1 month to save the fans..

Smyth_18

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Don't get the blog headline. "1 Month to save the fans"

Why have we only got 1 month? and what are we saving the fans from?  What happens in a months time, we will have played 5 league games, Villa away and 4 matches on the bounce all at home. Do you think after the month is over, all the fans will stop coming.

Its a forum and every one is entitled to give their thoughts and opinions. But I think you need to look at the bigger picture. Currently we have 7 first team players injured. Its the new manager 1st season. We have in the last 5 years been fighting at the top end of the table and that does'nt happen by playing bad. Next season our FFP situation will be better, with lots of big earners out of contract, giving us chance to bring in some fresh faces. There's 17 teams below us in the league, who wish they were in our position. Its football, its all about supporting your local team. Perhaps you are feeling a bit down due to us losing to the team down the road. What about the United fans, earlier this season getting dumped out of the League cup by some championship side when they had Jose Mourinho in charge. Its not about ONE MONTH TO SAVE THE FANS, its about you being fed up after losing to Millwall followed by losing to our rivals down the road. And you won't see exciting football from Martin O'neill's teams. Your Headline should have been "I'M FED UP AND WE HAVE ONLY 13 GAMES TO SAVE OUR SEASON"

As said previously the early bird renewal is 31st March.

If we carry on as we are, i think a lot of fans will reconsider renewing. After that point it gets more expensive and the decision will already be made.

I admit it's not good to hear, but this is a very real possibility. If we don't improve in March i think we will be looking at an average of around 22-23,000 next season with some under 20,000.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

As said previously the early bird renewal is 31st March.

If we carry on as we are, i think a lot of fans will reconsider renewing. After that point it gets more expensive and the decision will already be made.

I admit it's not good to hear, but this is a very real possibility. If we don't improve in March i think we will be looking at an average of around 22-23,000 next season with some under 20,000.

I'm sure we have this every year   "lots of fans not renewing".

Personally I think you're wrong (depending on what you mean by "lots").

As I've said in an earlier message, yes some will not renew (fallen out of love, other commitments, financial reasons etc.) but I'm confident the majority of those that can will renew.

With regard to next season, a lot will of course depend on how we're performing. If we have a half decent season I'd be stunned if we had any league attendance below 20,000.

26 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

After 30 years of nightmare shift patterns,its finally worth me buying a season ticket (2 actually) so I have...

Just hoping for better performances next year...not completely focused on results,I just want to watch entertaining football from us.

I’d say yes, but if you want a guarantee better performances, then no.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm sure we have this every year   "lots of fans not renewing".

Personally I think you're wrong (depending on what you mean by "lots").

I can't be 'wrong' as i haven't stated anything WILL happen, just that there is a very real possibility, which there is. There is also a very real possibility that pretty much everybody will renew.

I think the entertainment factor is a big deal. How many times do Derby have shots that almost go in or score? Not that often. The football isn’t overall that exciting. I think though the overall experience of football is also the build up, the uncertainty of not knowing what will happen and the feeling of elation/deflation after a match. Recently, the feeling for me has been a bit more apathetic unfortunately. Sometimes I feel moaning fans also reduce the matchday experience. Booing, slagging players off after one mistake.... 

42 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

I can't be 'wrong' as i haven't stated anything WILL happen, just that there is a very real possibility, which there is. There is also a very real possibility that pretty much everybody will renew.

FFS.

OK then, I disagree with your belief that there is a real possibility that crowds will drop to average of 22-23,000, will some below 20,000 unless performances improve in March. 

Does that use of English meet with your approval even though we disagree with what might and might not happen?

I dont need saving. I saw Mick Coop and Clod play for us. Saw us go from Brian Clough to John Newman in a heartbeat. Survived that. Everything else is a bonus.

Football and especially being a supporter has its ups and downs. Some downs can be long and tedius. Thats most likely why the ups are so euphoric. THOSE monents. Wanchope at Old Trafford, Dean Saunders at Highbury, Charlie George v Real Madrid. Three moments pulled out of the hat make up for twenty years of Coops, Clods, Mikkel Becks, Ruben Zadkoviches, Bob Malcoms, Johnathon Hunts... 

Weve at least had those moments. Imagine to support Shrewsbury, Gillingham, Darlington!! 

On 26/02/2019 at 20:06, SuperFrankieLampard said:

I'm with you. See my last post. I had the same dilemma and I'm now a Derby fan, not a supporter.

All we need is one player who 'might' do something amazing (Kinkladze, Le Tissier) for me to want to return. No guarantees they would do something amazing, but I'd still looking forward to seeing if they did.

Pass, Pass, Pass has just got stupidly boring and in the Championship you have to have Plans A-E to adapt to the many different styles. When you have Plan A alone you can almost guarantee that you won't be entertained even in the slightest.

Tell you what ,,, Wilson has done pretty amazing get me jumping out of the chair stuff this season ,,,, tomori has done some pretty amazing last ditch stuff that put me in mind of coln Todd ,, Marriott has scored some gaols that had me saying ,this lads a bloody player , the team as a whole have had some spells that I’ve thought we were unplayable and really on the move , so my problem is where’s the balance in thes posts that don’t see or remember a single bit of that once we have a bit of a slump ?

