Keogh's Derby promotion crusade

Carl Sagan

17 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Tells us he's been going since '75 so it's true what they say - there's no fool like an old fool.

I have to say Wolfie i don't think Keogh makes the top 10 of Central Defenders i have seen in a Derby Shirt.

Mackay, McFarland, Todd, Stimac, Wright, Laursen, Dailly, Hindamarch, McClaren and West.

He is No11 though !!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, unclej said:

I think he might go through his entire career leaving some to believe its enough to show passion, without having any ability or concentration.  It's remarkable.

Derby fru & fru though.

I wish I was as clever as you and knew more about football than McClaren, Rowett, Lampard, Wassall, Clough jnr and Clement ??? as well as various national managers and players ??? must be nice being that intelligent. 

3 hours ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

I have to say Wolfie i don't think Keogh makes the top 10 of Central Defenders i have seen in a Derby Shirt.

Mackay, McFarland, Todd, Stimac, Wright, Laursen, Dailly, Hindamarch, McClaren and West.

He is No11 though !!!

You forgot McGrath. But, I think Keogh is better than Ross McClaren or is my memory fading?

22 hours ago, unclej said:

He's not even the best defender in a Derby No.6 shirt. 

I'm glad you ladies all think things are OK and that our Richard is a safe pair of hands. Let's hope some like minded manager comes in for him this summer.

Mark my words and I've said it for 5yrs;

'We'll never go up with Richard Keogh at the back'.

But I've come to realise it's probably for the best.

Well duck me. I was going to argue, but if YOU'VE said it for 5 years, it must be true.

I don't understand what game you've been watching if you think Keogh wasn't by some distance one of our best players this season, and one of the best defenders in this league. 

I'd like to say you'll miss him when he's gone, but you blatantly won't, because Keogh detractors on the whole are incapable of seeing reason on the issue or acknowledge his contributions.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a player split the fan base as much as Captain Keogh does. Depending on who you ask he is either the best defender in the league or a complete liability....personally I think he Is somewhere within that spectrum but definitely falling closer to the edge of
"liability" than "greatness"

I thought he was a lot better at the end of last season than he has been for ages....still nowhere near good enough though and I just read someone saying he is in the top 10 for defenders they have seen in a Rams shirt......give me strength..

21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I thought he was a lot better at the end of last season than he has been for ages....still nowhere near good enough though and I just read someone saying he is in the top 10 for defenders they have seen in a Rams shirt......give me strength..

We got relegated from the Premier League (the first time) 17 years ago

I reckon if you're under 25 you won't have seen much before that so could easily be the case that Keogh is in the top 10 they've ever seen

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I reckon if you're under 25 you won't have seen much before that so could easily be the case that Keogh is in the top 10 they've ever seen

Aye I'm in my mid-twenties, and if I just try to name 10 defenders I can remember I start getting into some pretty atrocious players ?

Keogh's undoubtedly in my top 10. When I was a young kid I didn't really get to see Derby, I just read the game summaries in the paper. 
So I've only really got... the last 15 years. I went to the odd game before that, I think I may have even gotten to one or two prem games but asking me to remember how good anyone was is a hiding to nothing.

Keogh is probably in my top 3, purely because of that.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

that's really really sad isn't it..? He wouldn't make it into my top 50 defenders I have seen..

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

that's really really sad isn't it..? He wouldn't make it into my top 50 defenders I have seen..

I think he'd be inside my top 10 CBs in a Derby shirt (probably...) and I've been watching (properly) for more like 25 years

I think we get a bit ahead of ourselves when reviewing these players though - In the last 15 years we've mostly been a decent to good championship side - And in that context Keogh has been at/above the level of player for our level - Comparing him to McFarland or Stimac isn't fair

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I think he'd be inside my top 10 CBs in a Derby shirt (probably...) and I've been watching (properly) for more like 25 years

I think we get a bit ahead of ourselves when reviewing these players though - In the last 15 years we've mostly been a decent to good championship side - And in that context Keogh has been at/above the level of player for our level - Comparing him to McFarland or Stimac isn't fair

Completely agree the point I was trying (badly) to make was I have watched the Rams for 52 years and in that time we have probably had 25-30 consistent centre backs (some of the best ever) I forgot Mcgrath tbh.

Keogh whilst not quite in the Stimac, McFarland class he is in the level below, prone to error , however I wouldn't swap him for many if any current championship defenders.

The fact there is only 10/11 better in that time  is testament of how good he is.

Tell you what, in the spirit of reconciliation, I will make you all a deal.  I will give the lad every benefit of every doubt during the up-coming early season games. In return I ask you to just watch him when the goals go in. Watch the boggle eyed staring ball watching, the flat foot mis-passing, notice the withering criticism of his team mates when he is culpable and look for him completely out of position. 

Tries his heart out for Derby though. No one tries harder. Always gives 100%...blah, blah, blah...

I have no strong views about Keogh. He makes errors and last ditch blocks. He is an above-average Championship centre half and an average captain who puts in a lot of effort and cares about his work. I don't see him as a legend but I really do rate his effort for the club. I think that he'd struggle in the prem - but he'd not be alone in that!

On the claim that no managers have dropped Keogh. I think that Clement did just that shortly before Mel sacked him.

I may be wrong but think that Rush made reference to the two events during his subsequent legal matters.

As I recall, Rush may have suggested that Mel sacked Clement partly because he (Clement) wouldn't drop Keogh.  I may be wrong but thought that Rush's point at that time was that Mel sought involvement in team selection.

This apparent suggestion always puzzled me because I though that Clement had dropped Keogh.

It's probably nothing of any significance

23 hours ago, reveldevil said:

If anyone wants Keogh gone based on not getting promotion with him in the team, it's based on superstition and bad ju-ju, rather than evidence.

In which case fair enough, but don't try and disguise it based upon his actual contribution on the pitch, because that would be a lie.

I bloody love him. But people have a right to wonder why we always 'bottle it' in February. There must be a reason?

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I bloody love him. But people have a right to wonder why we always 'bottle it' in February. There must be a reason?

Inconsistent managers (in philosophy and time served) and a pathological desire to strengthen most January's with worse players than those already at the club?

37 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We don't 'bottle it' in February. When did we 'bottle it' last season? 

Archived