Can derby win fa cup and promation

B4ev6is

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How do you play at 50% out of interest? 

Do you only run half as fast?

Kick the ball half as hard as normal? 

Tackle half as hard as normal?

If they had played at 100% would it have been 10-0?

Do enough to win the game but not reach their limits , I.e focus on having more fun with the ball or treating it more as a training exercise for the games ahead, not playing with the same intensity as if it was a big game like they did against Liverpool, having more long shots than they normally would, avoiding needless 50/50s etc

Although the 50% was simply an expression to say they weren’t at their best but still strolled.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Derby haven't actually beaten any of the Premier League sides they've played this season within the confines of normal time, and they played United at exactly the right time to get a draw at Old Trafford - United as they are playing under Solksjaer would batter this Derby side.

Additionally, whilst it is true a lot of Premier League sides have gone out, there is still Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and City - all of whom could field weakened sides which would turn over any Championship club.

Derby have almost zero chance of winning this season's FA Cup.

Promotion is possible via. the playoffs, but they need to make sure they avoid the annual post-January slump (I think they will) before even a finish in the top six can be  confidently entertained.

Well, that told us.

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

You answered your own question there mate. The tie was over, they have a lot of games left so they were probably saving themselves. If they needed to, they would have upped the tempo. 

Man City hammered Burnley 5-0 yesterday playing at about 50% and I doubt Guardiola will make the same mistake he did last year. Even if Guardiola by the off chance completely changed his team, their ‘b’ team at the moment contains Kompany, Otamendi, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Jesus and Mahrez.

It’s nice to dream but we need to be realistic, if we come up against them, especially at the ethiad then it’s game over. 

If we get a lucky draw though then we might make the quarters.

Wigan beat Man City in last year's FA Cup. We're a better side than Wigan,

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Do enough to win the game but not reach their limits , I.e focus on having more fun with the ball or treating it more as a training exercise for the games ahead, not playing with the same intensity as if it was a big game like they did against Liverpool, having more long shots than they normally would, avoiding needless 50/50s etc

Although the 50% was simply an expression to say they weren’t at their best but still strolled.

They won the same score in the league match, so were they not taking that seriously?

I think the last couple of weeks show that Guardiola doesn't take any competition lightly. 

Of course if the stats from yesterday prove different, I will gladly admit that I am wrong but not sure how you can pass a comment about how much effort a team has put into a match that you've probably not even watched.

mmm nope and nope i think!!

Be nice to get - Brentford, Wimbledon or Donny at home tomorrow  - and get ourselves into the sixth round...

6th is an apt number for me  - as that is the highest i reckon we will finish in the table also

Play offs then....

Up the Rams

If we get a Man City / Liverpool / Spurs next round - there's a decent chance they rest players, so our odds go up.

But if, hypothetically, we do progress into the last 8 or beyond, its very unlikely they rest anyone. Once you get to those stages they don't care about the opposition, it's the quarter final/semi final/final of a major competition, they'll play their strongest side. At that point the odds are massively in their favour.

That being said, anyone *can* win it - but whether your one of the best teams in the world, or your Derby, or your in league 1 - you have to take every game as it comes. Look too far ahead and it can stifle the enjoyment round-to-round, you don't focus on the game you've just won but instead all the games your hope says you're going to win, and it also increases the level of disappointment should we go out.

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Wigan beat Man City in last year's FA Cup. We're a better side than Wigan,

Which is why he won’t make the same mistakes and we are a completely different side to Wigan. Wigan did a Rowett and shithoused in that game. Seeing how Lampard sets his teams out, he’d never go that defensive. 

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They won the same score in the league match, so were they not taking that seriously?

I think the last couple of weeks show that Guardiola doesn't take any competition lightly. 

Of course if the stats from yesterday prove different, I will gladly admit that I am wrong but not sure how you can pass a comment about how much effort a team has put into a match that you've probably not even watched.

That could be attributed to Burnley not playing as well as they could have, their main focus is staying up in the premier league.  There’s a difference between not taking a competition lightly and not playing their best when they don’t need to. City b team let alone best team could beat most of the teams left in the competition. Let’s be realistic here, Kompany, Otamendi, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Mahrez , Mendy and Gabriel Jesus would get into most if not all the top 6 six teams in the premier league yet they are regularly subs for Man City.

The question is can Derby win the Fa cup and gain promotion? Yes because we are still in contention for both.

The same could be said whether panama could have won the World Cup. Yes they could have because they were in it.

Will they is an entirely different question though.

My view is take one game at a time. I know it’s a cliche but it’s true. Some may be underestimating how tough it will be to make the play offs. Blackburn and Bristol City are doing really well at the moment and we’ve still got to play both away from home, those games will be massive. Bristol especially may be doing a ‘Fulham’ of last season, they haven’t lost since November (which was against Leeds)

With decent draws anyone can make it to the final, but inevitably we will have to play a big boy (City), and there is a huge difference between playing big teams in an earlier round when they play half a team, and playing one at Wembley in the final. For that reason, its highly unlikely, but it think we'd all take a day out at Wembley regardless. 

As for promotion, i'd be surprised if we didn't make the play-offs, and at that point it is anyone's guess who goes up. Would love to be proven wrong but it doesn't look like we've got anywhere near a good enough team for top 2. 

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

If we get a Man City / Liverpool / Spurs next round - there's a decent chance they rest players, so our odds go up.

But if, hypothetically, we do progress into the last 8 or beyond, its very unlikely they rest anyone. Once you get to those stages they don't care about the opposition, it's the quarter final/semi final/final of a major competition, they'll play their strongest side. At that point the odds are massively in their favour.

That being said, anyone *can* win it - but whether your one of the best teams in the world, or your Derby, or your in league 1 - you have to take every game as it comes. Look too far ahead and it can stifle the enjoyment round-to-round, you don't focus on the game you've just won but instead all the games your hope says you're going to win, and it also increases the level of disappointment should we go out.

Doubt we'll get Liverpool. 

We have about a 1% chance of winning the Fa cup and about a 20% chance of promotion I would say, getting in the play offs and the quarter finals would mean a decent season and depending on the draw we get, we have a good chance of both.  The chance of us winning the cup and getting promoted would be about 1/500 I would say , if we are to be realistic about it.

Every now and then a team gets a pretty clear run in a cup competition - think Croatia / England at the last WC. To quote every football commentator who has ever donned a sheepskin jacket - in cup football anything is possible. Ipswich, Wimbledon, Denmark, Portugal, Wigan and others can bear testimony to that. So, to answer the OP - yup, we can win the Cup but, to do so, the Gods will have had more say than Frank and Jody (if they are not one and the same).

For promotion I would say we are in an unusually tough era now. Feeling a bit like the Andy Murray of Championship clubs we can rightly claim that had we be born in a different era we'd have this by the neck. There are some good teams out there, plenty, and it's really hard to see how we can break away as one of the top two. Which means we are likely dependent on the play offs - to which my answer lies in the first paragraph.

But - for the first time in a long while - I really do think we can beat anyone on the right day and that is what makes it a whole barrel load of fun.

Archived