On 26/02/2019 at 22:36, NottsRam77 said:

Hear what u saying buddy

I think I may with a very heavy heart stop after this season 

slightly more personal reasons but my dad passed away just before Xmas and it was always me and him that would go and have done since I was a boy.

win, lose or draw we’d always have something to dissect, fall out over , annaylse or chat about pre and post game

now that’s gone for me, my two brothers are based in Bristol and can only occasionally make games so like u with your brother that quality time has gone for me with my dad.

part of me wants to carry it on in his name and I will, but with the current situation or last few years rather I’m struggling to find he motivation to go on my Todd and endure 

Genuinely not sure what to do 

Go with your gut feeling mate ,it can’t be wrong as you will either go to keep the closeness and memories you experienced with your dad somehow closer or you will stop if just for a while it will honour the fact that it’s not the same without him to share , neither is wrong ,, 

though I go away games I’ve only been back to pride park twice since I lost my daughter who had season tickets with , first time was bloody hard work second a bit easier so who knows in a few years I may get another season ticket , hard to say though

54 minutes ago, Archied said:

Tell you what ,,, Wilson has done pretty amazing get me jumping out of the chair stuff this season ,,,, tomori has done some pretty amazing last ditch stuff that put me in mind of coln Todd ,, Marriott has scored some gaols that had me saying ,this lads a bloody player , the team as a whole have had some spells that I’ve thought we were unplayable and really on the move , so my problem is where’s the balance in thes posts that don’t see or remember a single bit of that once we have a bit of a slump ?

Here's my experience of good performances from Derby this season (home games/ TV) ;

Derby 3-1 Brentford - Some great football after going 1-0 down.

Manchester United 2-2 Derby - Played with great belief and deserved the win, created a lot of chances and had more possession. Completely ruined by losing to Bolton a few days later.

Derby 2-1 Sheffield United - Felt like a cagey top of the table clash. great defending & clinical finish to win it by Marriott.

West Brom 1-4 Derby - Outstanding  performance of the season. Chance after chance created.

Middlesbrough 1-1 Derby - Played even better than the West Brom game. Should have been 3-0 up in 20 mins.

Derby 3-1 Birmingham - Absolutely hammered them despite going 1-0 down. Granted Camp played a big part.

Derby 2-0 Hull - Can't remember too much as i was a bit drunk. Knew we played very well though.

So i've paid to watch 4 good performances with my season ticket.

The matches in bold were 3 consecutive league games so could argue that this was the anomaly. Don't know how a tem can perform in that way and then completely forget how to do it again. During that Boro game i thought we was bloody special. Until Bogle unfortunately seemed to flip the season on its head performance wise. (it was an honest mistake which i don't blame him for, he'd been brilliant up til then.)

11 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

No you paid for a guaranteed seat to all home matches, nowhere has anyone promised you good bad or indifferent performances as part of that deal. 

18 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Here's my experience of good performances from Derby this season (home games/ TV) ;

Derby 3-1 Brentford - Some great football after going 1-0 down.

Manchester United 2-2 Derby - Played with great belief and deserved the win, created a lot of chances and had more possession. Completely ruined by losing to Bolton a few days later.

Derby 2-1 Sheffield United - Felt like a cagey top of the table clash. great defending & clinical finish to win it by Marriott.

West Brom 1-4 Derby - Outstanding  performance of the season. Chance after chance created.

Middlesbrough 1-1 Derby - Played even better than the West Brom game. Should have been 3-0 up in 20 mins.

Derby 3-1 Birmingham - Absolutely hammered them despite going 1-0 down. Granted Camp played a big part.

Derby 2-0 Hull - Can't remember too much as i was a bit drunk. Knew we played very well though.

The matches in bold were 3 consecutive league games so could argue that this was the anomaly. Don't know how a tem can perform in that way and then completely forget how to do it again. During that Boro game i thought we was bloody special. Until Bogle unfortunately seemed to flip the season on its head performance wise. (it was an honest mistake which i don't blame him for, he'd been brilliant up til then.)

Look it’s simple really ,, we all look for and get something from watching / following our team (whether that’s at live game , watching tv or avidly following results and match reports ) and if you are not getting enough from it don’t go or carry on ,it’s no big deal or problem , my bug  bear is posters saying there’s not a single player doing anything special when we have clearly seen different and the team is playing poor football when in fact they have played some inspiring stuff at times and then rapping that all up nicely to tell us we are in danger of losing massive chunks of the fan base because it’s all so dire , then when that is pointed out the next post  is ,, well I’ve only seen four decent performances from the team , what have the Romans ever done for us ???????

14 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

No you paid for a guaranteed seat to all home matches, nowhere has anyone promised you good bad or indifferent performances as part of that deal. 

You've clearly got it in for me as within 15 mins you've jumped on a very small part of my post, completely missing the point yet again.

