1 month to save the fans..

Smyth_18

I have renewed but if people don’t enjoy going then don’t go

in terms of promotion well it seems like every season two spots are already taken by a recently relegated ex premiership team with lots of parachute payments ( relegated within the last two seasons) so that leaves us and everybody else chasing one spot which needs a damm good team and that usually takes time to assemble and the club needs to not sell thier best assets whilst doing so.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

What is the main reason VR, continual disappointment, style of football, or just combination of financial etc.? 

A couple its to do with work, the others just can't be bothered anymore, so continual disappointment I think - more as other posters allude to, of feeling of being built up only to be let down, year after year, manager after manager. Of course if we end up getting promoted this season.........

I've had a chat with my lads in the last couple of days and we're going to renew.

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

A couple its to do with work, the others just can't be bothered anymore, so continual disappointment I think - more as other posters allude to, of feeling of being built up only to be let down, year after year, manager after manager. Of course if we end up getting promoted this season.........

I've had a chat with my lads in the last couple of days and we're going to renew.

That's just football though. 99% of football fans feel this way each season. What's changed?

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

That's just football though. 99% of football fans feel this way each season. What's changed?

With these guys, nothing that specific, just a building up of it all over the years until you just reach a tipping point and just go "you' know what, I've had enough, I can't be bothered. Next season's just going to be the same". When you sit in the pub beforehand and say "shall we just stay here and watch Soccer Saturday". When it stops being enjoyable. I had it towards the end of the Clough era and nearly didn't renew then. I was just bored.

I'm sure as you say the problem isn't exclusive to Derby, but it does feel that as fans or owners or players, we do place a heavy expectation on ourselves as a club. Underlined perhaps by the fact we have come so close so many times recently.

And you're right when you say many football fans feel this way. I guess sometimes it just reaches a point where your priorities change. When spending half your day out watching Derby isn't as good as doing other things.

We've decided to renew not because of any uplift in hope or expectation, but just because it's a nice thing to do on a Saturday afternoon and we'd miss it. 

And as @Smyth_18 pointed out, next year might be our year (as might this year!)

3 hours ago, Carnero said:

This is it exactly. In some senses football for middle and lower size clubs has changed very little in the past 40 years. It is only fleetingly entertaining with little in the way of success. There are 24 teams in this division and only three can succeed and our fans are no more deserving of success than anyone else's.

It makes the reason for going in the first place really unclear. One of the writers of Viz once said his magazine is for people who know that The Sun newspaper is rubbish but still read it anyway as it keeps them in the loop and gives them something to talk about. 

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

in terms of promotion well it seems like every season two spots are already taken by a recently relegated ex premiership team with lots of parachute payments

And yet it hardly ever comes to that - Stoke were nailed on to bounce back this season. Also, don't forget to note that next season is going to be even more difficult due to

a/ some really good teams coming down

b/ some really good teams coming up

c/ some teams in this division finally kicking on

4 hours ago, Carnero said:

And it's all of football - Real Madrid fans complain in just the same way as Forest Green Rovers fans.

In Russian the verb 'to support' as in football actually is the same as 'to be ill'. Basically, in Russia you are 'ill for' your club. It's a much more accurate depiction.

My ST is £555 which divided by 23 (games) is £24.... and I don’t make them all with holidays etc. Don’t think I’m renewing if honest which I didn’t think I would be saying as “did” love going, but now it feels a chore.

My lad will be adult price this time so the same as me who I pay for... so have to weigh up VFM and general enjoyment. Pick my games as I go I guess... red button has killed it.

12 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

You could always downgrade to a cheaper area 

Fair point, but ill still be buying two adult. If honest, I’ve enjoyed away games more this season... Reading, Man U, Accrington.... Stoke (not so good).... but actually enjoyed those for obvious reasons.

On 26/02/2019 at 11:01, Tamworthram said:

The title should be changed to "..... Save some fan....."

Yes, some will fall out of love and walk away, some fickle "fan" will not renew because we have failed to gain promotion and others will not be able to renew for  other reason (financial, work etc). But, I suspect the majority (myself included) would renew pretty much regardless of performances or league position (I'd renew even if we were relegated).

I personally don't know any (let alone lots) who aren't renewing. 

Occasionally I have wished I had a choice, but no, I haven't.....I'm doomed for eternity.

8 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

And it's all of football - Real Madrid fans complain in just the same way as Forest Green Rovers fans.

In Russian the verb 'to support' as in football actually is the same as 'to be ill'. Basically, in Russia you are 'ill for' your club. It's a much more accurate depiction.

There was a line in a TV show called Attention Scum where the main guy said “starts as a hobby... becomes a job... ends an illness”. That sums up being a football supporter in 10 words.

