Social Media Abuse

Bubbles

So first of all, I know about all the freedom of speech yabba jabba, but still. Some of the stuff I see on social media nowadays is uncalled for, and disgusting. 

I'm not going to give examples because I don't feel like these people deserve any sort of publicity, but seriously?! tweeting AT players? so they see how disrespectful you've been? Ridiculous.

You have every right to say someone didn't perform well, or you feel someone doesn't fit in the team very well, but whats taking it too far is directly saying to the player "you're sh**" , "you're stealing a living" etc etc.

I wish people would think before they tweet, some of the abuse you see directed at players nowadays is awful (Mason Bennett yesterday, for example), we're of course not the only team who have fans that do it, but it absolutely does my head in when one player has a bad game and next thing you know their the next Colonel Gadaffi and everyone hates them. ridiculous. 

If we want our players to perform, if we want them to put a shift in, how about backing them, supporting them, instead of tweeting at them "jeff off out our club, ur s***" or whatever, when they put on a tweet after the match motivate them, they're not going to build confidence with folk putting them down.

I know footballs frustrating, players can be frustrating, but people need to understand that giving abuse to a player isn't going to boost their confidence, and with Mental Health awareness becoming more of a thing in football, please just think before you tweet.

To all you folk who aren't one of these people, sound job.

Uppa rams.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone is always going to go over the top and be quite brutal/offensive with what they say and how they say it, Twitter is a way many fans keep up to date with whats going on at a club and almost every player has it, So it is easy for a "Fan" to brandish over the line comments and it be seen by many from other fans to the actual player. I think the Bennett message is very harsh and there is no need to post it but fans are always going to have an opinion right or wrong. Bennett should of just left it though, its obvious it gets to him but as a professional sometimes your better to just block the person tweeting and move on from that situation, dont give it the time of day sort of thing. Bennett needs to believe in himself, he has his team mates, family/friends and most Derby supporters for this, he knows whats said isn't true and he needs to almost use that tweet as Hourihane did to push him on and make him prove doubters wrong. Savage said that he used to come on to the Forums after games, make a fake profile and ask how everyone thought savage had played as he was really insecure about what people thought about performances, i bet he heard positive and negative but unfortunately its part of being a footballer on social media.

I don’t condone social media abuse but no-one is forcing these players to be on there or holding a gun to their head. They could easily delete it if they wanted to if gets to them that much. What happened to the sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me mentality?

1 minute ago, Sexydadbod said:

I don’t condone social media abuse but no-one is forcing these players to be on there or holding a gun to their head. They could easily delete it if they wanted to if gets to them that much. What happened to the sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me mentality?

Whilst I see this point of view, when you see players “saying win or lose, we stick together”...don’t you think there’s something wrong when the thing they’re sticking together against is the fans who are meant to support them?

Too many fans, not enough supporters at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

Whilst I see this point of view, when you see players “saying win or lose, we stick together”...don’t you think there’s something wrong when the thing they’re sticking together against is the fans who are meant to support them?

Exactly this 

5 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I see your point, but what about them ones who use social media to keep in touch with family or friends? the point is no one should be abused online to the point where they feel like they have to respond, its ridiculous. Its not their fault that certain people are arses

Having loved Twitter for several years i found myself logging out on Tuesday having toyed with the idea for a while.

Modern society & life is absolutely donald ducked.

I've wasted far too much time on Twitter & that is probably my biggest regret.

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

It’s easy to criticise Derby fans but every fan base in the world is like this in every sport? From a footballers point of view it’s an unfortunate consequence of being in the limelight so they have to get used to it and I hate to say this but “mentally stronger”, it only becomes a major issue if the abuse turns physical or threats of harm to their family. Things like “you aren’t good enough” can easily be laughed at and not taken to heart. 

Man Utd fans racially abused their own players. Look at some of the abuse Gareth Bale gets at Real Madrid! They trash his car as a threat to make him leave the club and boo him out the stadium.  Bale doesn’t moan, he gets on with it and tries to prove them wrong which is the mentality other players should have

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

I see your point, but what about them ones who use social media to keep in touch with family or friends? the point is no one should be abused online to the point where they feel like they have to respond, its ridiculous. Its not their fault that certain people are arses

Not condoning it, but you can easily make profiles private and alter things to ensure anonymity if they wanted to. That, and Twitter is a rubbish platform for doing that anyway.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

I’d quite confidently say that no footballer uses twitter to stay in contact with family or friends, even if they did, the option is there to go on private. They’d use things like snapchat for communication with friends

There are a lot of hateful idiots in the real world who can barely string a sentence together. The internet gives them the illusion of anonymity, so they think they can say whatever they want without consequences. Asking them to think before they write something is pointless - they do not have the capacity to do so. 

