Lampard wants to keep Mount, Wilson & Tomori next season

Day

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

It's an interesting one because I'd have said Mount could slot into pretty much any team and make a positive difference - I don't think he'd look out of place in the Chelsea side tbh

Tomori on the other hand I would have said still needs time to improve - BUT his style of play reminds me of David Luiz back in the day - So quick he lacks a little discipline because he knows he can recover it and incredibly brave in the tackle, no holding back, always wanting to get the ball off people - And Chelsea gave Luz a chance very early on so I could see them giving Tomori a try too

You’re probably not far off on that.

He might even look loads better in a better team where he actually doesn’t have to do much defending? You stick him in a low block team like Burnley and he’d probably look horrendous.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, KCG said:

What we need next season is a side that plays as a team, not a team of individuals.

What evidence do you have that proves we haven't been playing as a team all season??

As others have echoed, I can see Tomori coming back if he wants, but both Mount & Wilson will more than likely go to a Palace or a Southampton

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Luxury player indeed but he is better than the extreme Lawrence version 

To be fair I don’t think we will have to worry about Lawrence next year.

His celebrations etc. suggest that he is a bit fed up of our fans and can’t see why he would want to stay unless nobody wanted him.

That being said, given the amount we paid, his performances to date, and the professionalism you would expect from a man earning more a week than a lot earn in a year (I.e. not turning to our fans and shoving his fingers in his ears), I think the feeling is mutual...

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

What evidence do you have that proves we haven't been playing as a team all season??

Hmm, tough one that, how about our inconsistent performances?!

No matter where they end up next season, all 3 need to be playing. Not just playing, but starting every game. We can offer that. It's pretty much guaranteed and they are progressing at this club. It would be a smart move for all three to come back on a season-long loan again and be recalled at any time. Nobody wants to see their talent wasted next season. 

25 minutes ago, KCG said:

What we need next season is a side that plays as a team, not a team of individuals.

Absolutely this ^. Given that FL was such an outstanding individual, it's perhaps not a surprise that he has produced a "team" where the emphasis is on outstanding individual displays that comprise "team" performance. Yet I'd like to see more team play; there were signs V Bolton that suddenly we had evolved into pass and move (eg Mount's first goal which was brilliantly made by Waghorn's mobility to move sideways) and I'd like to see more of that. For me that is "real" football. I was never really impressed by the boy in the school ground that could dribble past 2 players and shoot...I much rather identified with the players who passed and moved into space to receive the ball back...  

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

It's an interesting one because I'd have said Mount could slot into pretty much any team and make a positive difference - I don't think he'd look out of place in the Chelsea side tbh

Tomori on the other hand I would have said still needs time to improve - BUT his style of play reminds me of David Luiz back in the day - So quick he lacks a little discipline because he knows he can recover it and incredibly brave in the tackle, no holding back, always wanting to get the ball off people - And Chelsea gave Luz a chance very early on so I could see them giving Tomori a try too

Slightly different... Luiz had played for Benfica for 80 odd games already and they signed him for £20m-ish.

13 minutes ago, KCG said:

Hmm, tough one that, how about our inconsistent performances?!

That comes from a lot of variables such as, inconsistent team selection, injuries, individual's poor form or suspensions & a rookie manager still learning the ropes.  I haven't noticed any signs that team morale isn't healthy, or that they're not all pulling in the same direction...

12 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely this ^. Given that FL was such an outstanding individual, it's perhaps not a surprise that he has produced a "team" where the emphasis is on outstanding individual displays that comprise "team" performance. Yet I'd like to see more team play; there were signs V Bolton that suddenly we had evolved into pass and move (eg Mount's first goal which was brilliantly made by Waghorn's mobility to move sideways) and I'd like to see more of that. For me that is "real" football. I was never really impressed by the boy in the school ground that could dribble past 2 players and shoot...I much rather identified with the players who passed and moved into space to receive the ball back...  

I do love to see individual skill and it is needed to breakdown stubborn defences, but, as you say, it should mainly be about pass and move. We have been guilty of not passing forward because of the opposition being close to our players, but as long as we support the player passed to and receive and pass quickly, we would be fine.