I've never said that is ALL i have paid for, i have paid for the experience (which on the whole i enjoy) Just that there have been 4 good performances in that time. This forum on the whole is based on watching the football team, who i don't believe have been as good as they potentially could be for the majority of the season.

On 26/02/2019 at 09:50, Smyth_18 said:

As much as it hurts to say it, i am genuinely reconsidering whether to renew my season ticket.

I'm sick of everything to do with the club;

- The new players coming in saying we are a ready made premier league club and offering absolutely nothing to get us there. Some fans are of the impression that this was always going to be a season for stability. Why does every player coming in talk about promotion being the immediate goal? It's all the manager talks about too and bringing in a 38 year old only backs that up. The fans will obviously be upset when we fail on the goals set by the players and management themselves.

- The constant call from the fans to sack the manager when it clearly isn't the source of the problem as we've been through so many.

- Tactics. What do we actually do in training? We only seem to have one plan. To play it out from the back and little else after that. We have got worse and worse in terms of tempo. Very early on in the season you could see that our defence weren't capable of playing from the back and the midfield had no capability of increasing the tempo and actually creating.

- I put myself into a small debt to not enjoy myself. If a player was asked, 'why should the fans renew their season tickets', they'd say they need our support. I give my support season after season and it makes no difference to them. Why should we pay to support them when they're not arsed? We pay to enjoy ourselves and be entertained, or at the very least see people working hard for our football club.

- i know it's only football but supporting this club seriously isn't good for mental health. We have no control over what happens. I was embarrassed last night how much it affected my mood. On a Saturday i could possibly control my own happiness by going for a long run/ walk or simply spending time with my family.

The only saving graces for me at the moment are;

- I get to spend quality time with my brother just me and him, but i'm sure we can find something else where we are not spending half the time moaning.

- The big one..... What if? What if next season is our year? What if it is and i miss it after all these years?

And that will be enough to make me renew & slightly struggle to finance.

But there will be a lot of fans out there who have simply given up, and i wouldn't blame them one bit.

I have already renewed 

Thats not the spirt to have look juat renew it is done no need stress about money then

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

Look it’s simple really ,, we all look for and get something from watching / following our team (whether that’s at live game , watching tv or avidly following results and match reports ) and if you are not getting enough from it don’t go or carry on ,it’s no big deal or problem , my bug  bear is posters saying there’s not a single player doing anything special when we have clearly seen different and the team is playing poor football when in fact they have played some inspiring stuff at times and then rapping that all up nicely to tell us we are in danger of losing massive chunks of the fan base because it’s all so dire , then when that is pointed out the next post  is ,, well I’ve only seen four decent performances from the team , what have the Romans ever done for us ???????

I've always been obsessed with Derby County football club and that will never change. I'm just not happy in the slightest with the mentality of the players in the last 4 years.

I've never doubted we have had special moments from players this season, other than the United game i wouldn't go as far to say 'inspiring'.

Whether you like it or not, there is a very real possibility of a lot less renewals in the next month if the performances are on a par with the Ipswich, Millwall and Forest games. Surely you can see that?

15 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

You've clearly got it in for me as within 15 mins you've jumped on a very small part of my post, completely missing the point yet again.

I've never said that is ALL i have paid for, i have paid for the experience (which on the whole i enjoy) Just that there have been 4 good performances in that time. This forum on the whole is based on watching the football team, who i don't believe have been as good as they potentially could be for the majority of the season.

Mate you need to get a grip ,, don’t know if you’ve ever seen the film airplane? The bit with the hysterical female passenger ? You need and are getting the equivalent in forum terms?

6 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I have already renewed 

Thats not the spirt to have look juat renew it is done no need stress about money then

Thanks b4 but the 340 quid dent in the account might say otherwise!

I will be renewing, despite there seemingly being so many more cons than pros in each column at the moment. I will continue to support as i have always done but i am very concerned by a fair few players at the club. I don't think a load of new signings is the answer either.

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Mate you need to get a grip ,, don’t if you’ve ever seen the film airplane? The bit with the hysterical female passenger ? You need and are getting the equivalent in forum terms?

Got a very firm grip on my life thanks.

This has sparked a 7 page discussion with people on both sides of the fence. Exactly what is intended by a forum.

Apologies for being passionate about the club and opening a discussion.

1 minute ago, Smyth_18 said:

I've always been obsessed with Derby County football club and that will never change. I'm just not happy in the slightest with the mentality of the players in the last 4 years.

I've never doubted we have had special moments from players this season, other than the United game i wouldn't go as far to say 'inspiring'.

Whether you like it or not, there is a very real possibility of a lot less renewals in the next month if the performances are on a par with the Ipswich, Millwall and Forest games. Surely you can see that?

Mate why are you worrying about renewal numbers ? They go up and down like a whores drawers at most REAL WORLD football clubs , just decide what it is YOU want/expect from buying a season ticket and if you get enough then buy one and if not then don’t ,, it’s that simple really ,, the rest is down to the owners and management to worry about 

Archived