Most people on here are pretty reasonable most of the time, but the rest of social media is a hive of scum and villainy that you would basically have to make illegal to use if you wanted to stop these morons.

1 minute ago, Sexydadbod said:

I’d quite confidently say that no footballer uses twitter to stay in contact with family or friends, even if they did, the option is there to go on private. They’d use things like snapchat for communication with friends

Fair enough, I see what you mean 

50 minutes ago, Squid said:

So first of all, I know about all the freedom of speech yabba jabba, but still. Some of the stuff I see on social media nowadays is uncalled for, and disgusting. 

I'm not going to give examples because I don't feel like these people deserve any sort of publicity, but seriously?! tweeting AT players? so they see how disrespectful you've been? Ridiculous.

You have every right to say someone didn't perform well, or you feel someone doesn't fit in the team very well, but whats taking it too far is directly saying to the player "you're sh**" , "you're stealing a living" etc etc.

I wish people would think before they tweet, some of the abuse you see directed at players nowadays is awful (Mason Bennett yesterday, for example), we're of course not the only team who have fans that do it, but it absolutely does my head in when one player has a bad game and next thing you know their the next Colonel Gadaffi and everyone hates them. ridiculous. 

If we want our players to perform, if we want them to put a shift in, how about backing them, supporting them, instead of tweeting at them "jeff off out our club, ur s***" or whatever, when they put on a tweet after the match motivate them, they're not going to build confidence with folk putting them down.

I know footballs frustrating, players can be frustrating, but people need to understand that giving abuse to a player isn't going to boost their confidence, and with Mental Health awareness becoming more of a thing in football, please just think before you tweet.

To all you folk who aren't one of these people, sound job.

Uppa rams.

You’ve answered your own question here. Many people don’t have the capacity to think when they get on social media!

9 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Footballer gets abused in the supermarket, well no-one is forcing these players to do their own shopping, they could get someone else to pick it up or order online.....how far do you go down this path where we strip footballers lives back?

What happened to the support your team mentality, that’s the question you should be asking and why is it some fans are incapable of criticising a performance without abuse?

I thought we all wanted to see this club promoted, are these fans that empty between the ears to believe tagging them and telling them to basically F off will help trigger a response on the pitch? 

This isn’t unique to Derby, it’s football over and the toxic hole that Twitter has become, the news highlighting Pogba racial abuse triggers more the following week to Rashford. 

Maybe the calls for ID checks on these large sites isn’t a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

It’s easy to criticise Derby fans but every fan base in the world is like this in every sport? From a footballers point of view it’s an unfortunate consequence of being in the limelight so they have to get used to it and I hate to say this but “mentally stronger”, it only becomes a major issue if the abuse turns physical or threats of harm to their family. Things like “you aren’t good enough” can easily be laughed at and not taken to heart. 

Man Utd fans racially abused their own players. Look at some of the abuse Gareth Bale gets at Real Madrid! They trash his car as a threat to make him leave the club and boo him out the stadium.  Bale doesn’t moan, he gets on with it and tries to prove them wrong which is the mentality other players should have

Sorry, but what you have written has demonstrated what the problem is - if you think it is in any way the players' responsibility to put up with this abuse and that it is only a major issues if 'physical or threat of harm' you are totally misunderstanding the issue. This "man up" type attitude is at the route of a lot of people's mental health problems and in posting comments like this you are contributing to its propagation.

23 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

I think that sort of attitude contributed, along with other attitudes, towards the current situation whereby men have shocking mental health. 

People saying why are they on there, well why shouldn't they be?

Should people not be on something because some other people can't behave like decent human beings?

What should be happening is the people who can do nothing but abuse others should be gone, and the good ones should remain.

But that would rely on someone at these social media companies actually giving a stuff about the situation that they've clearly let get ridiculously out of control.

7 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

First of all everybody including professional sportsman should be able to use social media without having to be hassled and abused,Sportsmen are first and foremost human beings who  have normal personalities some will have thick skin others will be ultra sensitive.At the end of the day there are no excuses for these mindless idiots,In simple terms it is an hate crime and the sooner action is taken against one of the then maybe others wont be so quick to write there poison.

Archived