When were DCFC nicknamed the Rams

FindernRam

The LA Rams reference in another thread reminded me of several seasons ago.: A stranger of US origin sat next to me one game. Got in early to an empty stadium so he could have a picture of the East Stand showing "The RAMS" showing in the empty seats. Turned out he was from LA. After a bit of chat and banter he asked why we had "stolen" their name?

I explained a bit about our history and how they were still an uncivilised bunch of wild west cowboys when we were formed, and how they stole their name from Cleveland which was formed in the thirties. I don't think they do nicknames like we do, putting something macho into the team name to start with. But it got me thinking; I know the history of the crest/badge and the link to a militia outfit, but not found anything to say when we started to use the nickname.

Does anybody know?

Incidentally, he had never been to a "soccer" game before and was seriously impressed with the pace of the game and some of the individual skills displayed. He did think our seats were all a bit close together- I told him it was to keep us warm when it dropped below zero. 'course I meant Celsius and he was thinking Fahrenheit! 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea how accurate this is...

The reason the Rams are called the Rams dates back to the 1800s. When Derbyshire County Cricket Club was formed they chose to incorporate a ram’s head into their club badge because of the historical link between Derbyshire and the woollen industry. When the cricket club formed the football club, they adopted the same badge, which over the years has evolved into the badge it is today, from a ram’s head on a shield to the stylised image currently used.

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/derby-county/

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Tell the yank to flock off!

Stealing their name? I’ve not forgot them lot for chucking all our tea bags into the sea!

And they canna spell right anorl.

My French teacher watched the 1966 World Cup final in America and towards the end of normal time the American commentators kept reminding viewers “Remember folks there are no “time outs” in this game. “ ?

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

The reason the Rams are called the Rams dates back to the 1800s. When Derbyshire County Cricket Club was formed they chose to incorporate a ram’s head into their club badge because of the historical link between Derbyshire and the woollen industry. When the cricket club formed the football club, they adopted the same badge, which over the years has evolved into the badge it is today, from a ram’s head on a shield to the stylised image currently used.

I'm not sure about that, if you look through old pictures none of them show us with a badge, even the FA Cup winners had plain shirts.

I'd be interested too if anyone can come up with anything definitive.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

6 minutes ago, curb said:

I'm not sure about that, if you look through old pictures none of them show us with a badge, even the FA Cup winners had plain shirts.

That beautiful history goes on to talk about another important factor, which is the 18th century folk song "The Derby Ram"

What they don't mention is that ballad was adopted as the regimental song of the 1st Derbyshire militia (1855), and a Ram became their mascot. It stayed the tradition through all iterations of the Derbyshire militia and was adopted by future (and current) regiments via regimental amalgamations. 

I'm finding it difficult to find any images of any early Derbyshire CCC crests, but assuming that is true, I still think the reason both early Derbyshire CCC and Derby County are linked to the Ram is because Derbyshire has always been linked to the ram for 200 years, and therefore the credit of why we are the Rams should go to that history - rather than "because we took the same badge". That certainly should not be the story of the origin of our nickname, as it's far deeper than that.

It seems highly likely to me that, if Derby County had not been an off-shoot of Derbyshire CCC - we'd still be called The Rams.

44 minutes ago, curb said:

Harry storer in 1923 wearing the first derby club badge on his shirt, it had a rams head, a rose and a buck in the park, the buck in the park represented the town of Derby, the rams head represented the team and the rose and the crown represented the county of Derbyshire, the rose and the crown were also the badge of the cricket club (from whence we came).

the badge was created by the famous badge makers and designers of the times the Fattorinni brothers.

all of this fascinating kind of stuff will be found in the new book that I am working on with the Dcfc collection about the history of the Derby County shirt !

35AF5453-F89B-48C3-ACC7-B9C2BA9E106A.jpeg

40 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Harry storer in 1923 wearing the first derby club badge on his shirt, it had a rams head, a rose and a buck in the park, the buck in the park represented the town of Derby, the rams head represented the team and the rose and the crown represented the county of Derbyshire, the rose and the crown were also the badge of the cricket club (from whence we came).

the badge was created by the famous badge makers and designers of the times the Fattorinni brothers.

all of this fascinating kind of stuff will be found in the new book that I am working on with the Dcfc collection about the history of the Derby County shirt !

Just brilliant. We're lucky to have you on the forum. ?

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Fascinating stuff, it looks to me like the badge was dropped again after a few years, until after ww2, any idea why?

33 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Just brilliant. We're lucky to have you on the forum. ?

Were all lucky to have each other mate ! One big happy family ! ?

The badge was only worn for a few years, it then developed into this badge that was used on letter headings etc, I’ve included the Derbyshire cricket club badge for comparison, I’m sure that you can guess what then replaced the crown and the rose ? It was dc fc this was then put pack on the shirt after the 1946 fa cup win and it then went to just the rams head at the end of the 60s then onto the proud snorting ram in 1971.

F86BB163-FBC2-4571-B076-C0B6EBFF89FE.jpeg

E12A60DB-7019-423C-B976-019C215F6153.jpeg

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

I had a feeling you might be able to respond in your usual knowledgeable manner! 

However let me expand the question a little more. The badge/club crest etc is brilliant info, but my original point was the use of the nickname. For example do any of your sources refer to the "Rams" instead of Derby ,if so how early in our history. 

I guess in a wider context when did other clubs acquire theirs or indeed people? A cultural enigma perhaps.

12 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I had a feeling you might be able to respond in your usual knowledgeable manner! 

However let me expand the question a little more. The badge/club crest etc is brilliant info, but my original point was the use of the nickname. For example do any of your sources refer to the "Rams" instead of Derby ,if so how early in our history. 

I guess in a wider context when did other clubs acquire theirs or indeed people? A cultural enigma perhaps.

I think @SaintRam nailed that one ! ?

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Bloody hell @Loweman2 give it a rest. 

We've played at Pride park longer than the "Rams" have played in LA in their second stint.

The LA/Cleveland/St. Louis Rams have bounced between 3 different cities and gets its name from a team in another city entirely from the looks of it - its like Milton Keynes times a thousand over there, but its every team instead of just one.

14 hours ago, loweman2 said:

I hope that is the one with no mention of the red away shirt ?

Archived