Keogh's Derby promotion crusade

Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Syntax warrior alert! Modern day vernacular means that a bloke can be described as a legend for necking 12 pints and falling asleep with his strides round his ankles in a pub toilet. And why would you even think that I'd be interested in your personal definition of the word anyway? These days , many folk use the word to describe their mates for christ's sake and I'd suspect there are any number of other more suitable platforms for you to express your angst and disappointment at this perceived abuse of the English language than a footy forum.

As for Keogh having achieved 'nothing of note', he's skippered the side under half a dozen managers, taken us to the play-offs on multiple occasions, twice been the DCFC POTY, has represented the ROI international side at U19, U21 and senior level and has also been selected for the PFA Team of Year. Saying all of that is 'nothing of note' makes you seem a bit full of it really. Roy Mac he is not but neither is he nothing of note. Might I ask what you've achieved that is comparable, or do you also view your own career as being wholly unnoteworthy? The fact is, I don't share your appraisal of the value of any player with Keogh's passion, loyalty and ability and posts like yours add nothing to any debate and do literally nothing to change the views of those who find the endless barbs chucked at him nothing more than a tedious load of bilge. 

It's not really my personal defintion of the word, it's the English language's; but feel free to utilise ad hominem whenever feeling defensive.

As for the childish and spurious "he's a footballer, what have you ever done?" retort, I have achieved penty of note, both individually and as a team within my own career; unless of course you base success purely on celebrity and the amount of money is earned. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

It's not really my personal defintion of the word, it's the English language's; but feel free to utilise ad hominem whenever feeling defensive.

As for the childish and spurious "he's a footballer, what have you ever done?" retort, I have achieved penty of note, both individually and as a team within my own career; unless of course you base success purely on celebrity and the amount of money is earned. 

giphy.gif

This isn't going to sit well with the twitterati, the snowflake generation, the serial moaners, and the just plan stupid amongst us, but...

I have loved before; Tommy Johnson, Igor Stimac, and Paulo  Wanchope to name but a few.  And then there was THAT team; Prince William Hughes, George Thorne, et al.  For god's sake even now, a year after he left, my kids (who are 8 & 5) ran around all over Christmas screaming Johhny Brussell sprout most days!

Anyway.  Never been a hater.  But like you say, after five years of appreciating what he's brought to the team, I'm now coming out.

I love Richard Keogh.  Football genius.  

Keogh was class again tonight, my player of the season so far, love how he puts his body on the line for us every game,  never hardly misses a game, and even if he is having a off game he never hides, a great example to all at the club, and 90 percent of us rams fans love him to bits, the day he hangs up his boots, the other 10 percent will understand what a great player he was for us. Hope Keogh gets to the prem with us, he deserves to be our captain taking us there.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The fans that get on Keoghs back are more often than not also on the back of  Derby County. 

ie, idiots imo. If Keogh was only a 10% better player he would have been playing prem football most of his career.

He's one of the best cb in this league and most consistent player we have had in years. THAT'S the reason every manager picks him and speaks so highly of him.

And just look at the personal awards he's won in his career.

He's giving everything for this club and imo ALL fans should show him the respect he deserves.

• 3 months later...

Will Keogh every achieve promotion with Derby ? 

I am a big fan of Keogh his passion and love for our club is unquestionable, his work rate and commitment cannot be questioned and for me with what he has achieved will no doubt be classed as a Derby legend when his time comes to move on. But can anyone else imagine promotion with Keogh as captain ? Can they imagine him under a promotion banner or riding on a roof top bus past pride park with Derby in the promised land ? My heart says yes my head says no. 

Does he want it so bad it affects the ability to get the job done, is there a fear of losing or a fear of not achieving promotion with this club that spreads in the dressing room. There is no one man team for sure but the club captain is a big factor in mentality. 

Is this why we seem to stutter every January when in a good position and have to cling on or then fight for a playoff spot after chasing automatic promotion. Is it the fear of not achieving. I genuinely thought this was the year for Keogh personally after the assist for the winner against Leeds it was like it was fate I was so certain I had 20 quid on Derby to win and Keogh to score in the final. 

I sadly just cannot see promotion to the premier league with Keogh. 

