NFL 2019 Season

David

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, David said:

How’s that Donald shirt treating ya?

2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Going to be even more awkward when he’s wearing it at Wembley in a couple of weeks after being destroyed by Andy Dalton. ?

I'm sure Aaron will turn up, so I can still wear it happily. It's the Dalton/Goff disasterclass that I'm dreading. 

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Lions have been so unlucky this season. They're so much better than their record.

Exchange the words Lions, unlucky & better for  Packers, lucky & worse and you have a new sentence.

hopefully the Lions bad luck continues next week. 

27 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Exchange the words Lions, unlucky & better for  Packers, lucky & worse and you have a new sentence.

hopefully the Lions bad luck continues next week. 

Dno - the Lions are probably gonna have a chip on their shoulder after the officials gifted that to the Pats. I'd be wary if I were a viking.

44 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Dno - the Lions are probably gonna have a chip on their shoulder after the officials gifted that to the Pats. I'd be wary if I were a viking.

You get used to it playing the Packers twice a season...

im always wary of the Lions, even when they are terrible they’ve always got a divisional upset in them especially in Detroit.

In recent games we’ve destroyed Stafford on the blitz, 10 sacks last time out, they need to protect him better this time. Has the makings of a good game, there’s confidence back in minnesota after a couple of good performances.

16 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Honestly, every single game at Lambeau is the same....not that I’m biased or anything.

But, it does surprise me officials aren’t full time.

$14bn (2017) industry and there are like 120 officials total. 

Yet its their side job?! Directly effecting the outcome of games in a $14bn industry and they can't pay for them to hold it as a main job so they can be constantly learning/training/watching tape between games?

It's INSANE to me.

I don’t see how going full time would make a difference to be honest, are they likely to look at a pass interference different if they didn’t have to go and deliver the post on Monday morning?

On the field calls I give the officials a pass to get things wrong, so many action areas going off it’s incredibly difficult to get everything right.

When dodgy calls are given after review, that’s what gets my back up. Alberto Riveron needs replacing.

4 minutes ago, David said:

I don’t see how going full time would make a difference to be honest, are they likely to look at a pass interference different if they didn’t have to go and deliver the post on Monday morning?

On the field calls I give the officials a pass to get things wrong, so many action areas going off it’s incredibly difficult to get everything right.

When dodgy calls are given after review, that’s what gets my back up. Alberto Riveron needs replacing.

It would improve consistency of decisions made by the same group of officials, imo. Investing more time into something improves consistency; and that matters.

Also, the review process is is a castle built on sand because of how important the on-the-field call is. Needing it to be clear that something is wrong; in a sport where its so easy for that information to be obscured.

One example of a badly reviewed call from Saint v Buccs:

Saints fumble, Buccs recover; on-the-field called Receiver down by contact. It was an obvious fumble. After review: It was a fumble, but no clear recovery. Saints ball. 
Why was there no clear recovery? Because about 10 players all jumped onto the ball in a huge pile-up and apparently "it doesn't matter who comes out of the pile with it." - they have to see a recovery before the cameras lose sight of the ball.

So what they're saying there is, there's literally no point in ever reviewing anything if there was a pile-up of players. Because they can't see anything. They shouldn't even let coaches throw the flag.

Mistakes happen, but getting the call on-the-field right matters, even when a play is reviewable - and I think the truly abysmal "you'd have to be blind" calls would be far less frequent if the officials were full-time, and spending their full working hours watching tape, going through mistakes etc. They would, simply put, get better at their jobs. Like anyone would if they increased their hours working at it.

There's certainly an issue when everything gets slowed down on replay, which doesn't help with the outrage. It's a bit like offsides and VAR where the cameras aren't even powerful enough to have enough frames and they're deciding offside based on knee hair. 

But they definitely need to be full time. When you're full time and it's your sole job you're more accountable, you have more time to study and practice... everything is better. These guys must be working in an office for 8 hours a day most days then they're expected to be perfect on a Sunday. If Premier League referees are full time, it's insane NFL referees aren't - and let's face it, there's far more rules, and far more technical rules too.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

There's certainly an issue when everything gets slowed down on replay, which doesn't help with the outrage. It's a bit like offsides and VAR where the cameras aren't even powerful enough to have enough frames and they're deciding offside based on knee hair. 

But they definitely need to be full time. When you're full time and it's your sole job you're more accountable, you have more time to study and practice... everything is better. These guys must be working in an office for 8 hours a day most days then they're expected to be perfect on a Sunday. If Premier League referees are full time, it's insane NFL referees aren't - and let's face it, there's far more rules, and far more technical rules too.

You work full time, but can still see a horrible call when one has been made. 

I don’t buy it would make any difference if they could stick their feet up all day with Judge Judy on TV and flicking through reviews on the tablet. 

Giving them an excuse when one isn’t really needed.

I do agree it’s odd they are not full time given the money in the game, but just like the Premier League, horrible calls will still continue full time or not.

Not to harp on about the cheating Packers, but...

the amount of reviewed calls that go against what everyone else seems to be thinking amazes me. I go back to Diggs disallowed TD at Green Bay for OPI, literally no one (apart from packers fans) seemed to think it was a penalty except the clown reviewing the play.

Johnsons TD last night looked a close call, it was nice to see one go against the Packers for once, the refs more than made up for it though.  But that and what Saint said reminded  of a game last week, which I can’t remember who it was now ?‍♂️ But a QB Sneak for a TD was given on the field, on the mandatory review you couldn’t see the ball at all on the replays, so it went completely on the on field call. Which is why that needs to improve first.

You have to expect bad calls it’s human nature, but it just seems really poor at the moment. Then when they are getting reviews wrong it it just really leaves you scratching your head.

Archived