7 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

That comes from a lot of variables such as, inconsistent team selection, injuries, individual's poor form or suspensions & a rookie manager still learning the ropes.  I haven't noticed any signs that team morale isn't healthy, or that they're not all pulling in the same direction...

Inconsistent team selection certainly hasn't helped. I don't remember saying team morale wasn't healthy.

What I am talking about, as I'm sure you know, is the lack of consistency in our play. I feel we have been guilty of playing players out of their favoured positions and expecting them to perform as a team.

Take Lawrence for example: for me he's wasted on the left, on occasions he forgets to track back and would be much more comfortable in a more forward central position. Problem is similar can be said about Wilson, and even Mount likes to get forward.

I wonder whether it makes sense to play too many talented players out of their comfort zones when it comes to cohesive team play?!

1 hour ago, MK-Ram said:

To be fair I don’t think we will have to worry about Lawrence next year.

His celebrations etc. suggest that he is a bit fed up of our fans and can’t see why he would want to stay unless nobody wanted him.

That being said, given the amount we paid, his performances to date, and the professionalism you would expect from a man earning more a week than a lot earn in a year (I.e. not turning to our fans and shoving his fingers in his ears), I think the feeling is mutual...

Young player fed up of fans getting on his back? 

Young winger plying trade in the championship shows inconsistency? 

Does any of this truly surprise anyone? 

Jesus wept, flare players have to have arrogance and if he was consistent he wouldn’t be playing in the championship! 

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Be nice to see if Mason Mount back - we didn't get a whole season out of him fully fit and that may well cost us in the end.....

Tomori has improved a lot and played a lot, which is a good advertisement for the benefits of us having Top 4 club loanees.

Is that not a worry? The difference between our side getting promotion or not is down to a loanee. Without him we’re not good enough? 

8 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Is that not a worry? The difference between our side getting promotion or not is down to a loanee. Without him we’re not good enough? 

Its a bit of a leap to say that it would be the sole reason, but on balance i believe some poster put up some points per game type analysis that showed his presence had a positive impact on our results overall. Its not that we're not good enough, but the odds would be longer without him i think.

37 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

What would you prefer?

These three back next season, Frank staying, and the continuation of developing the academy and the style of play - but stay down.

Or go up?

Assuming we'd continue the development of the academy and maintain the style of play if we went up, I'd rather go up.

If for some reason we'd abandon both those things in the event we got promoted then I would indeed rather stay down ? 

The 3 players are actually rather inconsequential to my decision, it turns out. 

19 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Why would that be a worry? Fine margins in this league. Mason Mount could easily have been the difference between going up or staying down. Hopefully he still will be.

Lots of teams would suffer badly if they lost a particular player. The fact that he's a loanee is irrelevant. All the players are loanees really. Except Keogh. He's furniture.

2 hours ago, KCG said:

I do love to see individual skill and it is needed to breakdown stubborn defences, but, as you say, it should mainly be about pass and move. We have been guilty of not passing forward because of the opposition being close to our players, but as long as we support the player passed to and receive and pass quickly, we would be fine.

We need to show more of the style of play that we saw against bolton, simply because it works. Even their manager said we could beat any team in this league if we play like that. And I believe him. Away from home especially we just need to go out with no fear, on the front foot, moving the ball around quickly to link up between players... Not just lumping the ball forward and hoping someone gets their head on it.

I know I’m opening myself up for being proved wrong in years to come, but I can’t see Wilson ever being a regular in Liverpool’s first XI and at the moment I couldn’t see him being a regular in a lower Prem team either. So on that basis, I think we have half a chance of getting him again on loan. Not sure many Prem teams would want to sign up to Liverpool’s loan deals about them having to play them for the majority of games without getting a financial penalty either.

As others have said, I think getting Tomori again has the biggest potential.

Only way we’ll have Mount next season is if we get promoted and while my heart’s holding out for that, my head is telling me something different!

Archived