Liquid football

DCFC Ram

I watched the Netherlands easily beat Spain in 17s game at Burton last year. 2 things struck me about the Netherlands approach. 1) The coaches said very little during the game. They remained calm, studying what was happening. 2) The CDM and the CHs swapped positions a fair bit during the game depending on what was happening. They did it themselves without the instructions of the coaches. 

Netherlands were very impressive. It was quite unusual to see the 2 approaches & v different to watching a typical 'English' game.

I think that we saw a glimpse or two of this v Huddersfield with Evans dropping back a few times.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DCFC Ram said:

I watched the Netherlands easily beat Spain in 17s game at Burton last year. 2 things struck me about the Netherlands approach. 1) The coaches said very little during the game. They remained calm, studying what was happening. 2) The CDM and the CHs swapped positions a fair bit during the game depending on what was happening. They did it themselves without the instructions of the coaches. 

Netherlands were very impressive. It was quite unusual to see the 2 approaches & v different to watching a typical 'English' game.

I think that we saw a glimpse or two of this v Huddersfield with Evans dropping back a few times.

Just to add against Huddersfield also saw the attacking wide players swap flanks , the full backs swap with the attacking wide players and the wide players swap with the centre forward . 

1 hour ago, DCFC Ram said:

Any signs of a false number 9? ?

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Just to add against Huddersfield also saw the attacking wide players swap flanks , the full backs swap with the attacking wide players and the wide players swap with the centre forward . 

I didn’t see much of the Huddersfield game but against Girona there was the beginnings of something positive going on then. It that wasn’t accidental. Full backs and wingers swapping and over lapping - working as a pair, something I have always enjoyed since I starting watching football.

I’d say that it definitely appeared that way against Huddersfield. We all know the Dutch like their total football tactics, and it seemed cocu had instructed the team to take up at least some of those tactics. It was clear that Huddlestone and Evans swapped around a fair bit obviously, and you also saw the centre backs making runs (like Clarke’s in the second half) with midfielders sitting in to cover. It can certainly be an effective tactic when you’ve got a rigid team up against you, as they may know how to deal with your attackers, but when the defenders become the attackers? That can cause all manner of confusion as the opposing defence won’t have a clue as to which man they should be following, and that can open up a lot of space. Think you saw similar out wide as well, there were times that Malone was on the wing and Lawrence was at left back.

Put Holmes and Shinnie in a midfield 3 and it’ll be even more fluid.

The DM drops in for the CB who has dribbled out of defence. Shinnie and Holmes can drop in to cover the full backs who have pushed on. The wingers have cut inside to fill the space vacated by the midfield...

We’d end up like this.... ?

Roos

Holmes Bielik Shinnie

Keogh Clarke

Bogle Bennett Lawrence Malone

Waghorn

The Bielik signing makes sense should Cocu favour the interchange of players. It will be interesting to see to what extent the coaches leave the changing of positions to the players on the pitch - this was the striking thing about the 17s game.

34 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Well done everyone, I thought this thread would have been flooded with puns.

Keep up the good work.

Water a terrible post!  Now everyone is gonna start to tap away, adding to the puns.  Hose in charge around here?  You should be banned, unless the boss has lost his bottle.

On 08/08/2019 at 06:23, DCFC Ram said:

Great post. back in around 1991 i was helping out coaching my son's junior team and the club ran a coaches development session with an external guy who had coached round the world. He made the point that one of the coaching techniques in Holland is silence. they teach the players to think and work it out for themselves and gave an example of when a youth team adjusted their own formation to respond to the opposition. Ok, he was not saying it should be silence for 90 minutes, but that less is more really.  Compare this to Tony Pulis who consistently rants at his players telling them what to do. 

45 minutes ago, DCFC Ram said:

The Bielik signing makes sense should Cocu favour the interchange of players. It will be interesting to see to what extent the coaches leave the changing of positions to the players on the pitch - this was the striking thing about the 17s game.

Very noticeable that Huddles tone and Evans dropped back when Bogle and Malone were upfield. Kept us very solid and we never looked like being caught out on the break unlike last season. 

Archived