NFL 2019 Season

Day

This was an absolute win for us. We get a ball hawk, top 10 corner in Marcus Peters who goes from being the number 1 to being the number 2 corner for us behind Marlon Humphrey - who is certainly the best player you've never heard of, comfortably a top 3 corner in the game right now.

And what did we give up? Kenny Young who had just got benched for a guy signed off his sofa and a free 5th round pick the Vikings gave us for an undrafted kicker they didn't even end up putting on their roster (cheers @jimbo jones).

We've had a slew of injuries in our secondary which was looking very strong pre-season with starting cornerbacks Tavon Young and Jimmy Smith out and also safety Tony Jefferson out too, we also lost his back up DeShon Elliot last week too. Suddenly, it looks a lot better with Marcus Peters opposite Marlon Humphrey, with Earl Thomas over the top. Still have Chuck Clark at safety which isn't ideal, but Jimmy Smith should be back in a couple of weeks to be the third corner.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Srg said:

This was an absolute win for us. We get a ball hawk, top 10 corner in Marcus Peters who goes from being the number 1 to being the number 2 corner for us behind Marlon Humphrey - who is certainly the best player you've never heard of, comfortably a top 3 corner in the game right now.

And what did we give up? Kenny Young who had just got benched for a guy signed off his sofa and a free 5th round pick the Vikings gave us for an undrafted kicker they didn't even end up putting on their roster (cheers @jimbo jones).

We've had a slew of injuries in our secondary which was looking very strong pre-season with starting cornerbacks Tavon Young and Jimmy Smith out and also safety Tony Jefferson out too, we also lost his back up DeShon Elliot last week too. Suddenly, it looks a lot better with Marcus Peters opposite Marlon Humphrey, with Earl Thomas over the top. Still have Chuck Clark at safety which isn't ideal, but Jimmy Smith should be back in a couple of weeks to be the third corner.

Ravens definitely seem a lot stronger from all this.

Ranking CBs is an interesting conversation. I know Humphrey is playing at a probowl level, as is Gilmore at the Pats (against weak offense but still). Lattimore started slowly but has held Amari Cooper, Mike Evans and DJ Chark to a combined ~70 yards and 0 TDs over his last 3 games.

Ramsey's been "injured" for weeks, but didn't start the season well. How's Peterson and White (Bills) doing? Unless there's someone obvious I'm forgetting about because I've not seen them I'm pretty comfortable putting my "right now" top 3 as Humphrey, Gilmore and Lattimore.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

At least that move gave Dan Bailey a kick up the arse, and showed what I was saying all along the holder was the problem. We brought in Britton Colquitt to punt and hold and its 1 missed field goal, and a missed 48 yard extra point this season, so it wasn’t a complete waste...

Ravens have done very well out of it though. As for the Rams, is that like 4-5 years without a first round pick now? I don’t like that at all l, especially when it hasn’t even addressed the most glaring weakness on the team.

We desperately need a pass rusher, that's our main issue. Be very shocked if we don't throw multiple high picks at it this year. Our offense is ok now, could always do with more O Line, but we're ok. Will be pass rush and linebackers all the way in April.

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Top 10 corner? You've clearly not been watching him. He'd have been benched by now if we'd anybody to bench him for. 

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Top 10 corner? You've clearly not been watching him. He'd have been benched by now if we'd anybody to bench him for. 

Well top 13 by PFF grades, but in fairness, you thought Goff was better than Wentz so take your opinion with a large pinch of salt.

Peters is the very definition of a ball hawk, but he gives up a big play three times to every on playmaker moment. I think the Bucs game was probably the end of him - he was beyond abysmal but got a pick 6 to save face. The plays that he gave up, though, were just so painful. 

8 hours ago, Srg said:

Well top 13 by PFF grades, but in fairness, you thought Goff was better than Wentz so take your opinion with a large pinch of salt.

That made me laugh.

Largely because I didn't say he was better I said he outperformed Wentz last year after you said that Wentz was clearly better.

I'm pretty sure the disagreement kicked off because of that.

But ya know, it wasn't me thought that Goff was more pro-ready even though Wentz played in a pro-style offense and Goff had never played under center.

Goff looked terrible against San Fran and I'm concerned, but that doesn't take away that he did out perform Wentz last season.

