1 month to save the fans..

Smyth_18

As much as it hurts to say it, i am genuinely reconsidering whether to renew my season ticket.

I'm sick of everything to do with the club;

- The new players coming in saying we are a ready made premier league club and offering absolutely nothing to get us there. Some fans are of the impression that this was always going to be a season for stability. Why does every player coming in talk about promotion being the immediate goal? It's all the manager talks about too and bringing in a 38 year old only backs that up. The fans will obviously be upset when we fail on the goals set by the players and management themselves.

- The constant call from the fans to sack the manager when it clearly isn't the source of the problem as we've been through so many.

- Tactics. What do we actually do in training? We only seem to have one plan. To play it out from the back and little else after that. We have got worse and worse in terms of tempo. Very early on in the season you could see that our defence weren't capable of playing from the back and the midfield had no capability of increasing the tempo and actually creating.

- I put myself into a small debt to not enjoy myself. If a player was asked, 'why should the fans renew their season tickets', they'd say they need our support. I give my support season after season and it makes no difference to them. Why should we pay to support them when they're not arsed? We pay to enjoy ourselves and be entertained, or at the very least see people working hard for our football club.

- i know it's only football but supporting this club seriously isn't good for mental health. We have no control over what happens. I was embarrassed last night how much it affected my mood. On a Saturday i could possibly control my own happiness by going for a long run/ walk or simply spending time with my family.

The only saving graces for me at the moment are;

- I get to spend quality time with my brother just me and him, but i'm sure we can find something else where we are not spending half the time moaning.

- The big one..... What if? What if next season is our year? What if it is and i miss it after all these years?

And that will be enough to make me renew & slightly struggle to finance.

But there will be a lot of fans out there who have simply given up, and i wouldn't blame them one bit.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

The big one..... What if? What if next season is our year? What if it is and i miss it after all these years?

That's it in a sentence! Or you could say IF we go up it'll also be another season of misery! I think all footy fans are basically masochists, we love the pain.

The club has to give the fans a clear plan of what the direction of the club is next season. At least give the fans clarity on what to expect in the coming months. It's clear to me there will be an emphasis on bringing through youth players. I'm delighted about that. For me it's more on the pitch that needs, what style are we going to play? Because we do look clueless. The major point to be addressed.

Frank has bought wisely with the money reinvested from player sales. Our most expensive signings Marriott and Waghorn are good/great Championship footballers. Malone hasn't looked great and neither has Flo Jo. So how much money has he really wasted compared with the previous managers? Rowett, Clement and Pearson bought poorly (minus Vydra) with no resale value on any players. And Frank is paying the price for his predecessors failings.

We had our chance with buying power and the club blew it. And now the club need to watch the pennies. Fans need to accept it and get behind a young manager who's willing take a chance on youth and wants to build a new squad over time.    

This forum and seeing all the convincing positive posts that we are getting there as a team is one of the main reasons I have still attended matches the last two years even though I’ve been bored out my mind under Lampard and last season under Rowett. The football has been dire to watch for me. Maybe we were spoilt watching McClaren’s football. Who knows. I didn’t mind it under Clough and in the prem under Davies because we all knew the players weren’t best but they always tried their hardest, that’s one thing you could never take away from them. This team though with all the so called stars and seeing them not perform as they should upsets me.

My advice OP would be to stop going to matches or watching the games for a few weeks to clear your head and then hope that you can rediscover your passion for it.

39 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

As much as it hurts to say it, i am genuinely reconsidering whether to renew my season ticket.

I'm sick of everything to do with the club;

- The new players coming in saying we are a ready made premier league club and offering absolutely nothing to get us there. Some fans are of the impression that this was always going to be a season for stability. Why does every player coming in talk about promotion being the immediate goal? It's all the manager talks about too and bringing in a 38 year old only backs that up. The fans will obviously be upset when we fail on the goals set by the players and management themselves.

- The constant call from the fans to sack the manager when it clearly isn't the source of the problem as we've been through so many.

- Tactics. What do we actually do in training? We only seem to have one plan. To play it out from the back and little else after that. We have got worse and worse in terms of tempo. Very early on in the season you could see that our defence weren't capable of playing from the back and the midfield had no capability of increasing the tempo and actually creating.

- I put myself into a small debt to not enjoy myself. If a player was asked, 'why should the fans renew their season tickets', they'd say they need our support. I give my support season after season and it makes no difference to them. Why should we pay to support them when they're not arsed? We pay to enjoy ourselves and be entertained, or at the very least see people working hard for our football club.

- i know it's only football but supporting this club seriously isn't good for mental health. We have no control over what happens. I was embarrassed last night how much it affected my mood. On a Saturday i could possibly control my own happiness by going for a long run/ walk or simply spending time with my family.

The only saving graces for me at the moment are;

- I get to spend quality time with my brother just me and him, but i'm sure we can find something else where we are not spending half the time moaning.

- The big one..... What if? What if next season is our year? What if it is and i miss it after all these years?

And that will be enough to make me renew & slightly struggle to finance.

But there will be a lot of fans out there who have simply given up, and i wouldn't blame them one bit.

I know lots of fans who aren't renewing after having a ST for years. I'm on the fence. 

