Derbyshire Cricket 2019

eddie

37 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

What do we reckon? Another 100 be tough to chase down or is the pitch flattening out?

Derbyshire are in a strong position, but it is by no means decisive. A lead of 133 with 7 second innings wickets in hand is very useful in context of how things have gone so far, but Tom Lace has had very few problems in the second innings so far, surviving and at times flourishing, even as the light closed in towards the end of Day 2. It has been a game of very few partnerships of note, but significantly there have been three of 50 or more (56, 50 and 50) - all for Derbyshire.

I don't think the wicket is a minefield by any means, but it has proved to be helpful to the seamers from both teams, and even towards the end of the second day, the ball beat the bat or spent a lot of its time whistling down to third man. It's been damned cold watching this game, but it has been thoroughly enjoyable. No predictions from me, but so far, the decision to bat first by Billy Godleman has been vindicated - just. Let's hope that remains the case.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Hosein passes 50 again, looks a real player does the lad.

I was calling for him to play all of last season instead of Smit, who's glovework is exceptional but who's batting was very poor. Hosein is a class act, can't see him sticking around for much longer than a couple of years unfortunately.

Frustrating final session yesterday, as Durham put up the shutters in the last hour.

Logic suggests a draw, but a couple of early wickets could let Derbyshire in. 

The weather forecast suggests that there will be a wet end to the day, so things need to happen quickly. Critchley could be a key player, and with a big lead, he could afford to give the Durham batsmen plenty of company.

My money's on a draw - it's also on a couple of nice tripels being sampled.

53 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Guess the decision to bat first was the correct one then.  Good start to the season.

As I said with my Boycott hat on, under most circumstances you would choose to bat - the exceptions usually prove to be weather-related (i.e. damp, humid conditions at the start but with a decent forecast for Day 2). Once Durham failed to gain a first-innings lead, the home side were in the driver's seat, and from lunch on Day 3, a Derbyshire win was always either the most likely or second-most likely outcome - with Durham needing to register the highest innings score batting last, for them to win would have been a tall ask.

The turning-point today came with Jack Burnham and Gareth Harte seemingly set and putting together a partnership that had me checking net run rates and overs remaining. Wayne Madsen was brought on to replace Matt Critchley and Logan van Beek pulled off an absolutely stunning one-handed catch at silly mid on to remove the dangerous Burnham - and then in the next two overs the New Zealander/Dutchman castled Harte before getting Stuart Poynter to edge one through to Harvey Hosein.

After that, it was a procession - although the last pair did survive a frustrating period of 10 overs before I 'took one for the team' by going for a wee and missed seeing the last wicket fall on what would have otherwise been the last ball before tea.

14 hours ago, eddie said:

As I said with my Boycott hat on, under most circumstances you would choose to bat - the exceptions usually prove to be weather-related (i.e. damp, humid conditions at the start but with a decent forecast for Day 2). Once Durham failed to gain a first-innings lead, the home side were in the driver's seat, and from lunch on Day 3, a Derbyshire win was always either the most likely or second-most likely outcome - with Durham needing to register the highest innings score batting last, for them to win would have been a tall ask.

The turning-point today came with Jack Burnham and Gareth Harte seemingly set and putting together a partnership that had me checking net run rates and overs remaining. Wayne Madsen was brought on to replace Matt Critchley and Logan van Beek pulled off an absolutely stunning one-handed catch at silly mid on to remove the dangerous Burnham - and then in the next two overs the New Zealander/Dutchman castled Harte before getting Stuart Poynter to edge one through to Harvey Hosein.

After that, it was a procession - although the last pair did survive a frustrating period of 10 overs before I 'took one for the team' by going for a wee and missed seeing the last wicket fall on what would have otherwise been the last ball before tea.

So actually, following the posts through the days, it was a good see-saw match as the mood swung from disappointment at Derbys 1st innings, through recovery into the ascendancy, then frustration and betting on a draw, only to see us prevail in the end.

Good start to the season 2 wins out of 2?

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

So actually, following the posts through the days, it was a good see-saw match as the mood swung from disappointment at Derbys 1st innings, through recovery into the ascendancy, then frustration and betting on a draw, only to see us prevail in the end.

