Derbyshire Cricket 2019

eddie

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Have they cancelled that silly rule where the away team can insert the opposition without a toss?

I was praying we would win the toss and put them in and had to take a double check when I saw we had won the toss and batted...in the worst conditions of the match, overcast, damp pitch......madness.....

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was praying we would win the toss and put them in and had to take a double check when I saw we had won the toss and batted...in the worst conditions of the match, overcast, damp pitch......madness.....

That's why I'm wondering whether there was actually no toss.

16 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Critchley & Hosein finally get a partnership going.

Critchley out.

In fairness, the weather forecast was for much brighter conditions than has occurred. It's blooming cold, and I wish I'd brought soup.

Hosein still fighting, but 128-6 is not good. Aaaaand the sun's come out. And gone back in again.

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

Critchley out.

In fairness, the weather forecast was for much brighter conditions than has occurred. It's blooming cold, and I wish I'd brought soup.

Hosein still fighting, but 128-6 is not good. Aaaaand the sun's come out. And gone back in again.

I should have learned to stop jinxing our batsmen by now ?‍♂️

Nooe, this is really not how you want to start the season.

Anuj Dal out after he and Hosein added a useful 50 for the 7th wicket. Enter Logan Van Beek, with the lowest crouch at the wicket I have seen since Basharat Hassan.

177-7.

When bad light stopped play, Durham were 41-3, so I reckon that even though Derbyshire would have been disappointed with only making 197, they probably just about shaded the first day.

Back home now, warming up. It was a typical first week in April day at the Racecourse - blooming parky.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

When bad light stopped play, Durham were 41-3, so I reckon that even though Derbyshire would have been disappointed with only making 197, they probably just about shaded the first day.

Back home now, warming up. It was a typical first week in April day at the Racecourse - blooming parky.

It's colder in Hampshire than most of Jan and Feb. ?

12 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

It's colder in Hampshire than most of Jan and Feb. ?

There's Hampshire cold, elsewhere cold and Derbyshire County Cricket Club cold. It was cold enough today to freeze Michael Holding's Daiquiris.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Why do you think we elected to bat first Eddie? Very surprising in those conditions surely?

12 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why do you think we elected to bat first Eddie? Very surprising in those conditions surely?

Don't know. The weather forecast yesterday (and I checked the radar) seemed to indicate that the cloud would lift after an hour or so - and it wasn't murky, there was no rain in the air - just a bit of cloud cover. The fact that Derbyshire's top order all went early belies the fact that after the first hour, the middle order were, by and large, able to perform reasonably.

It may well prove to be a mistake, but the old adage about not really knowing whether the decision was right until both sides have batted holds true here. If Durham are rolled for a similar total or less, then it will have been the right decision. If they make 250 plus, then it will have been the wrong decision. At the end of the day, unless it's a screaming green top, you should bat if you get the opportunity. Even if it's a screaming green top, you should think about it, consider all options - and then bat in most circumstances. I guess that's the Geoff Boycott in me talking there.

Still very evenly poised with Durham taking lunch at 106-6. From here on in, one session could define the rest of the game.

At tea, Derbyshire are 45-2 with Reece and Godleman back in the hutch. That first innings lead of 26 is very useful.

Today's Belgian beer is Tripel d'Anvers, and very nice it is too.

Mark Wood is Durham's 12th man today - glad he is too. He destroyed Derbyshire here last season.

Archived