Jump to content
eddie

Derbyshire Cricket 2019

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Derbyshire won the toss

Have they cancelled that silly rule where the away team can insert the opposition without a toss?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Have they cancelled that silly rule where the away team can insert the opposition without a toss?

I was praying we would win the toss and put them in and had to take a double check when I saw we had won the toss and batted...in the worst conditions of the match, overcast, damp pitch......madness.....

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was praying we would win the toss and put them in and had to take a double check when I saw we had won the toss and batted...in the worst conditions of the match, overcast, damp pitch......madness.....

That's why I'm wondering whether there was actually no toss.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Carnero said:

That's why I'm wondering whether there was actually no toss.

Beggars belief and will probably cost us the match if we did win the toss and chose to bat.....

Edited by Jimbo Ram

Share this post


Link to post
eddie
16 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Critchley & Hosein finally get a partnership going.

Critchley out.

In fairness, the weather forecast was for much brighter conditions than has occurred. It's blooming cold, and I wish I'd brought soup.

Hosein still fighting, but 128-6 is not good. Aaaaand the sun's come out. And gone back in again.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Critchley out.

In fairness, the weather forecast was for much brighter conditions than has occurred. It's blooming cold, and I wish I'd brought soup.

Hosein still fighting, but 128-6 is not good. Aaaaand the sun's come out. And gone back in again.

I should have learned to stop jinxing our batsmen by now 🤦‍♂️

Nooe, this is really not how you want to start the season.

Share this post


Link to post
eddie

Anuj Dal out after he and Hosein added a useful 50 for the 7th wicket. Enter Logan Van Beek, with the lowest crouch at the wicket I have seen since Basharat Hassan.

177-7.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, eddie said:

Anuj Dal out after he and Hosein added a useful 50 for the 7th wicket. Enter Logan Van Beek, with the lowest crouch at the wicket I have seen since Basharat Hassan.

177-7.

have we got a batting point yet?

Share this post


Link to post
eddie

When bad light stopped play, Durham were 41-3, so I reckon that even though Derbyshire would have been disappointed with only making 197, they probably just about shaded the first day.

Back home now, warming up. It was a typical first week in April day at the Racecourse - blooming parky.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, eddie said:

When bad light stopped play, Durham were 41-3, so I reckon that even though Derbyshire would have been disappointed with only making 197, they probably just about shaded the first day.

Back home now, warming up. It was a typical first week in April day at the Racecourse - blooming parky.

It's colder in Hampshire than most of Jan and Feb. 🤨

Share this post


Link to post
eddie
12 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

It's colder in Hampshire than most of Jan and Feb. 🤨

There's Hampshire cold, elsewhere cold and Derbyshire County Cricket Club cold. It was cold enough today to freeze Michael Holding's Daiquiris.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, eddie said:

When bad light stopped play, Durham were 41-3, so I reckon that even though Derbyshire would have been disappointed with only making 197, they probably just about shaded the first day.

Back home now, warming up. It was a typical first week in April day at the Racecourse - blooming parky.

Why do you think we elected to bat first Eddie? Very surprising in those conditions surely?

Share this post


Link to post
eddie
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why do you think we elected to bat first Eddie? Very surprising in those conditions surely?

Don't know. The weather forecast yesterday (and I checked the radar) seemed to indicate that the cloud would lift after an hour or so - and it wasn't murky, there was no rain in the air - just a bit of cloud cover. The fact that Derbyshire's top order all went early belies the fact that after the first hour, the middle order were, by and large, able to perform reasonably.

It may well prove to be a mistake, but the old adage about not really knowing whether the decision was right until both sides have batted holds true here. If Durham are rolled for a similar total or less, then it will have been the right decision. If they make 250 plus, then it will have been the wrong decision. At the end of the day, unless it's a screaming green top, you should bat if you get the opportunity. Even if it's a screaming green top, you should think about it, consider all options - and then bat in most circumstances. I guess that's the Geoff Boycott in me talking there.

Edited by eddie

Share this post


Link to post
eddie

Still very evenly poised with Durham taking lunch at 106-6. From here on in, one session could define the rest of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
eddie

At tea, Derbyshire are 45-2 with Reece and Godleman back in the hutch. That first innings lead of 26 is very useful.

Today's Belgian beer is Tripel d'Anvers, and very nice it is too.

Mark Wood is Durham's 12th man today - glad he is too. He destroyed Derbyshire here last season.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.