Watchable telly

dog

I don't think the format worked for anyone - if it made no sense on TV it must have been well confusing Insitu. There was some highlights though - the rider down the Seinne, the unique Olympic cauldron floating above Paris, and Celine Dion's comeback. I've never been a fan, but I couldn't deny the poignancy of her singing that song as a finale.

9 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Not sure if it's the home bias showing, but opening ceremonies peaked with London 2012. Danny Boyle is a genius. 

Beijing 2008 was pretty epic though.

I think each was generally judged as the "best yet" at the time. Tokyo was obviously spoilt by the pandemic and I can't recall watching the Rio opening ceremony, so for me, London is still the best yet, not least because it also acknowledged some of the darker aspects of our history (something that was entirely absent from Paris, bar the references to the Revolution).

Two things...

The Memsahib and I watched 'Gray' (Netflix), a CIA-style drama in 8 parts about a 'spy who came in from the cold' whose role was to unearth 'a mole'. Rotten Tomatoes audience score pans it - I can only assume that it's driven by American viewers who are, basically, as thick as pigshit. Not bad at all - does the job. Mick Hopkinson/10.

The Blacklist (Amazon Prime)- more CIA type stuff - this time, think 'The Silence of the Lambs' crossed with 'Sherlock Holmes'. Only 2 episodes in so far, so that's about 238 to go, so cannot really give a mark with any confidence.

Edited by Eddie

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Two things...

The Memsahib and I watched 'Gray' (Netflix), a CIA-style drama in 8 parts about a 'spy who came in from the cold' whose role was to unearth 'a mole'. Rotten Tomatoes audience score pans it - I can only assume that it's driven by American viewers who are, basically, as thick as pigshit. Not bad at all - does the job. Mick Hopkinson/10.

The Blacklist (Amazon Prime)- more CIA type stuff - this time, think 'The Silence of the Lambs' crossed with 'Sherlock Holmes'. Only 2 episodes in so far, so that's about 238 to go, so cannot really give a mark with any confidence.

I watched the Blacklist back in the day when it was first broadcast - absolute hokum most of the time, but strangely enjoyable - and James Spader is a watchable actor who plays the part without taking it too seriously...

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Two things...

I reckon I watched most of a series. 

Mate absolutely loved it....

I thought it was similar to '24', decent lead actor, light-ish but watchable. A 7 out of 10 thing...

Wayyy too many episodes to commit to for me at that standard though.

12 hours ago, Gaspode said:

I watched the Blacklist back in the day when it was first broadcast - absolute hokum most of the time, but strangely enjoyable - and James Spader is a watchable actor who plays the part without taking it too seriously...

10 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I reckon I watched most of a series. 

Mate absolutely loved it....

I thought it was similar to '24', decent lead actor, light-ish but watchable. A 7 out of 10 thing...

Wayyy too many episodes to commit to for me at that standard though.

5 episodes in now.

Utterly preposterous drivel - just can't stop watching it.

Finished season 3 of the Mayor of Kingstown last night and I'm happy to report that it's every bit as good as what's gone before. Somewhat incredibly, having parked his own snowplough on his head and died 3 times in transit to the ICU, Renner breezes through this looking ridiculously fit and healthy. The man is  clearly made of steel and yours truly is delighted that it now seems likely that season 4 will follow as apparently, viewing figures are astronomical. 

A brilliant binge boxset and definitely worth a look for anyone not already familiar with the series.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11712058/

Available on Paramount + (Amazon Prime) using the reduced price trial option

Really enjoying the Decameron on Netflix.

Based on the original tale of a group trying to escape the Black Death in 1348 by decamping at a country pile.

There are any number of subplots and it’s a mixture of drama and comedy, much as it would have been back then.

I really like the characters, especially Tindaro, a brilliant man child who bumbles through life. He should have his own show!

• 2 weeks later...

my missus is in Turkey, so I finally got to binge watch the Blokey stuff that she cannot get into.

Now up to date with :-

Mayor of Kingstown - Whilst enjoyable, far too far-fetched in the latest season. (Paramount +)

Lupin - French drama about a confidence trickster/thief. again Enjoyable and far-fetched. Think Oceans 11.12,13 and Sneaky Pete is terms of delivery (Netflix

Watched a couple of episodes of Umbrella Academy, having watched S1 and S2, but too much time has passed since watching them and I cannot even remember what happened.