As for Peters. he'll make some big plays, but he cannot play press with any #2 never mind a 1, so (like us) you will be playing zone.

He looked utterly dreadful last year when Talib was out and he was on the #1 WR.

Even in zone he gives up some horrible plays because he lacks discipline and is always looking to step in front of his man for the IT. He's a look at me kinda guy.

And it probably doesn't really matter,  but he's an utter plank. Wait till you hear his pressers, it's painful.

It was curious for the Chiefs to let him go and I thought we'd nicked him from what I'd read.  Hadn't seen that much of him.

But it was obvious why after a few games and my guess is that Phillips was thinking he could get him back to performing the way he was in his first two years.

Now the Rams bailed on him too.

Corners are like tackles in terms of good ones are really hard to come by and teams don't let top 10 CB's walk unless they really have to.

There were apparently 6 teams after Ramsey with Philly offering a 1, 2 and 4. 

There was no queue for Peters and the Ravens got him for a 5 and a back up.

As for PFF, I don't have a strong opinion tbf, but of the people's whose opinion I respect on the game, none of them take it seriously because their rankings cannot take into account so many intangibles.

But I rarely take close notice of players who aren't either playing the Rams or for the Rams.

I think one of two things will happen when we play the Ravens. Peters will pick Goff off twice returning one for a TD, or he'll get burned a couple of times and do a lot of pouting.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Peters is the very definition of a ball hawk, but he gives up a big play three times to every on playmaker moment. I think the Bucs game was probably the end of him - he was beyond abysmal but got a pick 6 to save face. The plays that he gave up, though, were just so painful. 

That's what he does. he makes that IT that has people (sometimes) forgetting his was pony the rest of the game.

Osweiler retiring seems a bit premature? Only 28 years old, surely he'd get a few more backup contracts over the next few years. 

Chiefs vs Broncos tonight, should be KC going 5 and 2. Just had a quick look at the AFC divisions vs NFC divisions and the NFC looks a lot tighter. NFC West looks disgusting for those involved. 

19 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Osweiler retiring seems a bit premature? Only 28 years old, surely he'd get a few more backup contracts over the next few years. 

Chiefs vs Broncos tonight, should be KC going 5 and 2. Just had a quick look at the AFC divisions vs NFC divisions and the NFC looks a lot tighter. NFC West looks disgusting for those involved. 

He has earned $60m ? 

I'd imagine most backups don't particularly enjoy being backups - but do it to build $$. Not many make that sort of hoard in that time, if they did I think they'd all retire at 28 tbh.

For reference, Josh McCown is 40 years old, is still active, and has earnt $50m total.

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Like SaintRam said he’s Meade more than enough money, if he doesn’t think he’s going to get a starting spot anywhere I can see why he’s done it.

NFC North & West are filthy divisions. I think we’ve got it worse as in the West it’s fairly likely Arizona come last. I couldn’t tell you with any confidence who’s coming where in the North. There’s a few more losses in our division, but we’ve had more divisional games where someone has to lose.

My money (if I placed bets) would be on the Broncos tonight.

Flacco's made a career of playing well against bad defenses. I find it hard to imagine Mahomes is healthy; and they don't have a good run game to punish the Broncos only defensive weakness.

Chiefs are obviously capable but I reckon the Broncos get the upset tonight.

Just now, SaintRam said:

My money (if I placed bets) would be on the Broncos tonight.

Flacco's made a career of playing well against bad defenses. I find it hard to imagine Mahomes is healthy; and they don't have a good run game to punish the Broncos only defensive weakness.

Chiefs are obviously capable but I reckon the Broncos get the upset tonight.

I’m all for Flacco having a great game, as long as Lindsay doesn’t ??

As we are playing the afc west teams this year, I will be keeping a close eye. Our trip to Arrowhead in a couple of weeks looked really daunting, now suddenly not so much. Though it’s always a tough place to go anyway.

Just now, jimbo jones said:

I’m all for Flacco having a great game, as long as Lindsay doesn’t ??

As we are playing the afc west teams this year, I will be keeping a close eye. Our trip to Arrowhead in a couple of weeks looked really daunting, now suddenly not so much. Though it’s always a tough place to go anyway.

If Mahomes get healthy between now and then it will be just as daunting as it felt a couple of weeks ago ? 

Archived