Social Media Abuse

Bubbles

I know it’s not the same but consider me, a secondary school teacher. If I’ve had a bad day, say a couple of my lessons didn’t go to plan or a class were unusually rowdy. The very last thing I’d need/want to hear is a phone call from a parent over exaggerating how bad I am as a teacher. 

What I would need, to bounce back the next day, is to focus on what has gone well and to think about what it was that caused those lessons to not go to plan. 

I don’t need an idiot tweeting me to tell me I’m rubbish and my school should sack me. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

People saying why are they on there, well why shouldn't they be?

Should people not be on something because some other people can't behave like decent human beings?

What should be happening is the people who can do nothing but abuse others should be gone, and the good ones should remain.

But that would rely on someone at these social media companies actually giving a stuff about the situation that they've clearly let get ridiculously out of control.

Exactly this! 

Footballers shouldn’t be on social media because ‘Adam Fisher’ has had a few shandies and is in tears cos we’ve lost a football match? 

I think on on social media you should only say to someone what you’d say to their face and if Adam would say that to Masons face then he’s just a rude imbecile that this club don’t need. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

Maybe the calls for ID checks on these large sites isn’t a bad idea.

That sounds fine so long as we trust these companies to handle our data properly and not hand it over to the government at any drop of a hat.

Look at Hong Kong right now.

What if the HK/Chinese government started asking for passport data of people supporting the protests?

No... the better answer is to set and enforce proper standards of behavior - and disable accounts when those standards are breached.

Just now, David said:

Footballer gets abused in the supermarket, well no-one is forcing these players to do their own shopping, they could get someone else to pick it up or order online.....how far do you go down this path where we strip footballers lives back?

What happened to the support your team mentality, that’s the question you should be asking and why is it some fans are incapable of criticising a performance without abuse?

I thought we all wanted to see this club promoted, are these fans that empty between the ears to believe tagging them and telling them to basically F off will help trigger a response on the pitch? 

This isn’t unique to Derby, it’s football over and the toxic hole that Twitter has become, the news highlighting Pogba racial abuse triggers more the following week to Rashford. 

Maybe the calls for ID checks on these large sites isn’t a bad idea.

I’m going to address your last point first. ID checks is an absolutely stupid idea stated by Maguire, what happened to privacy or if twitter gets hacked like it done many times before and other countries set you up for crimes you didn’t commit by hijacking your identity and use as blackmail(as has been the case much more in recent years)? Bye bye to your privacy and hello to a big brother state

Comparing supermarkets to social media is way off the mark. Supermarkets are necessities to survive I.e for food, social media is a luxury, no-one forces them to be on there.  I bet none of these footballers get abuse face to face and if they did, at least they could talk about it in a grown up manner with the other person and say, you know what you’re right, I haven’t been good recently but I will try my hardest on the training ground to turn my form around . There conversation over and leave it as that.

I don’t see a problem calling a player bad , I only see it as a problem if it turns physical or threats to their families. Of course you are right in saying we want our club to be promoted but surely this would make Bennett want to prove these guys wrong and try even harder?  Every person on this earth under the spotlight get abuse, it’s not unique to football. I re-call Ronaldo using the term- “your love makes me strong, your hate makes me unstoppable”- I think that’s the mentality every single one of us should have in every aspect of life. If someone puts you down, you work harder to prove them wrong. By getting upset you’re letting these people  win. What better way to shut these guys up would be for Bennett to score a hat trick on Saturday?

Twitter has seemed to get a lot worse in the past 6 months because they changed the way it works. Before they just used to show you tweets from people you followed. Now they also show you tweets on topics you like that are "high engagement".  Guess which ones are the high engagement ones?

The abusive, antagonistic, outrageous ones.

Which in turn drives a culture of more outrageous, abusive behaviour.

Unless they get a grip, the existing platforms will die.  There is certainly a gap in the market for a site for more respectful discourse.

42 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I don’t condone social media abuse but no-one is forcing these players to be on there or holding a gun to their head. They could easily delete it if they wanted to if gets to them that much. What happened to the sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me mentality?

So, assuming you have children and one comes home verbally abused and very upset. You say man up?

11 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think that sort of attitude contributed, along with other attitudes, towards the current situation whereby men have shocking mental health. 

Absolutely nonsense I’m afraid . Calling a player bad isn’t suddenly going to trigger mental health issues , many mental health issues are due to chemical imbalances in the brain- genetic issues and studies have shown they can be triggered due to all hormones (Gmos) pumped into food, making these underlying imbalances more apparent.

Saying a bad comment will trigger mental health issues mocks real issues. If you have seen in mental health thread I’ve struggled with mental health myself. I do think this society exaggerates mental health issues subliminally saying that just because you’re down, it means you’re mentally ill, it doesn’t work like that. The best solution for people who aren’t “mentally ill” is to prove these people wrong , rather than letting it get to you, say to yourself I’m going to prove these idiots wrong. Easier said than done but that’s the mentality footballers should have

2 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

So, assuming you have children and one comes home verbally abused and very upset. You say man up?

No I don’t, but if I did I’d say what was the reason for the abuse and go from there, I’d say you’re letting this idiot win by letting it get to you, what better way to annoy the bully than to show you don’t care about them or their pointless lives. Bullies thrive upon vulnerability, by showing it doesn’t get to you makes them move on and do it less as it shows you won’t let them win

2 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

No I don’t, but if I did I’d say what was the reason for the abuse and go from there, I’d say you’re letting this idiot win by letting it get to you, what better way to annoy the bully than to show you don’t care about them or their pointless lives. Bullies thrive upon vulnerability, by showing it doesn’t get to you makes them move on and do it less as it shows you won’t let them win

Although I agree with your sentiment, not ALL people are you and some get affected by what is said and actions of others.