Good start to the season 2 wins out of 2?

Pretty much, yes. There was a general recognition that as the weather improved, batting conditions would become slightly easier, but coupled with that, pitches rarely improve with age, and so it turned out with spin making a significant contribution on the final day. It was a very good cricket wicket, at least applying my own terms for determining what constitutes good cricket. I don't want to see 600-3 and the bowlers being ground into the dust, but I do want to see batsmen getting their heads down and battling, putting the occasional bad ball away - and that's how it panned out.

There is one thing that is missing in Derbyshire's county championship side at the moment - a real "Hurry up" bowler. As the early-season greenish wickets and dewy mornings give way to more summer-like conditions, it would be nice to be able to call on a real speedster to shake batsmen up with raw pace. Given the choice of anyone in world cricket, I would plump for our old friend, Lockie Ferguson.

29 minutes ago, eddie said:

Pretty much, yes. There was a general recognition that as the weather improved, batting conditions would become slightly easier, but coupled with that, pitches rarely improve with age, and so it turned out with spin making a significant contribution on the final day. It was a very good cricket wicket, at least applying my own terms for determining what constitutes good cricket. I don't want to see 600-3 and the bowlers being ground into the dust, but I do want to see batsmen getting their heads down and battling, putting the occasional bad ball away - and that's how it panned out.

There is one thing that is missing in Derbyshire's county championship side at the moment - a real "Hurry up" bowler. As the early-season greenish wickets and dewy mornings give way to more summer-like conditions, it would be nice to be able to call on a real speedster to shake batsmen up with raw pace. Given the choice of anyone in world cricket, I would plump for our old friend, Lockie Ferguson.

Ole Mortensen was the man in my youth......

20 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Ole Mortensen was the man in my youth......

For me, the man in my youth was Harold Rhodes.

7 hours ago, eddie said:

For me, the man in my youth was Harold Rhodes.

My old school cricket teacher Eddie. Lovely fella. 

And thanks for the updates. No chance to watch any cricket up here in Lapland so following you and BBC updates are most appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

My old school cricket teacher Eddie. Lovely fella. 

And thanks for the updates. No chance to watch any cricket up here in Lapland so following you and BBC updates are most appreciated. 

http://cricket.derbyshireccc.com/match-centre/

The above link tends to show ball-by-ball video coverage of Derbyshire home games (you might have to search for it when the game is on). There are two static cameras, one at each end of the ground, showing a wicket-to-wicket display (behind the bowler's arm). The quality seems to be pretty good (Go-Pro cameras from an elevated position?). I have no idea whether it is just championship games or whether it is all matches from the County Ground.

There was one game last year where it looked as though rain had brought proceedings to a premature close, so we went home - only for the game to re-start about 4 hours later. We watched the last two wickets fall to give Derbyshire victory. Not as good as being there, but better than watching ball-by-ball text coverage on Cricinfo.

http://cricket.derbyshireccc.com/category/videos/

I notice that highlights of the recent game are on there at the moment - enjoy.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

http://cricket.derbyshireccc.com/match-centre/

The above link tends to show ball-by-ball video coverage of Derbyshire home games (you might have to search for it when the game is on). There are two static cameras, one at each end of the ground, showing a wicket-to-wicket display (behind the bowler's arm). The quality seems to be pretty good (Go-Pro cameras from an elevated position?). I have no idea whether it is just championship games or whether it is all matches from the County Ground.

There was one game last year where it looked as though rain had brought proceedings to a premature close, so we went home - only for the game to re-start about 4 hours later. We watched the last two wickets fall to give Derbyshire victory. Not as good as being there, but better than watching ball-by-ball text coverage on Cricinfo.

http://cricket.derbyshireccc.com/category/videos/

I notice that highlights of the recent game are on there at the moment - enjoy.

You are a star mate. My Swedish colleagues can now question more strange sports im watching. 

10 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

You are a star mate. My Swedish colleagues can now question more strange sports im watching. 

Tell them "Bork" from me.

1725973702_swedishchef.jpg.dfb9803af225852b213d99e8e2785c02.jpg

Archived