On 26/02/2019 at 15:36, NottsRam77 said:

Hear what u saying buddy

I think I may with a very heavy heart stop after this season 

slightly more personal reasons but my dad passed away just before Xmas and it was always me and him that would go and have done since I was a boy.

win, lose or draw we’d always have something to dissect, fall out over , annaylse or chat about pre and post game

now that’s gone for me, my two brothers are based in Bristol and can only occasionally make games so like u with your brother that quality time has gone for me with my dad.

part of me wants to carry it on in his name and I will, but with the current situation or last few years rather I’m struggling to find he motivation to go on my Todd and endure 

Genuinely not sure what to do 

Try not to stop going if you can afford it.

I’ve now twice gone through going not having someone I loved go with me. First my Grandad, then my Dad. My old gal takes his place to come spend time with her grandkids but it’s not the same for me. Suppose I’ve got kids to torture and already injected the DNA into but there’s hardly a game I don’t reflect to myself what the old man would think of the performance good or bad.

19 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Occasionally I have wished I had a choice, but no, I haven't.....I'm doomed for eternity.

Plus you get to meet quirky characters if you talk to them from places like Uttoxeter and then realise life could always be harder ?

On 26/02/2019 at 11:32, ossieram said:

I'll be there next season and every season after that as long as I'm physically able to attend or can afford to attend.

As much as I love to see Derby play attractive winning football, that doesn't have any bearing on my support for my club or I would have quit in the late 70's, early 80's.

I would suggest that people that only want to support a winning stylish team go and support Man city or whoever takes over from them in the future.

Yep that’s about me, though missed the glory years. Will die a Derby season ticket holder, ive never no doubt about it.

On 26/02/2019 at 15:13, Mucker1884 said:

At the end of my first ever game, we were presented with a very handsome, and very shiny, big goblet thing, and were introduced to the world as "The best football team in England".

... I have been going to matches ever since, just in case it happens again, as I don't want to miss out!

Should I walk away, after nigh on 44 years?   

Hate to break it it to you... but it ain't happening again. 

To the OP, I would say if you decide not to renew, be at peace with it.

There’s no need to feel any guilt, no need to feel conflicted.

You’re not giving up on the team and the club, and not renewing doesn’t mean you’re disloyal or some kind of turncoat.

Being a Derby fan is about so much more than turning up to Pride Park 23 times a season. The connection will never leave you. Richard Keogh will still find a way to ruin your family picnics in the Peak District.

Support the club on your own terms and don’t let anyone shame you for it.

I haven’t been a season ticket holder for 11 years and I don’t have any regrets. Life goes on and you find yourself with different priorities. 

I still love the club and wear our colours with pride wherever I may be, but I am completely fine with missing Luton at home.

Don't get the blog headline. "1 Month to save the fans"

Why have we only got 1 month? and what are we saving the fans from?  What happens in a months time, we will have played 5 league games, Villa away and 4 matches on the bounce all at home. Do you think after the month is over, all the fans will stop coming.

Its a forum and every one is entitled to give their thoughts and opinions. But I think you need to look at the bigger picture. Currently we have 7 first team players injured. Its the new manager 1st season. We have in the last 5 years been fighting at the top end of the table and that does'nt happen by playing bad. Next season our FFP situation will be better, with lots of big earners out of contract, giving us chance to bring in some fresh faces. There's 17 teams below us in the league, who wish they were in our position. Its football, its all about supporting your local team. Perhaps you are feeling a bit down due to us losing to the team down the road. What about the United fans, earlier this season getting dumped out of the League cup by some championship side when they had Jose Mourinho in charge. Its not about ONE MONTH TO SAVE THE FANS, its about you being fed up after losing to Millwall followed by losing to our rivals down the road. And you won't see exciting football from Martin O'neill's teams. Your Headline should have been "I'M FED UP AND WE HAVE ONLY 13 GAMES TO SAVE OUR SEASON"

Football fans, especially the younger generation, feel they have a divine right to success. 

And I say the younger generation because they’re able to turn their playstations and football manager off and restart the match when they lose a game 

Last few seasons now I’ve renewed due to fear of missing out if we suddenly get it together. This season while frustrating recently has shown enough promise to keep me interested, however with a 2 year old daughter and another kid imminent and a wife who is an optician and often works weekends, the pressure to not renew is mounting. Could do with some results and performances in next few weeks to sway me.

I’ll probably still renew and see how many games I can actually make it to next season before re-evaluating. I’ve managed to get to most this season (much to my wife’s annoyance) but with two kids it becomes more difficult sadly until they’re old enough to go to games.

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Last few seasons now I’ve renewed due to fear of missing out if we suddenly get it together. This season while frustrating recently has shown enough promise to keep me interested, however with a 2 year old daughter and another kid imminent and a wife who is an optician and often works weekends, the pressure to not renew is mounting. Could do with some results and performances in next few weeks to sway me.

I’ll probably still renew and see how many games I can actually make it to next season before re-evaluating. I’ve managed to get to most this season (much to my wife’s annoyance) but with two kids it becomes more difficult sadly until they’re old enough to go to games.

I'm in practically the same position. Finally somebody who seems to fully understand!

It's not a question of promotion, entertainment etc.. It's the fact that no matter how much i want to, in the end is it worth it when you weigh everything up?

Archived