People feel too safe on Twitter so they feel they can say anything they want without any consequences.

I always wonder what people hope to achieve by abusing people on Twitter. They're just poisonous to the club, it's an unfortunate symptom of modern day football. The players social medias have so much potential to help connect with the fans, yet the ones abusing them ruin that, because they will just stop bothering. 

There is no two ways about it, if you abuse players on Twitter (or other social medias), you're a moron. 

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

Sorry, but what you have written has demonstrated what the problem is - if you think it is in any way the players' responsibility to put up with this abuse and that it is only a major issues if 'physical or threat of harm' you are totally misunderstanding the issue. This "man up" type attitude is at the route of a lot of people's mental health problems and in posting comments like this you are contributing to its propagation.

Sorry but you are creating an issue where there isn’t one. As explained previously, simply calling a player bad isn’t going to suddenly trigger mental health issues. They build up over time, mainly because of chemical imbalances in the brain and the hormones pumped into things like food and water(gmos). What solution do you have then? People will always have opinions, this situation isn’t unique to Derby or just football. We may disagree with their opinions(I disagree with the comments about Bennett) but that’s part of a free society with freedom of speech. There are options for Bennett if it gets to him too much I.e block them, privatise his account or to deactivate his account

People get abuse in all walks of life.  Do you let them win by letting it get to you? We’ve all been criticised by employers, I liken football fans to employers because football clubs are nothing without their fans, comments like “improve your passing” to Malone is constructive criticism, not abuse. People need to realise the difference. 

14 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I’m going to address your last point first. ID checks is an absolutely stupid idea stated by Maguire, what happened to privacy or if twitter gets hacked like it done many times before and other countries set you up for crimes you didn’t commit by hijacking your identity and use as blackmail(as has been the case much more in recent years)? Bye bye to your privacy and hello to a big brother state

Not a stupid idea at all, but would require more secure system put in place before the introduction. 

Required ID could be down to just a registered phone number, confirm your registration via text message with a regular check. Doesn’t have to be a passport, birth certificate etc.

Remember, you have a choice, you don’t have to be on social media do you? As you went on to say, it’s a “luxury” right? Nobody is forcing a gun to your head to use social media.

These sites are far too large now for human moderation, bots and algorithms can only do so much and still require humans to review. 

Something needs to change. 

12 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Absolutely nonsense I’m afraid . Calling a player bad isn’t suddenly going to trigger mental health issues , many mental health issues are due to chemical imbalances in the brain- genetic issues and studies have shown they can be triggered due to all hormones (Gmos) pumped into food, making these underlying imbalances more apparent.

Saying a bad comment will trigger mental health issues mocks real issues. If you have seen in mental health thread I’ve struggled with mental health myself. I do think this society exaggerates mental health issues subliminally saying that just because you’re down, it means you’re mentally ill, it doesn’t work like that. The best solution for people who aren’t “mentally ill” is to prove these people wrong , rather than letting it get to you, say to yourself I’m going to prove these idiots wrong. Easier said than done but that’s the mentality footballers should have

They're not just calling players 'bad' though are they.

That may be your experience, but people aren't a 'one size fits all', everyone has a different experience. I'm surprised you're so quick to dismiss that.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Not a stupid idea at all, but would require more secure system put in place before the introduction. 

Required ID could be down to just a registered phone number, confirm your registration via text message with a regular check. Doesn’t have to be a passport, birth certificate etc.

Remember, you have a choice, you don’t have to be on social media do you? As you went on to say, it’s a “luxury” right? Nobody is forcing a gun to your head to use social media.

These sites are far too large now for human moderation, bots and algorithms can only do so much and still require humans to review. 

Something needs to change. 

Ive always felt the personal information idea like passport or driving licences are stupid( I’ve always felt it leads to a big brother state) , as explained above with the situation in Hong Kong, people are ducked should a situation arise in the West. China and Russia seem to be hacking everything left right and centre, I dread to think what they could do with that information . A phone verification might be better as you suggested, but don’t people still need to register their email addresses anyway and to create a new email address you need to link your phone number?

An easier situation would be an IP ban. Sure people would get around it but they’d have to work a heck of a lot harder to do so.

3 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

They're not just calling players 'bad' though are they.

That may be your experience, but people aren't a 'one size fits all', everyone has a different experience. I'm surprised you're so quick to dismiss that.

Re: the comment about Bennett, I don’t agree with it and will never do something like that myself, but Bennett can block that guy, report the tweet for harassment to twitter and move on, easy as that . Twitter don’t have these options just for fun.

6 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Ive always felt the personal information idea like passport or driving licences are stupid( I’ve always felt it leads to a big brother state) , as explained above with the situation in Hong Kong, people are ducked should a situation arise in the West. China and Russia seem to be hacking everything left right and centre, I dread to think what they could do with that information . A phone verification might be better as you suggested, but don’t people still need to register their email addresses anyway and to create a new email address you need to link your phone number?

An easier situation would be an IP ban. Sure people would get around it but they’d have to work a heck of a lot harder to do so.

I could create an email address using a VPN, sign up for a Twitter account and tweet any of our players racial abuse in under 5 minutes. Easy, really easy. Don’t forget we have fans taking regular flights to watch games online.

Adding a phone number to the process makes things more difficult, yes I could keep picking up PAYG sims, giving false information but as the accounts keep getting banned I would soon get bored and give up. 

I’m sure they can run a quick check to make sure the number is registered to a legitimate network in the country which would prevent the use of temporary number generators.

Archived