Good post, you sum it up very well. 

24 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I know lots of fans who aren't renewing after having a ST for years. I'm on the fence. 

Good post, you sum it up very well. 

The title should be changed to "..... Save some fan....."

Yes, some will fall out of love and walk away, some fickle "fan" will not renew because we have failed to gain promotion and others will not be able to renew for  other reason (financial, work etc). But, I suspect the majority (myself included) would renew pretty much regardless of performances or league position (I'd renew even if we were relegated).

I personally don't know any (let alone lots) who aren't renewing. 

If you aren’t enjoying it (and don’t think you will) don’t buy a season ticket; if you are enjoying it (or think you will) then buy a season ticket (assuming you can afford it... and if you can’t then don’t ).  Not that complicated.

I want to see us do well, but my buying of a ticket is not predicated on where we are in the league, what league we are in, what my expectations are, how much information the club is giving me about their plans, whether or not we are bringing youngsters through, whether we’ve signed too many old/young/loan signings, how much or little we’ve spent etc.  I buy a season ticket because I support DCFC and I enjoy going to the footy.  Until I’m too skint, too old or too far away to enjoy it anymore then I’ll be getting one.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

The title should be changed to "..... Save some fan....."

Yes, some will fall out of love and walk away, some fickle "fan" will not renew because we have failed to gain promotion and others will not be able to renew for  other reason (financial, work etc). But, I suspect the majority (myself included) would renew pretty much regardless of performances or league position (I'd renew even if we were relegated).

I personally don't know any (let alone lots) who aren't renewing. 

Ok it’s relative. I go with about 10 people every week. Seven aren’t renewing. In that group that’s a lot. May be not replicated wider, but may be. But because they’re not going I’m now considering as frankly if all I went for was the football I’d have stopped a long time ago. 

Overall you’re probably right and numbers won’t be hugely affected across the board. I’m feeling it at a ‘local’ level though.

It pi$$es me off where we have to pay to watch the team upwards of £20-25 for each game and its us fans that should be the ones to lift the players whilst they are on the pitch, as some supporters think.

I'm sorry but when I go to watch a band play at Nottingham Arena, they don't sit on a stool and not perform until the crowd start singing their name.

FFS - if we didnt pay to watch I can understand but we pay hard earned money to be 'entertained'. 

Not one single supporter who walks through that turnstile should be classed as a $poo supporter if they dont sing or clap for 90 minutes.

Just their attendance is giving their full 100% support.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Think that’s a pretty poor response to be honest. Very decent post even if you disagree. 

Is it?

Some people haven’t got a choice and can’t attend matches due to geninue ill health, therefore I’m off the opinion that if the reason you want to go is solely because of success then duck off now please. Football is not about 90 minutes for me, and if the negative poo coming out of posters if this results in FL being sacked will have an impact on my overall enjoyment at the game, therefore thanks for coming and take your half and half scarf with you.

I mean, what if next year is our year, seriously, have a thought for all them Notts county, or Accrington Stanley fans, and once again if it’s guaranteed success you want... ? 

I'll be there next season and every season after that as long as I'm physically able to attend or can afford to attend.

As much as I love to see Derby play attractive winning football, that doesn't have any bearing on my support for my club or I would have quit in the late 70's, early 80's.

I would suggest that people that only want to support a winning stylish team go and support Man city or whoever takes over from them in the future.

9 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

It pi$$es me off where we have to pay to watch the team upwards of £20-25 for each game and its us fans that should be the ones to lift the players whilst they are on the pitch, as some supporters think.

I'm sorry but when I go to watch a band play at Nottingham Arena, they don't sit on a stool and not perform until the crowd start singing their name.

FFS - if we didnt pay to watch I can understand but we pay hard earned money to be 'entertained'. 

Not one single supporter who walks through that turnstile should be classed as a $poo supporter if they dont sing or clap for 90 minutes.

Just their attendance is giving their full 100% support.

Nobody forces you to go. If it upsets you so much, find another hobby.

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Frank has bought wisely with the money reinvested from player sales.

Sorry, don't agree on this. It's his first season and I'm inclined to forgive him a little but I can't accept this as true

Malone, Josefzoon, Waghorn, Holmes - no improvement on what came before

Evans, Cole, Ambrose - too early to say

Marriott - yes, great buy

Loans is a much better story:

Mount, Tomori, Wilson - good

King - somewhere between too early to say and not convinced

In general, it needs to improve if we are to improve - let's hope it does and next season is the season. I don't agree on the title of one month to save the fans, we always said that Frank would need a season to settle in. If we end up top half, and above Forest, we can take that as a fair first pass. But next year is the year.

31 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Is it?

Some people haven’t got a choice and can’t attend matches due to geninue ill health, therefore I’m off the opinion that if the reason you want to go is solely because of success then duck off now please. Football is not about 90 minutes for me, and if the negative poo coming out of posters if this results in FL being sacked will have an impact on my overall enjoyment at the game, therefore thanks for coming and take your half and half scarf with you.

I mean, what if next year is our year, seriously, have a thought for all them Notts county, or Accrington Stanley fans, and once again if it’s guaranteed success you want... ? 

I addressed all of this..

Archived