I could keep picking up PAYG sims, giving false information but as the accounts keep getting banned I would soon get bored and give up. 

I’m sure they can run a quick check to make sure the number is registered to a legitimate network in the country which would prevent the use of temporary number generators.

Would they really go to that effort to go through a VPN? It’s easy but in this case I highly doubt Adam would go through a VPN just to send Bennett abuse. It’s not as if he’s hiding behind a football avitar. I don’t agree with his comment but it isn’t enough to warrant a ban. If Bennett felt it was bad in his personal view then he could report his tweet and let twitter deal with it from there.  If it was racial abuse then that would be a different issue. 

As for phone number verification, that wouldn’t really change much because that’s the current system in place. You need to verify your phone number when creating a new email account(for the purpose of getting it ready for when they want to create another twitter account) like through google or Outlook, which these trolls(not Adam but those like with Pogba racial abuse case) are already doing

10 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

He still has to see it to do that though doesn't he.

This issue is about so much more than the already highlighted comment to Bennett, it's the tip of a very large iceberg.

Some players, and it's not just ours, seem to have to continually put up with abuse, there's nothing that makes that ok and it's daft to think that it won't affect them.

If it comes from opposing fans it might be easy enough to brush off, but when it comes from your own? I don't think it's that easy, these are the people you're relying on for support, this is so far from support they might as well be rivals!

I’m not saying I disagree but what else can Bennett do? In twitter’s eyes(which is the most important here with this situation ), the tweet wouldn’t be enough to warrant a warning or even a ban. Outside of completely eradicating freedom of speech there’s nothing you can do. Either Bennett lets the comment get to him or he doesn’t. Unfortunately there’s no other way here.

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No, that would be incredibly easy to bypass. Just log into a VPN, new account, away you go. It's too easy.

There’s nothing else we can do though? The phone number suggestion is already in place when creating new emails and it doesn’t deter people. All we can do is condemn these comments, it’s a difficult line here because in twitter’s eyes Adam’s comment wouldn’t be enough to warrant a warning or ban. It’s not a Pogba/Rashford racial abuse situation 

We are all different. Some may be able to turn all the negative and use it to their advantage, but that isn't everyone. And the problem with Twitter is it is open to all, that one comment can quickly become hundreds. You wouldn't get that in the street so why should you online? 

You can't complain about players not clapping fans if you turn a blind eye to the abuse. I genuinely think society is dropping down a toxic cesspit. It is all take, thinking you can do what you want but expect to be treated like royalty. 

I don't care what your opinion is of Bennett as a footballer in this situation but as our player who always gives his all, he deserves the support of his club and fans. Surely that is a bare minimum?

Just now, Sexydadbod said:

There’s nothing else we can do though? The phone number suggestion is already in place when creating new emails and it doesn’t deter people. All we can do is condemn these comments, it’s a difficult line here because in twitter’s eyes Adam’s comment wouldn’t be enough to warrant a warning or ban. It’s not a Pogba/Rashford racial abuse situation 

Don't make it a suggestion. Make it a necessity. If you remove the cloak of anonymity the people have, it'll help stop some (not all) of the abuse players are getting. 

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Too many fans, not enough supporters at the moment

Serious question, so if you have a negative opinion about a player you’re a fan not a supporter? (I’m talking direct opinions to players on social media etc, I’m talking about voicing them to friends in the pub, posts on forums or venting displeasure at the game)

9 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Serious question, so if you have a negative opinion about a player you’re a fan not a supporter? (I’m talking direct opinions to players on social media etc, I’m talking about voicing them to friends in the pub, posts on forums or venting displeasure at the game)

I think it's more in-line with a fanatic to abuse a player, than it is a supporter. I think that's the sort of point being made. Not sure it really works with the more modern expanded meaning of "fan".

Holding negative opinions isn't the problem, nor is sharing them privately (or in public like here, but not specifically at the player). People who do either of those things are no less a supporter/fan than anyone else.

