Keogh's Derby promotion crusade

Carl Sagan

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I think he'd be inside my top 10 CBs in a Derby shirt (probably...) and I've been watching (properly) for more like 25 years

I think we get a bit ahead of ourselves when reviewing these players though - In the last 15 years we've mostly been a decent to good championship side - And in that context Keogh has been at/above the level of player for our level - Comparing him to McFarland or Stimac isn't fair

Why ? they are defenders who played for Derby! Igor was skipper at pride park. Surely we can compare all players we have seen play for Derby County.

40 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Why ? they are defenders who played for Derby! Igor was skipper at pride park. Surely we can compare all players we have seen play for Derby County.

I mean - You can compare whatever you want - Totally up to you

Personally though I think too many people say "well he's not as good as Stimac and therefore he's rubbish" without any context - Stimac was an excellent Premier League and international CB who we bought to kick us on in a promotion season (with the view of being the heart of our defence in the PL) - He played regularly in the team which finished third in the 1998 World Cup - Keogh was brought in to play in a mid-table championship team with aspirations of playing a little higher up the league

Keogh plays the same position at Virgil van Dijk - But no-one pretends he's as good - So I'd contend that isn't a fair comparison

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don’t like the term ‘bottling it’, hence why I put it in quotation marks. However, we did falter in that sort of period again last season.

In which case we 'bottled it' at Wembley too.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

In which case we 'bottled it' at Wembley too.

Nope. 

There’s no denying that we seem to falter post-Christmas every year. People label it as  bottling; I don’t agree but there must be a reason for it.

Losing your first play off final in five years when you’re the underdogs has nothing to do with the above.

Yeah, to be honest, he is fairly average defensively. Whole-hearted and committed, sticks his body on the line and always covers for his team mates but not a lot more and quick enough to play in a high-line. 

But there’s so much more to his game than that. He’s the best ball-playing centre-half in the division. 

He creates angles for himself, he drives the ball forward, he organises and orchestrates our moves through the thirds, he’s just about the only player we have who can zip it through the lines, he can speed up the tempo, he dictates where he wants the recipient of the ball to be, he almost always brings the ball down under his control and plays when most centre-halves would put it into touch.

He was the only player we had in 16/17 and 17/18 who create any sort of tempo.

The level we’re at, you replace him with a ‘proper defender’ and you lose more than you gain. 

7 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I mean - You can compare whatever you want - Totally up to you

Personally though I think too many people say "well he's not as good as Stimac and therefore he's rubbish" without any context - Stimac was an excellent Premier League and international CB who we bought to kick us on in a promotion season (with the view of being the heart of our defence in the PL) - He played regularly in the team which finished third in the 1998 World Cup - Keogh was brought in to play in a mid-table championship team with aspirations of playing a little higher up the league

Keogh plays the same position at Virgil van Dijk - But no-one pretends he's as good - So I'd contend that isn't a fair comparison

What Rubbish.

On 02/06/2019 at 12:15, unclej said:

I've read this thread and just cannot believe what I've seen here. The disguise is complete.

Our defending during his tenure has been woeful.  I've watched his own performances through my fingers most of the time. To think we could have taken him to the premiership! It just doesn't warrant thinking about.  Mana, Sane, Sterling, Hazard, Rashford... It would have been Cert X.  I doubt any reconstructive surgeon could put him right after being torn a new one every week. The children would have to be lead from the stadium in tears asking 'why are they treating that man with the beard so bad Daddy?'.  The shares in Persil would rocket as the laundry department battle to get the stains off the backside of his shorts.  

If you think being relegated in March was bad...

He's where he belongs. Running around, making the faces, punching the sky and duping you all into thinking he can play footie.

You suggest Keogh would struggle against top players such as Mana,Sana ,Hazard and the likes? most quality premier ship players struggle against them that's why you have mentioned these individuals as they are elite players. What present Derby player wouldn't struggle against any top six club opponent. Your argument is floored at best ,

5 minutes ago, unclej said:

I do not suggest he would simply struggle against that list of players.  My point was that he would tag along in a newly promoted team and be destroyed.

Absolute twaddle (again).  Your posts are so predictable you should be embarrassed.

Archived