4 year plan

Rample

With a lack of business so far I expect Phil, Wazza, Rosie and others have been sat down trying to draft a 4 year plan. 

I've thought about it, pulling in which players we have, which youngsters are coming through, when they're likely to be first team ready, contract expirations, peak selling times etc. and I've come to the conclusion it's all bobbins.

There are no absolutes, and beyond this season not even a guarantee what division we'll be in. There is a big difference in expecting Sibley to be a first teamer in 2021/22 in the championship or Premier league. 

We have no idea what will happen to any of our players, some will stall, have a poor attitude, or get career changing injuries, others might have a loan move and set the world alight, or fall into the first team by accident and hit the ground running. I'm just not convinced that it is all as straightforward as made out. I think all you can do is try to involve and develop youth and what will be will be.

I don't suppose that come first game of the season Phil's plan will be the same as it is today, so other than broadly saying let's offload a midfielder and remove an obstacle to the first team, and putting kids on the bench/loaning players out to aid their development if necessary, which I'd expect every team to do anyway, I'm really not sure how it is possible. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the point is the playing squad was too large, it was detrimental for 2 reasons in particular:

a) a first team pro being dropped is likely to kick up a fuss whereas an academy player not getting on the bench for their first game would be none the wiser. So whether it’s the right thing or not for the development of players very easily the pros get put in the gaps and blocks what would have been a good opportunity to blood youth at the right time. That’s about squad harmony etc

b) having that many players on pro level contracts (and more) isn’t financially viable in ffp and therefore when we needed to make signings or key players came up to improve the team we were either unable to bid or having to sell a valuable payer to fund it. I am hoping this will be the case after this year (maybe a little of next) with the writing off of some big transfer failings 

With a lot of highly payed big names gone or going I think we might get to clean slate time. The financial pressures will always be there in the championship but I suspect ours will have lessened significantly in the last few months. I am thinking that after the clear out we might see a pause but some interesting January activity. I suspect the academy will be better used both in terms of promoting youngsters or selling them on at a profit 

Mel will for certain be chasing new investors - the club profile has to be attractive, there are no skeletons, we are organised and well founded and have a reasonable status in the pantheon of English football. 

Frank has helped improve that profile and get us a wad of compo from Chelsea and I have no doubt that our Phil will give us a bit of a sparkle on the pitch. 

This bit is off topic but There was something very encouraging when the first teamers came on in numbers last night .. we looked hot stuff and were more composed playing out from the back than I think I have ever seen ( Evans passing and Keogh choosing to burst forward (or not) .. looked a good mix 

Please don’t repost this after we lose our opening game ?

COYR

The more I see, the more convinced I am that Cocu does see this as a long term, multi season project.

I know that's what he stated when he was unveiled, but I took that as the usual new manager bluster and sat back and waited for the big money signings to roll in.

I'm now thinking the crazy Dutch bugger meant it, his playing the two squads in the reverse natural order i.e. First team Burton, second string Girona, seems to back up his words.

It's clever imo, letting the mostly kids squad learn lessons from decent opposition at home with no pressure upon them, rather than putting them against game, experienced but technically no better opponents in a less demanding fixture, I'm sure he's accelerated his understanding of the standing of our youngsters strengths and weaknesses through his selections.

I really hope he and Mel are completely aligned in this vision, that would be my only area of concern, after all we've been so close so often recently that I could understand the owner wanting only tweaks rather than overhaul, but I really like the path Cocu and his staff are taking us down, and if that means a plan over 3/4 years delivers sustainable success, I for one will be patient.

16 minutes ago, europia said:

Another transitional season (or 4) then ??

I wouldn't say transitional playing style wise.

Both the manager and the squad have been at pains to mention it's small details that are different from last season, I think any transition will be in the club's attitude to spending large amounts on proven players with high salary demands.

4 year plan might be pushing it as Cocu & crew have three year contract...

But surely we are gonna see more youngster's coming in, that's what his team does and does it succesfully. Cocu mentioned three year plan for youngsters so we should not be waiting for similar rise to first team like Bogle... that sucks I know, we want to win the league with our youngster this season.

If we look at the names pushing for first team right now and the first teamers running out of contract this season, we might have hints who could be starting some games this season:

Carson -> Ravas

Davies -> Buchanan

Forsyth -> MacDonald

Anya -> Whittaker

Huddlestone -> Bird

Thorne -> Knight

Dowell -> Sibley

Bennett -> expecting a new contract, but Mitchell-Lawson/McAllister

Martin -> Cresswell

I'll admit that's very robust way (For example, Bateman is more likely to closer to first team than MacDonald, dissimilarites of playing style in midfield etc...) to look at it and most likely there is some players coming and going next week.  But in the end it's number game and if those young ones get a game here and there, they will be more ready for the increased first team action 2020-2021. Also next summer Cocu should be wiser is this crop of youngsters up to it or not and build from there on.

Mel likes to follow the blue print of other clubs.

Perhaps he has seen the likes of Norwich, Southampton, Leicester, Sheff United, Huddersfield relegated to league 1 and then bounce back and get promoted to the prem.

So, 4 year plan...sign no one, get relegated this year, storm league 1 next year, win the championship and then win the prem in the 4th year.

2 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

However patient Mel would like to portray he is, he is only human. There is only a infinite time before he press's the panic button. I fear this will happen a lot earlier than 4 years if things don't go to plan.

You meant finite amount of time I assume.

Unless you know something that I don't that Morris is an immortal.

I would love it if in 3/4 years time we had 75% of the 1st made up from the academy competing in the top 6th of the championship. I’d take he next 3 seasons watching us compete and build a style of play blooding our youngsters (not Chelsea’s). I just don’t think there is the patience for this from A. The fans and B. The pull of the premiership lights anytime we get a sniff........

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I would love it if in 3/4 years time we had 75% of the 1st made up from the academy competing in the top 6th of the championship. I’d take he next 3 seasons watching us compete and build a style of play blooding our youngsters (not Chelsea’s). I just don’t think there is the patience for this from A. The fans and B. The pull of the premiership lights anytime we get a sniff........

Could be our own Class of 92. Why not?

Incremental progress is ok. Trouble is, that's what we got under nigel but it was a bit too slow. 

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Could be our own Class of 92. Why not?

Incremental progress is ok. Trouble is, that's what we got under nigel but it was a bit too slow. 

Yeah agreed why not, maybe just maybe ?

Archived