A guilty pleasure of mine is the absolute nonsense of a show that is Cobra Kai. It's daft AF, beyond cheesy and the actual kung fu scenes are the worst choreographed I've ever seen. Furthermore, literally every season is exactly the same story line (nearly) as the last, but a bit like Ted Lasso, it just makes me smile.

The first half dozen episodes of what I assume will be the show's finale are available with another 10 dropping in November. Park your brain, get some popcorn in the pan and enjoy! Or not!

for anyone intrigued/entertained by the Essex Boys/Rettenden/Whitehouse Farm murders (Pat Tate/Tony Tucker/Craig Rolfe) there's another 2 part documentary on Prime, think it called Blood and Betrayal, and it reveals quite a lot about the evidence put forward in court to convict Michael Steele and Jack Whomes, stuff that has never been mentioned in any of the films etc.

Totally debunks any conspiracy in my opinion and well worth a watch

Ebou Adams/10

12 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

A guilty pleasure of mine is the absolute nonsense of a show that is Cobra Kai. It's daft AF, beyond cheesy and the actual kung fu scenes are the worst choreographed I've ever seen. Furthermore, literally every season is exactly the same story line (nearly) as the last, but a bit like Ted Lasso, it just makes me smile.

The first half dozen episodes of what I assume will be the show's finale are available with another 10 dropping in November. Park your brain, get some popcorn in the pan and enjoy! Or not!

I've posted about it several times on here. Have watched it several times, not a guilty pleasure for me, I'm a proud Johnny Lawrence fan-boy.

Still makes me laugh on repeated viewing. As long as you have a passing knowledge of especially the first film then that definitely helps- there's an awful lot of in-jokes.

The karate is largely mediocre at best (Daniel's daughter especially grates on me massively) but it's massively entertaining and funny.

The nostalgia is surprisingly well-done. Someone told me about it when it was very little known and I thought it sounded terrible as an idea. It shouldn't work ..but it really does. 

Edited by Chester40

Just finally coming to the end of Boardwalk Empire.

It's an absolutely fabulous series, with outstanding acting and scriptwriting, and I'll miss it.

I've looked it up for factual accuracy, and it's surprisingly on the money.

I had no clue Al Capone was a raging coke fiend, but on investigation, he was indeed fond of the Bolivian marching powder. He had real problems with withdrawal upon being arrested.

The way they tied so many real events into the story was very skillfully done.

We'll probably move on to Crime next, as we really liked the first season. Is anybody watching it?

13 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Just finally coming to the end of Boardwalk Empire.

It's an absolutely fabulous series, with outstanding acting and scriptwriting, and I'll miss it.

I've looked it up for factual accuracy, and it's surprisingly on the money.

I had no clue Al Capone was a raging coke fiend, but on investigation, he was indeed fond of the Bolivian marching powder. He had real problems with withdrawal upon being arrested.

The way they tied so many real events into the story was very skillfully done.

We'll probably move on to Crime next, as we really liked the first season. Is anybody watching it?

Bobby Cannabale as Gyp Rossetti was awesome 

On 17/07/2024 at 16:08, Anag Ram said:

Currently really enjoying End of Summer on BBC4.

Swedish drama with subtitles. If you can cope with that you’ll find a high quality watch. 

Story revolves around a grief counsellor who feels responsible for the disappearance/ death of her little brother 20 years earlier. The boy was her mum’s favourite.

A man wanders into one of her sessions and it transpires he is from the area, adopted and with sketchy memories of his past.

She begins to wonder if he could be her lost brother, much to the dismay of her family who have accepted he was abducted and most likely killed.

I find it gripping.

Love the sound of this 

10 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

I need a new series to watch. Really struggling to get into any tv at the moment. The last series I watched and loved were Top Boy and Supacell. 

Have you seen Gomorrah? It's like an Italian Top Boy, but maybe better. I kid you not, and lots in here will back me up on how good it is.

I never want to start a series with subtitles, but an episode or so in, and I forget.

Fauda is incredible, too. About the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) operating in the West Bank and Gaza. 5 seasons, I think, and I can only imagine with what is going on there now, even more powerful.