Academy Thread 19/20

16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Perhaps just looking to add depth with a view to releasing someone from the youth in the summer or maybe promoting someone to the first team and losing our current first team GKs.

Our current keepers are...

First team: Roos, Hamer, Carson, Mitchell, Ravas
U23s: Barnes, Yates
U18s: Foster-Theniger, Halwax
Junior: Roberts

Carson, Mitchell and Barnes are out on loan leaving us with 4 GKs for the first team and U23s - plenty in my opinion.
Next season, the U23s will have Foster-Theniger and Halwax making the jump up - so we'll still have enough for the U23s, with a surplus of 2nd/3rd choice GKs in the first team

edit: Ravas will be with the first team tonight, leaving just Yates as the only GK for the U23s. If he picked up a slight injury then it makes sense to get someone in.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ambitious said:

U23s are currently getting dicked by Brighton. I’ve got notifications on, but no idea of team or what’s going on.

The club is falling apart. 

Anya just tave away a penalty. Ravas saved but the kicker scored off the rebound

ravas, anya, a brown, minkley, wassall, dixon, j brown,  cresswell, babos, shonibare, hector ingram.

we look a bit crap.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Another game with Hepburn-Murphy and Babos in midfield. 

We were bolstered by our really good trio of midfielders at the beginning of the season but they are only playing very occasionally and then only one at a time. 

Yeah, not seen the game but one look at that line up shows there's no midfield, and it looks like Archie Brown could be fullback?

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Yeah, not seen the game but one look at that line up shows there's no midfield, and it looks like Archie Brown could be fullback?

We played a 4231

Ravas
Anya  Wassall  Minkley  JBrown
Dixon Babos
Hepburn-Murphy  Cresswell  Shonibare
Hector-Ingram

At half time Archie Brown came on Hepburn-Murphy, Cresswell went out wide, JBrown into midfield with Archie at LB. Thompson later came on for Dixon at CM. 

No Buchanan, Ebosele, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Whittaker or JML from the list of players used in the U23s this season, yet all would have been an improvement.

It's an unfortunate byproduct of the tremendous work that our youth team coaches do that every time they develop a player to the point that said player is ready to start games for the first team, it rather undermines the success of the U23s.

It must be quite a bittersweet feeling for Darren Wassall and co as on the one hand, he must be proud and delighted to see young, talented players proving they are good enough to transition upwards, but when each player does so, it somewhat undermines the team he leaves.

One thing is for sure and that is DW has been an absolutely key player in the development of our academy to a point where we seem to have an embarrassment of riches amongst the youth squads and any number of clubs doubtless casting envious glances in our direction. For me he's something of an unsung hero. 

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's an unfortunate byproduct of the tremendous work that our youth team coaches do that every time they develop a player to the point that said player is ready to start games for the first team, it rather undermines the success of the U23s.

It must be quite a bittersweet feeling for Darren Wassall and co as on the one hand, he must be proud and delighted to see young, talented players proving they are good enough to transition upwards, but when each player does so, it somewhat undermines the team he leaves.

One thing is for sure and that is DW has been an absolutely key player in the development of our academy to a point where we seem to have an embarrassment of riches amongst the youth squads and any number of clubs doubtless casting envious glances in our direction. For me he's something of an unsung hero. 

I was having thoughts along similar lines the other day. Its the Nature of an academy system to be fair, but it must be quite tough. You can’t help but think having a larger squad across both the U18s and U23 would be beneficial - after all, you can’t have too many decent prospects! Think the signings made in January maybe point towards that sort of strategy being implemented, recruiting top talents from other clubs to add to our own. I think it’s definitely the way to go, and it’ll be interesting if we bring more in over the summer.

One things for sure and that’s the brilliant work that Wassall is doing. He’s worthy of huge credit for the success of our academy at all levels, as well as the successes of those who’ve made the step up to the first team. With players like JHI and RHM joining us from prem sides, we seem to be a real attractive proposition to top youth prospects wanting to develop their game. And that’s brilliant for us as a club in the long term.

40 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I was having thoughts along similar lines the other day. Its the Nature of an academy system to be fair, but it must be quite tough. You can’t help but think having a larger squad across both the U18s and U23 would be beneficial - after all, you can’t have too many decent prospects! Think the signings made in January maybe point towards that sort of strategy being implemented, recruiting top talents from other clubs to add to our own. I think it’s definitely the way to go, and it’ll be interesting if we bring more in over the summer.

One things for sure and that’s the brilliant work that Wassall is doing. He’s worthy of huge credit for the success of our academy at all levels, as well as the successes of those who’ve made the step up to the first team. With players like JHI and RHM joining us from prem sides, we seem to be a real attractive proposition to top youth prospects wanting to develop their game. And that’s brilliant for us as a club in the long term.

I think to be an academy manager/coach you must realise the game you’re in, and that whilst results and performances are great, you’re ultimate judgment is based upon the improvement of players and their development towards being first team capable. I wouldn’t imagine it would be a massive concern to the coaches long term. 

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think to be an academy manager/coach you must realise the game you’re in, and that whilst results and performances are great, you’re ultimate judgment is based upon the improvement of players and their development towards being first team capable. I wouldn’t imagine it would be a massive concern to the coaches long term. 

Think this goes without saying but they wouldn't be human if they didn't think from time to time, we could be topping this league with x, y and z in the team. At most other clubs I don't think the progression to the 1st team would be as swift as it's becoming at Derby either but I suppose the U23s loss is the senior squads gain.  

The only issue is if youth players aren't playing for the youth teams and then sitting on the bench for the first team, getting no minutes. It obviously has value to travel with the first team squad etc so you integrate a bit but I'd rather they played

In fairness, of late the likes of Sibley and Whittaker have been playing U23s football and travelling with the first team. Must be exhausting! 

Anyone help with a question on next round of the Premier League Cup?

I’m told we are playing Boro at St George’s Park 12.30 kick off, if it’s true can I assume anyone can just poll up and walk across to the pitch involved?

On 02/03/2020 at 19:28, Zag zig said:

Anyone help with a question on next round of the Premier League Cup?

I’m told we are playing Boro at St George’s Park 12.30 kick off, if it’s true can I assume anyone can just poll up and walk across to the pitch involved?

When are we playing that? 

Yes, you can usually park up for free and watch the match. I like St George's Park (when I get there!) 

38 minutes ago, angieram said:

When are we playing that? 

Yes, you can usually park up for free and watch the match. I like St George's Park (when I get there!) 

Been trying to find out if it’s on, Boro mate sent me this today from their website.

1AE95CCE-ACA9-4946-B2B4-22F53BB5EF3B.png

38 minutes ago, angieram said:

And no game on Saturday. Could be quite a lot of us turn up. Thanks.

There are still games to be played in the group stages so it makes me suspicious over this fixture. I imagine we'll try to move the date, and that's probably why we haven't announced it as a fixture yet. We've been struggling to name enough players in the matchday squad in recent weeks, and with half of the team currently away in Austria (followed by travelling back), I wouldn't ordinarily expect us to play until Sunday at the earliest.

Archived