Ideal squad size/makeup

Jram

I'd be interested to know what people think the ideal squad size is and how many players are required for each position.. Also how many youth players should make up the numbers in the squad 

Currently, not Inc those out of contract and the 3 loans this season, I make our squad size 28 (Inc bird, Thomas, Lowe) which is arguably too high even without all those leaving 

I remember Rowett saying he'd ideally have 22 with 4 or 5 youngsters knocking on the door, allowing for a few injuries so not many miss out on the 18 every week 

I suppose you have to consider we're well stocked in some areas (fullback) but much less so in others (CM, CB) 

It feels like they constantly want to reduce the squad but don't do so. Whether that's a conscious desire to have a "big squad" (not sure of the wisdom of that) or because of a genuine lack of interest in most of our players 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

25 man squad for me is ideal. 2 players for each position, then an extra goalie, midfielder and striker. Young players can be promoted permanently to make up these numbers, or can be used in emergencies beyond this squad. Think you’re right in we’re currently overstocked, but it’s overstocked in certain areas and under stocked in others. There’s quite a few who’ll leave yet as well out of what we have remaining so I’d expect significant numbers coming in. It’s been hard to reduce the squad size with no one bidding for our players, but in all fairness the players we’ve actually been using have been about a 25 man squad- rest have been with the u23s.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

25 man squad for me is ideal. 2 players for each position, then an extra goalie, midfielder and striker. Young players can be promoted permanently to make up these numbers, or can be used in emergencies beyond this squad. Think you’re right in we’re currently overstocked, but it’s overstocked in certain areas and under stocked in others. There’s quite a few who’ll leave yet as well out of what we have remaining so I’d expect significant numbers coming in. It’s been hard to reduce the squad size with no one bidding for our players, but in all fairness the players we’ve actually been using have been about a 25 man squad- rest have been with the u23s.

I'd pretty much agree.  The re-shaping needs to focus on quality rather than quantity and that's why I'd be happy with Tomori as our only signing if need be with other gaps being filled by our talented youngsters.  Pretty much what Leeds did last year and if only they hadn't spunked all their budget on Bamford who knows what might have happened.

Agree with all the above I think.. Somewhere around 23 with youngsters pushing... Probably need to lose a LB (Lowe sadly and obv Cole and Olson leaving) 

I'd say we're short in advanced cm positions with only really Holmes who has played there recently (unless bryson renews, not sure what I think about that) so I think that will be a priority and we're probably top heavy in cdm (hudds, Thorne, Evans, shinnie, Johnson) 

Wings seem okay with Thomas returning, Lawrence, maybe zoon, Bennett (wouldn't be too sad to cash in on Bennett) and Mitchell lawson pushing? Might bring one in but surely only real quality

Strikers are great, I think we've got some real assets in that position 

Obv CB we need one, hopefully tomori but maybe two given the age of Davies and keogh 

2 minutes ago, Jram said:

Probably need to lose a LB (Lowe sadly)

No way.

Fozzy will likely still be out come season start, we don't want to leave ourselves short and rush him back.

Malone, Fozzy, & Lowe have all had injury problems, so it makes sense to keep them all (fits the 2 seniors + 1 youngster criteria too).

Fozzy can also be converted into a left sided centre back too, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

44 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Malone, Fozzy, & Lowe have all had injury problems, so it makes sense to keep them all (fits the 2 seniors + 1 youngster criteria too).

Got McDonald coming through though and I think after a season of first team football Lowe will expect to be more than 3rd choice

18 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Got McDonald coming through though and I think after a season of first team football Lowe will expect to be more than 3rd choice

He won't be "3rd choice", he'll be one of 2 or 3 (when Fozzy returns) competing for the position.

You're also ignoring their historical fitness problems.

2 hours ago, Jram said:

I remember Rowett saying he'd ideally have 22 with 4 or 5 youngsters knocking on the door, allowing for a few injuries so not many miss out on the 18 every week

What did Rowett say to the youngsters? Come back when you’re 32?

18 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He won't be "3rd choice", he'll be one of 2 or 3 (when Fozzy returns) competing for the position.

You're also ignoring their historical fitness problems.

I am ignoring the fitness problems yes - But the 2 seniors, 1 youngster works on the assumption that the 2 senior players are your main choices and the youngster plays in the rare occasion that both are injured - With Malone, Fozzy and Lowe you would assume Malone and Fozzy would be ahead of Lowe in the pecking order if fit

12 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I am ignoring the fitness problems yes - But the 2 seniors, 1 youngster works on the assumption that the 2 senior players are your main choices and the youngster plays in the rare occasion that both are injured - With Malone, Fozzy and Lowe you would assume Malone and Fozzy would be ahead of Lowe in the pecking order if fit

I can’t see Forsyth returning from another severe injury as a wing back. Most likely cover for CB and LB. The RB position only needs emergency cover (so a CB who can play there) as Bogle seemingly has it in him to play every minute of every game. Malone and Lowe don’t seem to have the same levels of fitness so we’ll end up rotating between them (like we did with Malone and Forsyth until the injury). I wouldn’t be surprised to see Forsyth our on loan in January due to a lack of playing time

Archived