Whoever says that 'Words will never hurt me' has clearly never been on the receiving end of a hate campaign.

Like most men approaching 70, I have been hurt by words which leave a mental scar and been injured in my time.

Both hurt but physical injuries heal sooner.

I bet Francis Lee was hurt more by Man City 'fans' chanting 'City reject!' than his scrap(s) with Norman Hunter for instance.

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Serious answer - you can say what you like in the pub or concourse! What difference does it make? 

I was never talking about opinions.

Saying “I’m don’t think Bennett is good enough because of his goal scoring record as a forward” is an opinion. I don’t agree with it as I think it’s irrelevant because he’s a squad player, but it’s a valid opinion and perfectly fine.

Directly calling a player a fraud, tagging them in it so they can see is not a fare sharing of an opinion. You’re going out of your way to let one of your own players know you think they’re terrible. I just don’t understand why you’d go out of your way to make a player’s job more difficult. What do these fans expect him to do? Announce his retirement?

We should do everything to rally together and make the players feel as confident as possible at the games and when we interact with them. Discussing their merits as players is a different matter.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Exactly this! 

Footballers shouldn’t be on social media because ‘Adam Fisher’ has had a few shandies and is in tears cos we’ve lost a football match? 

I think on on social media you should only say to someone what you’d say to their face and if Adam would say that to Masons face then he’s just a rude imbecile that this club don’t need. 

Keyboard warriors all of them, who are unashamedly spouting off where in reality face to face would ask for the said personalities autograph.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the players and how they feel, they are well drilled by the club in dealing with such ignorance.

Plus I think the wages these boys are on the ‘Adam Fishers?!?’ of this world could never truly realise and ergo the players etc can look at their bank balance and realise these individuals are purely and simply jealous. 

I hate the "it's a free country/I've paid my money" baalocks that people say to excuse themselves behaving like bankers. 

Is that the world you really want? Where people can say and do what they like? A real 'free country'? 

It's funny. Nobody likes a bully but people only ever say stuff like that when they feel safe. You wouldn't call Pogba a n****er if he was stood on your toes, would you? All 6ft 4 of him or whatever he is. 

A free country and free speech applies to Pogba being able to come here and earn and live the same life as any white born Brit. It doesn't apply to you being a Bamford. 

Social media is sooo dangerous! The mental health problems and giving people anonymity and empowering them. 

It's something that we have all ran away with before we had any rules. It's like letting people drive on a road with no rules, lanes, lights. 

You just can't trust people to be considerate. Not the majority. 

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I hate the "it's a free country/I've paid my money" baalocks that people say to excuse themselves behaving like bankers. 

Is that the world you really want? Where people can say and do what they like? A real 'free country'? 

It's funny. Nobody likes a bully but people only ever say stuff like that when they feel safe. You wouldn't call Pogba a n****er if he was stood on your toes, would you? All 6ft 4 of him or whatever he is. 

A free country and free speech applies to Pogba being able to come here and earn and live the same life as any white born Brit. It doesn't apply to you being a Bamford. 

Social media is sooo dangerous! The mental health problems and giving people anonymity and empowering them. 

It's something that we have all ran away with before we had any rules. It's like letting people drive on a road with no rules, lanes, lights. 

You just can't trust people to be considerate. Not the majority. 

What’s the alternative though? You have idiots in all parts of society, not just on social media. It shouldn’t be this way but the reality is that sometimes you have to suck it up, especially with twitter and to unfortunately accept that it’s the consequence of being in the public limelight on social media. I’m not sure having phone numbers involved etc is the solution either, it’s not like Adam is hiding behind a footballer avatar and creating multiple accounts to send abuse to players. We all want a world where everyone can be nice to one another but that reality is unrealistic. It’s all good people saying to ban people who send abuse to players but what would twitter ban people like Adam for? Harassment? In a world that Donald Trump is free to express his racist views on there that’s very unrealistic 

Archived