Damned

zaragozaram

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of children/minors, I'm under the impression that the kids sizes, whether they have names/numbers on the back or not, do not... and cannot... come with the (betting) sponsor on the front... so a little less "All the children are gonna die in a bookies" would be appreciated!

On a separate note, how many people... like me... wont be buying a sponsored (replica) shirt, but would if they did a non-sponsored adult version (á la West Ham)?

*I hasten to add, my thoughts are not in any way ethically driven, merely that I prefer something a little more discreet, so just the makers logo and a Ram on my breast, hence my preference... for a good few years now... to go for the training tops and the like.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

On a separate note, how many people... like me... wont be buying a sponsored (replica) shirt, but would if they did a non-sponsored adult version (A la West Ham)?

Same here. I always buy a training top.

I don't know how they managed to sell shirts with that horrible Just Eat logo on.

4 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

Same here. I always buy a training top.

I don't know how they managed to sell shirts with that horrible Just Eat logo on.

Totally agree.  The large front sponsor logo's always put me off, but Just Eat was far the least attractive on the eye!  

Some more nonsense, they really are desperate to find any spin on it they can...

Oops sorry I'll rephrase that, not spin, can't say spin, mustn't use any word that could possibly be relating to gambling, oh poo I've been compromised, influenced, I'm playing russian roulette with every post I make! baalocks there I go again!

They really are desperate to make something out of every possible angle to turn into a problem!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/49297120

"However, Professor Jim Orford - a psychologist from Birmingham University who studies gambling - said: "It's obvious what it is there for, isn't it?

"It won't say 32Red, it will just be 32, but it clearly is meant to be a link to 32Red and people will start to associate the number 32 with gambling and gambling on 32Red.

"A lot of children won't understand it to start with but advertising is like that. A lot of people will understand it, while for others it will just be in the back of their minds and be subliminal."

He's just come out with a jumble of words saying 32, red and gambling a lot in circular fashion without actually making a point.

Next step: ban all Disney Pixar type family films for having jokes in designed to give the adults a chuckle whilst going completely over the kids heads.

Quick! Get those repeats of Wheel of Fortune off Challenge TV before  a kiddiwink accidentally watches it and makes the connection between a spinning wheel with numbers on and winning prizes!

10 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Some more nonsense, they really are desperate to find any spin on it they can...

Oops sorry I'll rephrase that, not spin, can't say spin, mustn't use any word that could possibly be relating to gambling, oh poo I've been compromised, influenced, I'm playing russian roulette with every post I make! baalocks there I go again!

They really are desperate to make something out of every possible angle to turn into a problem!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/49297120

"However, Professor Jim Orford - a psychologist from Birmingham University who studies gambling - said: "It's obvious what it is there for, isn't it?

"It won't say 32Red, it will just be 32, but it clearly is meant to be a link to 32Red and people will start to associate the number 32 with gambling and gambling on 32Red.

"A lot of children won't understand it to start with but advertising is like that. A lot of people will understand it, while for others it will just be in the back of their minds and be subliminal."

He's just come out with a jumble of words saying 32, red and gambling a lot in circular fashion without actually making a point.

Next step: ban all Disney Pixar type family films for having jokes in designed to give the adults a chuckle whilst going completely over the kids heads.

Quick! Get those repeats of Wheel of Fortune off Challenge TV before  a kiddiwink accidentally watches it and makes the connection between a spinning wheel with numbers on and winning prizes!

A quick browse through some of the guy's work is quite telling and I do agree gambling addiction is a problem. But a lot of his papers seem to be based upon qualititive data. Not an issue, but with something as serious as gambling addiction research and prefer to see something more concrete. His name has been all over papers since 2005 and a quick Google comes up with his Amazon author page. 

Just a professor from the university of Birmingham looking for some exposure to sell his books. 

Syncacle I know, but anyone who has been to university knows the type of lecturer he is. 

10 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

A quick browse through some of the guy's work is quite telling and I do agree gambling addiction is a problem. But a lot of his papers seem to be based upon qualititive data. Not an issue, but with something as serious as gambling addiction research and prefer to see something more concrete. His name has been all over papers since 2005 and a quick Google comes up with his Amazon author page. 

Just a professor from the university of Birmingham looking for some exposure to sell his books. 

Syncacle I know, but anyone who has been to university knows the type of lecturer he is. 

On a subject like gambling there is significant quantitative data available as well, so it would seem to be strange to not account for that as well in your research. I wouldn't review the desk top study and not look at the borehole logs for a contaminated site.......

22 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

The only people moaning are people who are anti gambling industry, and have agendas, because they blame everyone else but themselves.

You know what their end game is? PPI style payouts trying to get bookies to pay them back saying they should have made them stop.

They couldn’t give a monkeys about better treatment services and education in schools. Always looking for confirmation bias.

I get a lot of stick off them, because I take full responsibility for my actions. Like most in life with anything. They also give me stick because of something else..... I talk the truth and have lived in experience, they can’t kid a ex kidder..... they are still slipping and gambling. I’m not, selfish I know, but it’s my recovery what matters first 

Well said kiddo.

From the Barbara Ellen in the Observer

Wayne Rooney has been criticised by the Church of England for promoting gambling with his £7.8m player-coach signing with Derby County, where part of his salary will be paid by sponsors, the betting company 32Red, with him wearing the number 32 on his shirt.

Dr Alan Smith, the bishop of St Albans, said it was harmful to impressionable young fans to see gambling promoted in this way. Rooney had his own gambling problems, so the decision is even odder. Still, why are people focusing on Rooney in particular?

This is beyond one player – this is about the greed and irresponsibility of football clubs and English football generally. Half of the Premier League’s football shirts will feature a gambling company’s logo this season, while 17 out of 24 Championship shirts will sport a betting logo. Football is awash with advertising revenue, not just from gambling but also from alcohol and unaffordable designer labels.

Advertising is as defining a feature of high-level football culture as the pitch itself, but what advertising should be permitted? Of course, Rooney could have turned down the Derby County deal. However, it seems unfair to concentrate on him when the problems run far deeper. In this case, the celebrity footballer is the symptom, not the cause.

• Barbara Ellen is an Observer columnist

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Come, come. Unlike the satanic Gambling industry the Catholic Church are ducking choirboys.

30 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Come, come. Unlike the satanic Gambling industry the Catholic Church are ducking choirboys.

Yeah, greatest lie ever told. Without doubt responsible for more death and misery than any other single institution in the history of mankind. Their hypocrisy makes me sick. Might doodle a SouthPark thingy where Wazza's the Devil and Mel's Saddam Hussein and send the ducker to that relic in St Albans.

Archived