League & FA Cup 18/19

Boycie

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Correct VAR decision for Chelsea. 

It was. Still don't understand why not a corner then. 

I know its the rule but doesn't make much sense to me.

5 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

The FA Cup has lost its integrity, mainly due to continental managers comi g in and not respecting the competition. That and TV mucking up everything.. What pee’s me off is everyone in the game says how important the cup is, then the first thing they do is disrespect it.. TV likes to talk it up, then do the exact same thing.. 

IF any club, no matter what league they are in, pick s a chump 11. They deserve to go out, that includes us..

Ive had more arguments than I care to remember with people who say, ‘we’re better off out of the cup’ than anything else. It’s not technically true in terms of the league.. That’s rubbish. 

Watford, Bournemouth, Burnley all seem to think the cup is irrelevant.. I just don’t understand it. 

The BBC like to talk it up, cos the BBC have the rights. Sky couldn't give two hoots about it. BBC have to big it up, cos they want people to believe it's the most important thing in football. The pundits don't necessarily believe that, but they need people to watch the games.

Whereas Sky will have you believe that the prem, the champions league, and all the other games they have exclusive rights to are far more important than anything else, and the only thing worth watching.

It's all just media skewing the perspective.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

The BBC like to talk it up, cos the BBC have the rights. Sky couldn't give two hoots about it. BBC have to big it up, cos they want people to believe it's the most important thing in football. The pundits don't necessarily believe that, but they need people to watch the games.

Whereas Sky will have you believe that the prem, the champions league, and all the other games they have exclusive rights to are far more important than anything else, and the only thing worth watching.

It's all just media skewing the perspective.

Sky don’t have the Champions League/Europa League rights, although they do mention it more than they do the FA Cup.

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

For me the same rules should apply for all teams playing in the competition.

Surely the ref got it wrong anyway, if it wasn't a penalty to Wednesday why didnt they get a corner?  Why a drop kick? Farce. 

The point I was making is that no team is disadvantaged or gains an advantage because VAR is or isn't used in another cup game. 

The losers in all of this were Everton because VAR would have ruled the Millwall goal out. But, the fact that VAR was used at Chelsea is irrelevant as far as Everton are concerned. If it hadn't been used at Stamford Bridge then the goal would still have been given at the Den.

Same principle applies to Wednesday. Yes Millwall benefited from an error that would have been corrected by VAR but, Wednesday weren't playing Millwall.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

The point I was making is that no team is disadvantaged or gains an advantage because VAR is or isn't used in another cup game. 

The losers in all of this were Everton because VAR would have ruled the Millwall goal out. But, the fact that VAR was used at Chelsea is irrelevant as far as Everton are concerned. If it hadn't been used at Stamford Bridge then the goal would still have been given at the Den.

Same principle applies to Wednesday. Yes Millwall benefited from an error that would have been corrected by VAR but, Wednesday weren't playing Millwall.

Its a matter of opinion, but my view is why should one team progress in the same competition because technology was in place but another doesnt progress because it was absent.

I would agree it it was present in the Premier League but not the Championship. But for example if they do have in the PL and pick and choose games, what if the last game of the season Man City are awarded a VAR penalty, score and win, but Man Utd have a similar incident that should have been a penalty but because VAR wasnt present they only draw the game and lose the PL by one point.

I accept it could happen with no VAR present if the Ref makes a mistakes but if we are using technology to improve the decision making it should be used to benefit all teams not just a select few.

16 hours ago, Paul71 said:

It was. Still don't understand why not a corner then. 

I know its the rule but doesn't make much sense to me.

Incident occurred whilst ball was still in play. 

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Incident occurred whilst ball was still in play. 

I know. But had the referee not blown for an incorrect decision it would have been a corner.

Surely common sense should prevail. No one was going to stop it going out for a corner. 

If a drop ball is deemed to be the correct outcome why not allow it to be contested? 

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know. But had the referee not blown for an incorrect decision it would have been a corner.

Surely common sense should prevail. No one was going to stop it going out for a corner. 

If a drop ball is deemed to be the correct outcome why not allow it to be contested? 

Drop balls are always contested. Nothing in rules to suggest otherwise?

Your first point is precisely why VAR is here to stay, if it was incorrect and given..... imagine the uproar..... it needs fine tuning I agree, and I get the sentiment to give a corner, so maybe they’ll be change to VAR to enforce  that 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I guess the rule is that play stops at the moment the whistle is blown. Most of the time that’s probably fair, as it might bobble off to another player or whatever. And if that is the rule, it probably should be a blanket rule. It could always be argued by the defender that I heard the whistle and stopped, otherwise I would’ve been able to make the block, cos I am secretly the flash. So in situations like that it probably seems daft, but it should be consistent across the board, not a case by case thing. 

The ine where it will really open up a discussion is where it pops out of the tackle and into the net, ref blows for a foul by the attacks, bar rules no foul. Does the goal stand, or is it technically drop ball from the moment of the incorrect decision? And do the defending team do the right thing and poke it int heir own net (not a ducking chance)?

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Drop balls are always contested. Nothing in rules to suggest otherwise? 

There's also nothing in the rules to have five of your players surrounding the ball to win it back.

Sunday League drop balls were brutal.

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Its a matter of opinion, but my view is why should one team progress in the same competition because technology was in place but another doesnt progress because it was absent.

I would agree it it was present in the Premier League but not the Championship. But for example if they do have in the PL and pick and choose games, what if the last game of the season Man City are awarded a VAR penalty, score and win, but Man Utd have a similar incident that should have been a penalty but because VAR wasnt present they only draw the game and lose the PL by one point.

I accept it could happen with no VAR present if the Ref makes a mistakes but if we are using technology to improve the decision making it should be used to benefit all teams not just a select few.

Your analogy doesn't work though does it? In this scenario, whilst United may not be actually playing City in the final game of the season, they are competing indirectly because of the nature of a league competition. Therefore, both games or neither should have VAR becaus of the reasons you have described. 

However, in a knock out competition, unless they were playing each other, neither City or United would actually be impacted by the other having (or not having) VAR. They would still win or lose their own game regardless of what happened in the other.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Your analogy doesn't work though does it? In this scenario, whilst United may not be actually playing City in the final game of the season, they are competing indirectly because of the nature of a league competition. Therefore, both games or neither should have VAR becaus of the reasons you have described. 

However, in a knock out competition, unless they were playing each other, neither City or United would actually be impacted by the other having (or not having) VAR. They would still win or lose their own game regardless of what happened in the other.

But the end goal of both is to win a competition,  they aren't stand alone games. Don't see the difference myself.

Always rated Andy Madley (polar opposite to that prat of a brother of his) but just dropped an almighty clanger in giving Brentford a penalty which they've scored from to make it 2-2. Linesman 15 yards away in a perfect position just sided with the ref. I despair sometimes.

Archived