Kelle Roos

Sean

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a fan of sweeper keeping, personally. But it's about the individual GK when it comes to whether it works as a tactic.

If the GK gets it right 99/100 then that's 99 times the opposition doesn't have the opportunity to think and measure their actions after getting in behind the defenders vs 1 easy goal.

If the GK only gets it right 1/100 then that's 99 times the opposition don't get challenged to think about their next moves because a goals been handed to them.

Obviously, no idea where Roos sits in that range - we've not seen nearly enough of him. In order to be comfortable long term with a keeper doing that, you're looking for at least an 80-85% success rate to help justify the times it goes wrong.

Right now I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but being a regular part of his game, he'll need to create a buffer of successes before he ducks up for the first time. Otherwise everyone will be on his back.

On 20/01/2019 at 00:01, Alpha said:

How were we lucky? I don't remember them creating much at all. 

The first 15 minutes are part of the game and we could have had our second goal before they even knew we'd scored the first. They were more lucky that they had something to play for in the second half.

Close game after 15-20 mins but they created less than us. 

Stats from Sky sports - Take it or leave it.

Derby                                                        Reading

35.2%              Possession                        64.8%

Shots

10                Total Shots                              9

4                  On Target                                2

4                  Off Target                                4

2                  Blocked                                    3

Passes

211/321                                                      497/605

(65.7%)        Passes                                     (82.1%)

45/98           Att 3rd                                    87/13

(45.9%)                                                        (66.9%)

7                  Key Passes                              7

Attack

2                  Clear cut chances                   2     etc etc etc.

Above would suggest that apart from the first 15 to 20 Reading had more of the ball, about the same chances of which those that counted ie 2 each, we took both they didn't.

23 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Above would suggest that apart from the first 15 to 20 Reading had more of the ball, about the same chances of which those that counted ie 2 each, we took both they didn't.

Our 2nd goal wasn't a clear cut chance, so it wasnt one of the two. I'd imagine the second clear cut chance was Mount's half volley 4 yards out.

51 minutes ago, David said:

Got to say I don’t like that, stopping crosses coming in shouldn’t be the keepers job, gets that wrong and there’s a good chance it’s in the net.

Up until 3-4 years ago, I'd have said the same.  But Neuer moved the goalposts (if you'll excuse the pun) on what we should expect from a top keeper.

Just now, CHCDerby said:

I like the stat where is says:

Derby 2 Reading 1

Indeed, indeed.

And if you delve further than the sky stats, there are more in-depth stats that show where that victory came from as well, and how it should have been a bigger margin.

We had 7 shots in the box, for example - to their 1. Frankly, our finishing was pretty woeful. 

15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Our 2nd goal wasn't a clear cut chance, so it wasnt one of the two. I'd imagine the second clear cut chance was Mount's half volley 4 yards out.

Because it took a deflection I wouldn't say it wasn't a clear cut chance. (personally)

At the end of the day they are just stats.

Just a thought.

I know how highly rated Zuberbuhler was by Mel and Carson. Carson has attributed one of the biggest changes to his game was being encouraged to come out to attackers AS LATE AS POSSIBLE, rather than early. 

In recent weeks I can think of two occasions in which Carson or Roos have come out ASAP to the attacker, made their mind of for them an been lobbed. This seems especially stupid considering how rapid Tomori is. 

I wonder if they’re being coached differently, which would affect performances.

14 hours ago, cannable said:

Just a thought.

I know how highly rated Zuberbuhler was by Mel and Carson. Carson has attributed one of the biggest changes to his game was being encouraged to come out to attackers AS LATE AS POSSIBLE, rather than early. 

In recent weeks I can think of two occasions in which Carson or Roos have come out ASAP to the attacker, made their mind of for them an been lobbed. This seems especially stupid considering how rapid Tomori is. 

I wonder if they’re being coached differently, which would affect performances.

I don't remember Carson getting lobbed? I remember Roos getting lobbed by Redmond (who is better on a technical level than most players we'll come across) - but I don't remember the other time? Past few weeks have all melded into my mind though.

Regardless of how fast your defenders are, you're trained as a GK to close down the angle as quickly as possible if the opposition get in behind the last defender. I don't think any coach would teach differently.

On a technical level, its more difficult to get a lob right, than to pick your spot when you get into the box (with a defender chasing) while the GK is still in their 6 yard box.

I think the difference you've noticed is that with Zuberbuhler we played, as I remember it, a deeper line than we do currently. So an attacker racing behind our defenders was very rare.

19 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Stats from Sky sports - Take it or leave it.

Derby                                                        Reading

35.2%              Possession                        64.8%

Shots

10                Total Shots                              9

4                  On Target                                2

4                  Off Target                                4

2                  Blocked                                    3

Passes

211/321                                                      497/605

(65.7%)        Passes                                     (82.1%)

45/98           Att 3rd                                    87/13

(45.9%)                                                        (66.9%)

7                  Key Passes                              7

Attack

Stats don't tell me full story, probably the best chance we had in the game, was in the first half when Holmes had the simplest of passes to feed Waghorne for a certain goal and he overhit the pass. Unfortunately, this wasn't on the highlights and wouldn't appear on any stats. 

5 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Stats don't tell me full story, probably the best chance we had in the game, was in the first half when Holmes had the simplest of passes to feed Waghorne for a certain goal and he overhit the pass. Unfortunately, this wasn't on the highlights and wouldn't appear on any stats. 

Like I said in the very first line of the post "Take it or leave it"

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I don't remember Carson getting lobbed? I remember Roos getting lobbed by Redmond (who is better on a technical level than most players we'll come across) - but I don't remember the other time? Past few weeks have all melded into my mind though.

Regardless of how fast your defenders are, you're trained as a GK to close down the angle as quickly as possible if the opposition get in behind the last defender. I don't think any coach would teach differently.

On a technical level, its more difficult to get a lob right, than to pick your spot when you get into the box (with a defender chasing) while the GK is still in their 6 yard box.

I think the difference you've noticed is that with Zuberbuhler we played, as I remember it, a deeper line than we do currently. So an attacker racing behind our defenders was very rare.

McGoldrick on Boxing Day 

40 minutes ago, ram59 said:

the best chance we had in the game, was in the first half when Holmes had the simplest of passes to feed Waghorne for a certain goal and he overhit the pass. Unfortunately, this wasn't on the highlights

Yes I was hoping to see this again.

At the time it seemed such a simple pass and I couldn't believe Holmes overhit it and sent Waggy too wide!

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

2 hours ago, cannable said:

McGoldrick on Boxing Day 

Bristol City in the game before as well. 

Archived