Maybe I’m easily pleased but if we have 11 players on the pitch and a bench full of subs, all with Keogh’s work rate and commitment to the club, then I’ll continue to support and give my hard-earned cash to the club I love. Sure we could perhaps have players with a bit more skill or a bit more awareness or a bit more ability, but there again, I could support a top premiership side which, at the moment I don’t. Please let’s not make this season’s failure to gain promotion another ‘blame it on Keogh’ outcome! We’ll spoil a most enjoyable season which in most fans’ minds, exceeded expectations to get where we did.

23 minutes ago, TommygunDCFC said:

I am a big fan of Keogh his passion and love for our club is unquestionable, his work rate and commitment cannot be questioned and for me with what he has achieved will no doubt be classed as a Derby legend when his time comes to move on. But can anyone else imagine promotion with Keogh as captain ? Can they imagine him under a promotion banner or riding on a roof top bus past pride park with Derby in the promised land ? My heart says yes my head says no. 

Does he want it so bad it affects the ability to get the job done, is there a fear of losing or a fear of not achieving promotion with this club that spreads in the dressing room. There is no one man team for sure but the club captain is a big factor in mentality. 

Is this why we seem to stutter every January when in a good position and have to cling on or then fight for a playoff spot after chasing automatic promotion. Is it the fear of not achieving. I genuinely thought this was the year for Keogh personally after the assist for the winner against Leeds it was like it was fate I was so certain I had 20 quid on Derby to win and Keogh to score in the final. 

I sadly just cannot see promotion to the premier league with K

Curtis Davis is club captain isnt he? Keogh has just been standing in whilst he was injured.

As for the rest of the post yes i agree its all Keoghs fault. Just because he was on of our two best players last year alongside Tomori he isnt immune from criticism. With him in the team in 15/16 we conceded less goals than we had in a season for almost 30 years and again this year we have one of the best defences in the division. He was also our best attacking player for most of the first half of this year and basically set up 2 goals against dirty leeds. Apart from that and the passion, commitment, loyalty and the demon headmaster eyes i definitely agree he is the main reason we arent getting promoted. Why oh why does every football manager we have keep picking him in the starting 11 - it is baffling.

35 minutes ago, TommygunDCFC said:

Two points for me.

When Davies is fit he’s captain not Keogh, I think keoghs role is more like club captain.

Promotion does not depend upon Keogh as their are 10 more players in the team

Finally I think solving the unbalanced midfield we have and learning how to stop crosses coming in are much more important than any questions over Keoghs performances 

36 minutes ago, TommygunDCFC said:

If we could somehow wrangle tomori back for another season and keep bogle I have no concerns with our defence next season as I reckon they are still improving. 

Our failure at Wembley was not down to keogh who I can't remember doing anything wrong - so I hope that at least he exorcised any 2014 personal demons ?

The second goal was Keogh's fault, if he hadn't have dived in and blocked that shot it wouldn't have looped up in the air at such an awkward angle for Roos to deal with.

It's always Keogh's fault.

Always.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ??️??️??

1 hour ago, TommygunDCFC said:

Does he want it so bad it affects the ability to get the job done, is there a fear of losing or a fear of not achieving promotion with this club that spreads in the dressing room. 

1 hour ago, TommygunDCFC said:

I genuinely thoughtful this was the year for Keogh personally after the assist for the winner against Leeds it was like it was fate I was so certain I had 20 quid on Derby to win and Keogh to score in the final. 

I think you answered your first above point with your second. His performance against Leeds is up there with his best for the club.

Right then, when the pressure was on, when he wanted it so badly, he got the job done.

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

If we could somehow wrangle tomori back for another season and keep bogle I have no concerns with our defence next season as I reckon they are still improving. 

Our failure at Wembley was not down to keogh who I can't remember doing anything wrong - so I hope that at least he exorcised any 2014 personal demons ?

He was actually really good at Wembley. A couple of ‘Keogh, Keogh’ moments. 

I get the sentiment of the OP, but only in that I’d love to see him promoted, and I’m worried that time is running out for him. Eventually he will get older and fall down the pecking order. I just really hope he’s still here when we do get promoted, even if not as a regular starter. I’d even allow him a John Terry moment, he’s earnt it. 

The original post was never meant as a blame Keogh for everything band wagon. I agree that on his day there is no better in his position in the championship and on Monday some of the last ditch tackles he pulled off were goal saving challenges. It very much depends on the players around him, I want it for him as much as he wants it for this club I just wonder if it is meant to be.

Archived